Locked out: a cautionary tale !

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Locked out: a cautionary tale !

Post by Quilter on Sun Jun 07, 2015 2:35 pm

Yesterday I managed to lock us out of the van.

We arrived at a campsite and my husband went up to reception to use the WiFi. I decided to follow him. The hab door was open, I locked the cab doors using the central locking button on the dashboard, and then went out of the hab door and shut it behind me. Being a safe sort of little campsite I didn' t lock it.

When we got back to the van the hab door was firmly locked. We had only left the kitchen rooflight open.

Enough to say that we did get in, did not have to call on our insurance or a French locksmith or anyone else but, had my husband been anything other than long and very skinny we might well have had to do so.

I didn' t realise it could be done but I shall be very wary in the future !

Q

Quilter

Female

Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EK TB LP

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Locked out: a cautionary tale !

Post by Cymro on Sun Jun 07, 2015 8:04 pm

Thanks for the reminder to treat the central locking with caution! I found out the same recently, but luckily both sets of keys were outside the motorhome.

Another layer of complication is the alarm system which has been fitted to mine. I don't want it activated whilst the AS is stored outside our back door. So I've discovered that - not using the central locking facility on the fob - the cab doors can be locked manually using the key in the driver's door (there isn't a keyed lock on the passenger's); that also locks the hab door. The hab door can then be unlocked from the outside using its (different) key - which leaves the 2 cab doors locked.

But using the electronically-operated central locking can indeed mean that you can lock yourself out.

When we collected the new AS in March, we were presented with the "master" key - which activated the central locking and the alarm - and another key - which couldn't control the alarm. That meant that if we both went to the campsite loos at the same time (or otherwise went out) the bearer of the "other" key couldn't get back in without setting off the alrm! We had to aquire an additional alarm fob.

It ain't simple, is it!

Cymro
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo ES

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Quilter on Sun Jun 07, 2015 8:51 pm

You're absolutely right ! There's a lot to be said for the days of straightforward key lock only doors.

Q

Quilter

Female

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Dutto on Mon Jun 08, 2015 12:27 am

Quilter wrote:You're absolutely right ! There's a lot to be said for the days of straightforward key lock only doors.

Q

Like on my good old Transit ....  up!    up!    up!  

.... where the driver's door can't even be locked by operating the internal system and then closing the door. allthumbz  allthumbz  allthumbz

I have always thought that automatically locking ANY door was a badly thought out "improvement". tap_fingers  tap_fingers  tap_fingers

Best regards,
drinksallround

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Duetto

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by modelman on Mon Jun 08, 2015 4:09 pm

I too was worried about this, so I put a duplicate set of EVERYTHING into a self-seal bag, then in another & these were put into an air-tight clip-lock sandwich sized polybox & this was bolted to the top of a rear chassis member well out of site & the wheel & road spray, OK, so its a bitch to get at, crawl under on your back & then reaching up to get at it but hey, its great to know its there if ever its needed.
Done the same with the house keys, had all 5 sets of locks changed to the latest anti-bump & anti-snap jobbies, 1 key fits all, & they too are 'buried' safely in the garden, just in case!!

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Talisman

View user profile http://www.modelslipway.com

Back to top Go down

Post by lucasg on Sat Jun 20, 2015 6:23 pm

Interesting thread.. As new owners this has concerned us too.
We've thought about putting the spare key on a necklace or belt and have a religious rule of wearing it whilst out. But there will always be that time...when...and it could be a bit of a pain etc.
The spare wheel idea is a good one. But I suppose it has insurance connotations?
How easy / what is the cost of getting another (spare) key for the autosleepers? What is the procedure for doing so.

I am going to think where and how I might secretively place a spare key on the AS
lucasg

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Bourton

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Quilter on Sat Jun 20, 2015 6:29 pm

We also realised that the same thing could happen if the door slammed shut in the wind when we were sitting outside ( having previously locked the cab doors ).

We have not come up with a solution to this other than being super-careful. We are not happy about leaving a key outside as, Sod' s law, it would be sure to fall off. Our insurance company also clearly specify that we must not leave either set of keys in the van when we are not there.

Q
Quilter

Female

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymro on Sat Jun 20, 2015 6:59 pm

Q: I have discovered the following on our Nuevo (Peugeot):

1. Using the top part of the fob unlocks all cab doors;

2. Using the centre part of the fob locks all doors and sets the alarm;

3. Using the lowest part of the fob locks tall doors;

4. Using the retractable, metal conventional key in the driver's door locks the fall doors, without setting the alarm;

5. Using the separate conventional key for the hab door unlocks the hab door whilst leaving the cab doors locked if they were locked by method 4; If the hab door later slams shut or is closed, it will not relock in these circumstances so you will not be locked out. So that's what I do on site - but of course the alarm isn't activated whilst the hab door is unlocked.

6. Using the hab door key does not lock the cab doors.

It's a mystery!! And I'm not confident that the above list is correct or comprehensive! So if anyone can supply the definitive guide, please let us share it!

Cymro

Cymro
Donator
Donator

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymro on Sat Jun 20, 2015 7:01 pm

Oh dear - I should have proofed that!

Point 1 - unlocks all doors, not only cab.

Point 3 - should say "locks all doors" - short ones, fat ones, tall ones, the lot!

C
Cymro
Donator
Donator

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Charliefarlie on Mon Jun 22, 2015 10:58 am

I have locked myself out of my works van twice. Left the keys in the rear and closed the doors. No way of getting in ! Both time it left me waiting for ages while another set of keys were driven out to me.

So I went to a locksmiths and had a key cut. It does not have the chip in it to allow the van to be started. This I have fixed in a sealed bag under the van with a cable tie. So the worst that can happen is I have to lie on the floor to get to it. Of course since doing this I haven't locked myself out ! 

Not a perfect solution but it works for me.

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Kemerton

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by artheytrate on Mon Jun 22, 2015 11:22 am

I have hidden the spare hab key in magnetive box under the van, I have also hidden the spare key to the built in safe inside the van where no one would ever find it.

John.
artheytrate

Male

Auto-Sleeper : None

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum