splutter and splatter

View previous topic View next topic Go down

splutter and splatter

Post by crogga on Mon Jun 01, 2015 2:53 pm

hello,hoping for advice.
carver cascade in a '98 executive.

heats water fine on ehu 16amp or 10amp plus gas.

problem is,getting at this lovely hot water, without standing,shielding myself with a towel while it literally spews out,in fits and starts,aided and abetted by a powerful,maleficent(not a real word but it sounds appropriate)pump!!

we are away in Mavis every w/e and i have always drained freshwater tank down.prior to coming home this sunday the hot water tap ran normally having had 2 days to vent it's spleen(and a lot of water)over us.

as we only use the hot water for washing purposes, should it be safe to leave the freshwater tank 3/4 full to avoid what i am assuming are air locks in my pipes?

kind regards from Crogga.please excuse the small font,but i am an old technophobe.
crogga

Male

Auto-Sleeper : peugeot executve

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: splutter and splatter

Post by -mojo- on Mon Jun 01, 2015 6:15 pm

Yes, but... bear in mind that if you do, you will be carrying around maybe 60 kilos of extra weight everywhere you go (IIRC a typical A-S tank is 70 or 80 litres).

This will obviously affect your fuel consumption - only by a small amount, but the effect is cumulative and fuel is expensive.

The other potential problem is that the tank mountings on many vans aren't that great, so it would be wise to check them regularly to ensure that it remains secure.

My previous van (a Flair) suffered badly from airlocks (because the pipework took what I considered to be a ridiculous route up and over the rear doors), but once the air was bled out of the system I didn't get major problems travelling with an empty tank provided I didn't drain the water system itself. Assuming the pump is working correctly, it has a built-in non-return valve so that water should only drain out of the (short, on a Flair) section from tank to pump.
-mojo-

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Trooper

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Jaytee on Mon Jun 01, 2015 10:17 pm

Definitely air as the pump builds up pressure to switch off the pressure switch with air still in the tank etc and then when you open the hot tap the air in the tank and pipes spews out. A good bleed and then do as Mojo says. 
When ever we have drained ours down and then refill we open just the cold taps initially until an air free flow then open hot taps until they run air free. Close taps and rock and roll.

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Winchcombe

View user profile

Back to top Go down

splatter and splutter

Post by crogga on Mon Jun 01, 2015 10:50 pm

thankyou both for your kind advice.never even considered the extra weight and fuel consumption!

will follow the advice on air bleeding,it makes sense.

thanks again for your time and experience,much needed when you're just a "bairn"

kind regards

Crogga
crogga

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Jaytee on Tue Jun 02, 2015 7:16 am

Just reading my post again; close the cold taps before opening the hot during the bleeding process up!

Donator
Donator

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by crogga on Mon Jun 08, 2015 1:48 pm

dear mojo,thanks for the advice re.weight of water in tank if left full.emptied it last night and took van for her weekly run.noticed big difference in engine performance and acceleration.
   kind regards
   Crogga
crogga

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by -mojo- on Mon Jun 08, 2015 5:27 pm

I must confess there is divided opinion on here about travelling with full or empty tanks. A significant proportion take the view that it adds a bit of weight but so what? The extra convenience for some is great enough to live with the slight loss of performance and slightly greater fuel consumption!

I tend to notice it more, probably because I've always owned smaller vans where the weight is more significant in terms of the overall proportion of the van's weight - for example the Trafic-based Rapport that I once owned struggled to make it up any steeper hill, even with no user payload on board. I suspect that on some of the bigger current vans you would hardly notice it at all...
-mojo-

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Trooper

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Jaytee on Mon Jun 08, 2015 6:24 pm

Have done both and it seems to only make about one MPG difference. So if I am britstoping/Aires or long journeys the convenience of having water available whenever I stop is well worth it.

Donator
Donator

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum