Drinking the water

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Drinking the water

Post by Chocolate Daisy on Wed Jun 03, 2015 1:14 pm

Do you drink the water from your fresh water tank, I know this sounds silly, but the last owners said they only use bottled water to be sure it's safe. So far we have been doing the same, we drink tap water at home so would prefer not to lug big bottles of water with us if possible.
Chocolate Daisy

Female

Member Age : 55
Auto-Sleeper : Pollensa
Vehicle Year : 2002

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Drinking the water

Post by Cymro on Wed Jun 03, 2015 1:27 pm

Certainly I drink the water from the tank. Have been doing so in motorhomes since 1998. And apart from a green complexion I'm fine.

I must admit I don't even bother to use Steradent / Milton to flush out the system at the start of each season, I just drain it for the winter, and then start again.

Most bugs are benign!
Cymro
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo ES
Vehicle Year : 2015

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by -mojo- on Wed Jun 03, 2015 1:43 pm

I guess it depends how risk-averse you are. One of the unfortunate things about the fresh water tanks on all of the A-S vans that I've owned in the past is that the overflow apertures on the top of the tank are crude and bigger than they seem to need to be. The result is that a small amount of road dust and spray constantly goes into the tank while you are driving, and this includes all manner of crud such as ground up roadkill and worse.

A lot of owners use a steriliser solution in the tank at the start of the season and that no doubt helps, but I tended to use mine for drinking only if it was boiled - I never found that carrying an extra 2l plastic bottle of drinking water was much of a problem, and 2l goes quite a long way if you ~only~ use it for drinking.

More modern vans seem to be better in this respect - my current van (not an A-S I should add) has the tank fully enclosed inside the vehicle, and so I drink the water from that without too much concern.

[I should also add that I agree with Cymro's point - ground up roadkill (and worse) probably won't do you much harm in tiny quantities. I would however be concerned if water sat in the tank for any length of time and would recommend a drain-down of the tank after every trip]
-mojo-

Male

Member Age : 20
Auto-Sleeper : Trooper
Vehicle Year : 2006

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Chocolate Daisy on Wed Jun 03, 2015 2:37 pm

Thank you for your replies, not sure I fancy that road kill in my drink of water. I'll probably continue using bottled for drinking and use tank for coffee after boiling.
Chocolate Daisy

Female

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Dutto on Wed Jun 03, 2015 4:25 pm

Hi there,

I agree with Cymro (that must be a first!) as I reckon people watch too many TV adverts and get scared on the subject of "hygiene".

On the van we chuck a couple of Milton tablets into the fresh-water tank every so often and use the water to wash up the dishes, wash vegetables, add to cooking recipes and to make coffee and tea.  We also use it to clean our teeth and wash ourselves.

Water as a "drink" (i.e. on its own and without whisky) is something that I try to avoid whether at home OR in the van .... Whistle1 Whistle1

.... but when we are somewhere hot we buy bottles of "eau de source" (i.e. the cheapest stuff available) to keep dehydration at bay .... allthumbz

.... mainly because it comes in its own container and can be kept in the refrigerator for days on end. up! up!

Best regards,
drinksallround

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Duetto

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Jaytee on Wed Jun 03, 2015 4:36 pm

Yep, same as Cymro. allthumbz

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 69
Auto-Sleeper : Winchcombe
Vehicle Year : 2013

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by micknhilary on Wed Jun 03, 2015 4:48 pm

I carry two smallish  containers which store quite readily when travelling. One of the first jobs on site is to take these containers to the site water tap to fill them up. One is kept inside the 'van for immediate use for tea, coffee etc and the other is left outside ready to be swopped over as needed. No problems and free to use.

Mick. wave
micknhilary
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : none
Vehicle Year : none

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by rogerblack on Wed Jun 03, 2015 4:53 pm

We seldom buy bottled water (other than some fizzy for making soft drinks up). However we carry a Brita filter jug with us which we fill straight from the site taps and use for any drinking water, tea & coffee making etc., same as we do at home.  This is not so much for hygiene reasons, but mainly to avoid scum and keep the kettle and coffee machine free of scale build up, as some sites have hard water (same as at home!) and also we prefer the taste (or lack of any!) of filtered water. Just personal preference.

When filling the jug, or the water container we use to up the on-board tank, we have learned always to let some water run through the tap first, having had earwigs, spiders, snails etc come out with it, especially when camping out of season when the tap may not be used regularly and it becomes a welcome shelter for said creatures . . . 

cheers
Roger
rogerblack
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 62
Auto-Sleeper : Pollensa/Boxer2.8HDi

View user profile http://www.crailholiday.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Chocolate Daisy on Wed Jun 03, 2015 6:33 pm

Thanks everyone, I like the ideas given. I am not too keen on the whisky in spite of my Scottish genes. Gin and tonic for me please:drinksallround 
Getting tap water on site sounds good, along with a filter jug I'll have to get one of those.
Earwigs! Their so creepy, don't mind the spiders, used to keep giant snails so our native snails are only babies ha ha.
Chocolate Daisy

Female

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by daisy mae on Wed Jun 03, 2015 7:16 pm

I never buy drinking water, I fill two 5ltre containers from the tap, that is for cold drinks and the dogs water, water in the tank is for everything else.
daisy mae
Donator
Donator

Female

Auto-Sleeper : Anniversary Clubman
Vehicle Year : Oct. 2003 VW 2.5 TDI

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Chocolate Daisy on Fri Jun 05, 2015 3:27 pm

daisy mae wrote:I never buy drinking water, I fill two 5ltre containers from the tap, that is for cold drinks and the dogs water, water in the tank is for everything else.
Just getting ready to go to Bath for weekend, will be using 5 Lt container for drinking water, thanks for your info.
Chocolate Daisy

Female

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by stoneb on Mon Jun 08, 2015 9:43 pm

12 years ago I bought a General Ecology Seagull water purifier. I have never bought bottled water - I don't need to. I could put river water in the water tank (not that I would tho!) and this purifier get rid of all bugs, reasons for 'nasty niffs / tastes' etc. It has a stainless steel filter canister, chrome finish outlet tap (faucet they call it) and food grade plastic pipes with stainless fittings.

Totally reliable, the expense was well worth it, it has been THE best accessory I ever bought. I have replaced the resin filter cartridge only twice in all this time.

NB I have no connection with the American manufacturer or UK dealer etc. I am merely an exceedingly customer of theirs. I can highly recommend it to you all, it can be transferred to another vehicle if required providing you don't make a hole in the worktop and leave it looking ugly.

Best wishes, Barry.
stoneb

Male

Member Age : 68
Auto-Sleeper : Winchcombe
Vehicle Year : 2014

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Peel on Fri Jun 12, 2015 3:28 pm

We & the kids drink water from the tank. Not a problem.
Peel

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Trident

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by m8form8 on Fri Jun 12, 2015 9:59 pm

Always drink water from the tank with no problem at all, too much hype over bottled water its usually less healthy than tap water anyways. European water directive means water has to be of drinkable standard from main supply's or labeled as not. Never had a problem ourselves.
m8form8

Male

Member Age : 59
Auto-Sleeper : None
Vehicle Year : Vehicle

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum