New Purchase

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

New Purchase

Post by Scratch on Sat May 30, 2015 4:54 pm

We are about to purchase our first motor home after being owners of a static for many years. The model we are in the process of getting is a 1997 Peugeot Talisman Auto-sleeper, it has 77K on the clock but NOT had a cam change, can anyone advise on how much a cam kit is, or what to expect to pay for the kit ? Thanks
Scratch

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Talisman
Vehicle Year : 1997

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: New Purchase

Post by Paulmold on Sat May 30, 2015 5:02 pm

What size engine, petrol or diesel?

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo ES
Vehicle Year : 2006

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Scratch on Sat May 30, 2015 5:17 pm

Oh yes, sorry that might help :)........2.5 diesel
Scratch

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold on Sat May 30, 2015 5:24 pm

Europarts quote the following, big difference between the two listed, don't know the difference except they show different number of teeth and width of belt (click on part details). If you enter the reg number hopefully it will be able to identify which you need..

http://www.eurocarparts.com/timing-belt-kits
Paulmold
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo ES
Vehicle Year : 2006

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Scratch on Sun May 31, 2015 12:52 am

Thank you for that information. Looks like it will cost £94.99 + fitting
Scratch

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by roli on Sun May 31, 2015 5:46 am

It will increase the price quite a bit but I would also consider having the rollers changed at the same time

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Warwick Duo
Vehicle Year : 2016

View user profile

Back to top Go down

CamRollers

Post by Scratch on Sun May 31, 2015 10:35 am

Hello Roger. Yes, didn't think about the rollers when looking for the cam kit thanks for the tip off up! Also, the guy we are buying from has not had a habitation check either, but I suppose as the body on the Talisman is fibreglass it probably wouldn't / or shouldn't leak anyway confused3 

Ian
Scratch

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by bikeralw on Sun May 31, 2015 11:07 am

Always recommended to have a new water pump when the cambelt is done as well, only adds £20 or so for a Boxer.
Al.
bikeralw

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo
Vehicle Year : 2004

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Cam Change

Post by Scratch on Sun May 31, 2015 11:25 am

Oh right. Looks like an expensive job having all this work done before we even have it but I suppose it's cheaper that having a new engine if the cam belt breaks etc..........thanks for all the info guys much appreciated up!
Scratch

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by daisy mae on Sun May 31, 2015 12:17 pm

Check the windows , they can and do leak, also check whether there are cracks in the window where the catches are, if they haven`t been closed the correct way, ie, when open and then  to close lift up first before closing, otherwise puts a strain on catches and then cracks the window.

Best to check with a damp meter if you can, have electrics and gas checked as well.cannot be too careful.

Good luck and enjoy your van, Monocoque`s are good vans.
daisy mae
Donator
Donator

Female

Auto-Sleeper : Anniversary Clubman
Vehicle Year : Oct. 2003 VW 2.5 TDI

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by bikeralw on Sun May 31, 2015 3:03 pm

I had the timing belt replaced on my 04 registered Boxer (2L HDI) last July, because although it had only done 40k, Peugeot recommend replacement at ten years old. The bill came to a tad under £300 including belt, rollers, water pump, antifreeze, labour and VAT. Although I could have saved maybe half by doing it myself, I preferred to leave this job to professionals.
bikeralw

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo
Vehicle Year : 2004

View user profile

Back to top Go down

New Proposed Purchase

Post by Scratch on Sun May 31, 2015 6:32 pm

Thanks to everyone who has replied to us and suggested cam belt changes / window leaks etc etc much appreciated up! 

Being new to all of this, our experience is with static's, so motor homes will be a great challenge I recon smile!

Not sure this the right way to go about it, but we have looked at 6 motor homes (or should I say rust buckets) over the passed few weeks, with only 1 out of the 6 being any good but that is NOT the one we are in fact hoping get We saw the proposed purchase on Ebay and have been talking to the seller via phone and email to secure a deal. They have been very up front with everything + many extra photos of the Talisman have been sent to us, the deal also includes a solar dash panel to trickle charge the battery + a sapera drive away awning and 2 x FULL gas bottles smile! our biggest dilemma is the fact that we have NOT seen this vehicle only the pic's, but gone with what the seller is saying about it so it's a bit of a gamble as it is located in the Northwest which is a 2.5hr drive from where we live mmmmmm.......any suggestions please scratch head
Scratch

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by roli on Sun May 31, 2015 6:48 pm

You need to see it. I have in the past looked at vans that have been within a 30 mile radius but at the moment am on a voluntary licence suspension till. October (provided my implanted defribulator doesn't activate)

I would always have a habitation check done if buying a pretty owned van

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Warwick Duo
Vehicle Year : 2016

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Scratch on Sun May 31, 2015 7:08 pm

Mmmmmm...thanks Roger. 

That is my wife's view on it (excuse the pun) as mentioned before, it's a 2.5hr (124mls) drive just to look at the possibility it's NOT for us however, all indications suggest its pretty good ha! ha!.......they would say that wouldn't they because they want to sell it, we are supposed to be going up to the Northwest by train next Sunday (one way) to pick up and drive back to the Midlands, if only this was so simple :)
Scratch

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by daisy mae on Sun May 31, 2015 7:28 pm

Can you say view with the proviso that it is what you want and the condition is acceptable to you, otherwise you lose a lot of money if it turns out to be a money pit. depends on the price you can get it for, just be careful.

The first one I went to look at was a three and half hours journey there and she wanted cash, I hated carrying all that cash with me,£8,000, it was a 1995 Trophy supposedly, more like a 1991 with a 1995 reg no.  when I saw it, more rust than anything, my husband said he wouldn`t have even got out the car to look at it, I thought it was only polite to speak to the lady concerned, I said it was not what I wanted. all around the windscreen was rust right up into the roof. it really was a mess, that was just for a starters, this didn`t show up on eBay.

it took me quite a few viewings before I found one I was happy to buy, unfortunately I had to pay two and half times my previous budget, as I soon realised what money was needed to get anything decent, if I could have done one up myself that would have been a different matter, interior wouldn`t have been the problem, but mechanics and body repairs to have a good job done would have meant paying out for professionals.

You have to weigh up the pro`s and con`s so I wish you luck and hope you find what you are looking for.
Best wishes,
Margaret.
daisy mae
Donator
Donator

Female

Auto-Sleeper : Anniversary Clubman
Vehicle Year : Oct. 2003 VW 2.5 TDI

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by bertb on Sun May 31, 2015 7:42 pm

FWIW I have just had the cam belt and water pump replaced on our 2003 Boxer 1.9l. 49k miles but 12 years old. Peugeot recommend 70k, I think, or 10 years. The job takes circa 4 hours and cost me £365 in Burton on Trent, Staffs. If that's any help. 
Just looked at the bill.
Cambelt kit £38.48
W/pump kit £14.99
Time 4.6 hrs £276
bertb

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Dorset
Vehicle Year : 2013

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by meanchris on Sun May 31, 2015 10:02 pm

Scratch wrote:Mmmmmm...thanks Roger. 

That is my wife's view on it (excuse the pun) as mentioned before, it's a 2.5hr (124mls) drive just to look at the possibility it's NOT for us however, all indications suggest its pretty good ha! ha!.......they would say that wouldn't they because they want to sell it, we are supposed to be going up to the Northwest by train next Sunday (one way) to pick up and drive back to the Midlands, if only this was so simple :)

We paid £299.83 for the timing belt kit (with pulleys), alternator belt, vacuum pump belt and fitting for our Boxer 2.5D Executive in Sept 2013 at 70,000 miles.

P.S. Whereabouts in the NW is it, I think there's a Talisman just over the hill from us, about 5 miles away?

meanchris

Male

Auto-Sleeper : None
Vehicle Year : N/A

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Scratch on Sun May 31, 2015 11:06 pm

Hello Meanchris.

Good info regarding timing belt kit etc thank you.

Not sure of the address re the Tailsman yet, but by chatting to the seller he says he lives about 500m away from Overpool rail station Elsemere Port CH66 3SL if that helps. Im trying to arrange for a colleague who lives up that way to possibly have a look for me as we are supposed to be traveling up on Sunday by train from the Midlands some 2.5hrs to maybe pick it up, we have NOT seen it yet either , cant get hold of the colleague as he maybe on hols so we might take a chance mmmmmm
Scratch

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by easylifer on Mon Jun 01, 2015 7:29 am

Hi,

Have you asked the advertiser if they would be willing to travel half way to meet you? At least it would show that the van was a runner and may give you a little negotiating leverage after they have put some effort and money into selling.

David
easylifer
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Executive

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Half Way Meet

Post by Scratch on Mon Jun 01, 2015 9:17 am

Hello David. Yes I have tried that from the beginning, but the seller said that he prefered to do business at his home address and wasn't prepared to travel shrugg

Ian
Scratch

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by meanchris on Mon Jun 01, 2015 10:47 am

Ian, when you get there, take your time and don't let him keep you occupied with idle chatter.

In the habitation:

Check that all the appliances work, heater and water heater on both gas and electricity.

Check that the fridge igniter is working properly and that it stops when the fridge lights on gas.

Check that the water pump runs and then stops when it reaches pressure. Also check that both Hot and Cold taps deliver a smooth water flow without coughing and spluttering.

Check the toilet flush pump works and that the toilet blade is opening/closing.

Check all the lights are working.

Check oven/hob/grill/igniter working.

If you don't know how to check something, make the owner do it for you.

Do the usual checks on the cab, tyres, spare, lights, MOT and advisories, clutch, engine oil, etc etc etc.

You know how it goes, and don't forget that the desire to drive away in your new van is very strong, so the owner has you on his home ground and at a disadvantage (he thinks ;) ) be prepared to catch the train home again if necessary.

P.S. Why can't I find the vehicle on ebay, is it no longer listed?

meanchris

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Scratch on Mon Jun 01, 2015 11:25 am

Hi Chris................Great info on everything I didn't realise needed to be checked, thank you very very much.

Yes, the sale has ended on ebay but I kept it on my watch list....not sure if you can still pick it up, but the ref number is: 181741280975. The asking price listed is NOT what I have negotiated :)
Scratch

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by meanchris on Mon Jun 01, 2015 11:55 am

Yes the listing is still available to browse.

It looks OK for the price, compared with what we paid for our '95 Executive, ours is the same engine but with slightly older style fittings (we'd love the later dark coloured oven like yours, apparently, and new ones are "only £500 darling"  hugegrins hugegrins hugegrins )

Make sure you have a test drive as a passenger, and watch listen for any struggles with gear selection, clutch rattle, slipping or grabbing clutch etc.

The 2.5 naturally aspirated engine is, according to my van dealer pal, absolutely unburstable. The only downside is that it struggles on long inclines, dropping down to 40mph on the French motorways is something we've got used to. Ours does 25mpg regardless of light or heavy footedness  winks

You could ask for him to plug into 230V, so that you can check that the Zig charger works, that the fridge works on 230V along with the heater and water heater as I said before.

Have a look at my threads on our improvements to our Exec, so far costing about £4K of which £2500 was the new leather upholstery from Regal.

Looking at what we originally paid for our van, we think we'd still break even if we came to sell.

http://www.autosleeper-ownersforum.com/t13923-executive-95-gets-new-vinyl-flooring-pics

meanchris

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by modelman on Mon Jun 01, 2015 12:43 pm

Hi, just had a look & it seems to be identical to mine, a couple of points, think about your bed layout, if you deicide on the 2 x singles (as we do ) the bulky 6ft long side-bolster is a pain to stash away, ( its the infill in the middle for the large double-bed) so ours is  bubble-wrapped & stored in the garage along with the gigantic, in the bloody way headrest!!
You CAN leave it in place, but it makes for a narrower bed.
Once that headrest is out of it, the whole interior is opened up.
Whilst we like the 4 separate seats, its not as comfortable as the long bench for sleeping on.
i.e. each bed comprises of FOUR bases, so 3 joints to 'fall' into. smile!

Donator
Donator

Male

Vehicle Year : 1998

View user profile http://www.modelslipway.com

Back to top Go down

Post by modelman on Mon Jun 01, 2015 1:00 pm

Something else, there should be 2 sets of blinds on the windows, the outer is a fly screen,  it pulls down & locks in several positions in the runners, the inner is the blackout blind & it also locks in several positions.
The roof-vents should 'pop' up, straight or at any angle, they all have swing-down fly-screens & spring loaded pull across blackout blinds, be careful with these roof vents,they are rather flimsy plastic mouldings & break easily.
Find the jack, wheel brace & winding handle, & if it has an awning, the winding handle is in a clip in the wardrobe

Donator
Donator

Male

Vehicle Year : 1998

View user profile http://www.modelslipway.com

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum