Attempted break in?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Attempted break in?

Post by Pamponi on Sat May 23, 2015 7:02 am

Just got the clubman back off off my Dad whome I share it with & we noticed that the rubber trim on the R/H side of the sliding window was hanging down & one of the screws that it covers was wound almost fully out.
There's no way vibration would cause this is there?
Looks to me like someone was trying to quietly get in but got disturbed.
Anyone else had this sort of thing happen??
Pamponi

Male

Member Age : 42
Auto-Sleeper : Clubman GL
Vehicle Year : 1999

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Attempted break in?

Post by roli on Sat May 23, 2015 8:28 am

Not on the windows but on our old van an Executive someone had a do at the habitation door,   fortunately just the door handle and not the door itself.   We found by a couple of phone calls the best/cheapest place was from its makers (Cheltenham Laminates who made the monocoques) and got it replaced at a fraction of what dealers and Autosleepers were quoting

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper : Warwick Duo
Vehicle Year : 2016

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Dutto on Sat May 23, 2015 9:51 am

Hi there,

"You've got it and they want it." is a Universal Constant.

Luckily it looks as if they were pretty amateur in their attempt at theft so you get to keep "it" for another day at least!  allthumbz allthumbz

We were woken up last Spring on a French motorway services area with someone trying the doors and discovered in the morning that the driver's door lock had been assaulted with something like a screwdriver. tap_fingers

Luckily for us, they (there were two of them at the van and two accomplices stood by a nearby car) legged it when they realised that a) The van was occupied. and b) We were awake! allthumbz allthumbz

This is the ONLY time that we have had problems and we have stayed overnight on French motorway service areas since then .... allthumbz

.... however, SWMBO sleeps so lightly that a gnat landing on the van would probably wake her up!  hugegrins

Best regards,
drinksallround

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Duetto

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by algy on Sat May 23, 2015 10:13 am

They must have been either dim or not know how the windows lock because why go through the bother of unscrewing a full window when a few seconds to prise the plastic catch and your in.Saying that I think a lot of thieves are dim.At least the scumbag didn't get in,are you gonna invest in an alarm.
algy
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 61
Vehicle Year : 1996

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Pamponi on Sat May 23, 2015 10:42 am

It's got an alarm. Might upgrade to a new/better one & central locking.
Pamponi

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by SteveUK on Sat May 23, 2015 10:55 am

I had the same thing happen last year on my Clubman, except it was screws on the right-hand vertical part nearest the habitation door.  It happened about four times before I used Locktite on the threads.  No recurrence since then.

I put it down to alternating high and low temperature as it happened over the course of a few days when the Clubman was not moved from the driveway.
SteveUK
Donator
Donator

Male

Vehicle Year : 2001

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by burlingtonboaby on Sat May 23, 2015 12:20 pm

Some ned tried to gain entry via the hab door window on the Nuevo, they used a screw driver or something similar to try and prise the window rubber out.
Fortunately the only damage was some nibbled paint work around the seal, later touched up at Willersey.
The van was alarmed with a Cobra cat 1, this would have gone off if they had of gained entry, only to be ignored by passers by.
Boaby
burlingtonboaby
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 68
Auto-Sleeper : Sigma EK
Vehicle Year : 2008

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Jaytee on Sun May 24, 2015 9:20 am

burlingtonboaby wrote:
The van was alarmed with a Cobra cat 1, this would have gone off if they had of gained entry, only to be ignored by passers by.
Boaby
This does raise the point 'is it worth fitting an additional hab alarm'?

I have pondered the additional cost for a while now. confused3

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 69
Auto-Sleeper : Winchcombe
Vehicle Year : 2013

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Dutto on Sun May 24, 2015 9:34 am

Hi there,

An Uncle of mine has a "dog" similar to this one that barks if anyone rings his doorbell ....

http://www.bitsandpiecesuk.co.uk/product/Barking-Dog-Doorbell/indoor_outdoor_novelties?p=&utm_medium=shopping_engine&CAWELAID=120154260000000519&CAGPSPN=pla&gclid=CLCgpez62cUCFcbnwgod9DEApg

I've often thought that it would be a great system to have as a deterrent on the van but just can't work out how I could install one! scratch head

I don't suppose we could ever get a potential thief to ring a doorbell .... think_smiley_46 think_smiley_46

.... and knowing my luck, I would return to a van full of rotting poisoned meat that a potential thief had thrown in to kill the dog!! Whistle1 Whistle1

The good news seems to be that the potential thieves that have attacked our vans aren't the sharpest knives in the drawer. allthumbz allthumbz

Best regards,
drinksallround

Donator
Donator

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by algy on Sun May 24, 2015 9:42 am

You can buy an intruder alarm that works on a PIR like the lights you can buy,but these either bark like crazy or a voice shouts out that you are been recorded on CCTV.But like Boaby said people ignore any alarm but the intruder wouldn't want any attention so you would hope he  would leg it.
algy
Donator
Donator

Male

Vehicle Year : 1996

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Pamponi on Mon May 25, 2015 7:08 am

The loosened screws were on the vertical part of the frame nearest
the hab door.
Could they work loose by themselves?
Pamponi

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Dutto on Mon May 25, 2015 9:47 am

Pamponi wrote:The loosened screws were on the vertical part of the frame nearest
the hab door.
Good question to which I don't have the answer.  Sorry!  shrugg

But screws can and do vibrate loose; as per a tale told by the wife of a mate of mine after a package holiday in the 60's.

Apparently on the flight back home her husband turned to her and said "Have you got your nail-file with you?"

She replied in the affirmative and handed it to him.  (Those were the days eh? Try carrying a nail-file nowadays ladies.)

She then watched him tighten up the retaining screws around the window next to their seat and was horrified to see that the screws kept vibrating loose within a few minutes of being re-tightened.

They both sat there for two hours expecting to be sucked out of the plane at any second when the window finally fell out .... tap_fingers tap_fingers

.... apparently unaware that the screws that they were so desperately tightening up were only holding an inner liner in place! Whistle1 Whistle1

Happy Days!! allthumbz

Best regards,
drinksallround

Donator
Donator

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by modelman on Mon May 25, 2015 4:33 pm

Dutto wrote:
Pamponi wrote:The loosened screws were on the vertical part of the frame nearest
the hab door.
Good question to which I don't have the answer.  Sorry!  shrugg

But screws can and do vibrate loose; as per a tale told by the wife of a mate of mine after a package holiday in the 60's.

Apparently on the flight back home her husband turned to her and said "Have you got your nail-file with you?"

She replied in the affirmative and handed it to him.  (Those were the days eh? Try carrying a nail-file nowadays ladies.)

She then watched him tighten up the retaining screws around the window next to their seat and was horrified to see that the screws kept vibrating loose within a few minutes of being re-tightened.

They both sat there for two hours expecting to be sucked out of the plane at any second when the window finally fell out .... tap_fingers tap_fingers

.... apparently unaware that the screws that they were so desperately tightening up were only holding an inner liner in place! Whistle1 Whistle1

Happy Days!! allthumbz

Best regards,
drinksallround
Hah!  
Off topic I know,but Dutto, your air plane storey reminded me of an 'incident' I had in the early 60's when I was a Yoof.
Girlfriend & I on a Viscount going off on holiday somewhere, can't remember where but I had a suit on (why??) anyroadup, this viscount had oval windows & muggins here took a nap whilst resting on the window, unknown to me this 'window' was in fact an emergency window & as such, when at altitude, it was 'sucked-out' a bit against its frame, this left a gap into which my jacket sleeve went in, when we landed, I woke to find my jacket sleeve well & truly stuck into the now non-existent gap, everyone off the aircraft except me, still tugging at my sleeve,  stewardess came along, 'not to worry sir' as she heaved on a lever or handle somewhere, whereupon the entire window assembly disappeared outward & downward, I shot off like a scalded cat as the smashing of glass down on the runway was still ringing in my ears.
I was a bit nervous on the return, but it was OK as it was a different plane. 
I've often wondered how that stewardess explained that one away. snigger

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 71
Auto-Sleeper : Talisman
Vehicle Year : 1998

View user profile http://www.modelslipway.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Pamponi on Thu May 28, 2015 7:55 am

I'm going to get security film (bit like window tinting film) fitted to the cab windows & I'll be making up something for the sliding windows.
Maybe a battery cut off too
Pamponi

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum