Car Polisher

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Car Polisher

Post by daisy mae on Wed May 20, 2015 7:49 pm

Aldi has a car polisher £14.99 thought it might be useful, then again would it be ok on the monocoque bodies? for polishing the wax coat ,

Anyone used one?. if so good /bad reviews.

Thank you,
Margaret
daisy mae
Donator
Donator

Female

Auto-Sleeper : Anniversary Clubman
Vehicle Year : Oct. 2003 VW 2.5 TDI

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Car Polisher

Post by bikeralw on Wed May 20, 2015 8:28 pm

I bought one last time they were on offer Margaret, they do save quite a bit of elbow grease, but make sure you have plenty of replacement pads, they do tend to clog up fast. These can be obtained on ebay quite cheap. Be careful not to apply too much pressure as the motor can overheat. Plus let it cool down every 15 minutes or so.
Al
bikeralw

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo
Vehicle Year : 2004

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by daisy mae on Wed May 20, 2015 9:54 pm

Thank you Al, was a bit concerned with the monocoque  body.
daisy mae
Donator
Donator

Female

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by m8form8 on Thu May 21, 2015 8:09 am

I have one of those, and have to say i used it for several years on my fiberglass boat but found the pads slip off very easily. The base pad also detaches from the base after a while.  It is also a heavy piece of kit to wield and the results are not terrific. If you want something better do what i do, go to Screwfix and order http://www.screwfix.com/p/karcher-fp303-polishing-pads-pack-of-3/33382 then buy an orbital sander that fits the pads. Like this one http://www.screwfix.com/p/energer-enb593sdr-random-orbit-sander-230-240v/49158 It will cost a few quid more but the pads are easily washed and the effect as a polisher is much better than the cheapo heavy and clumsy cheap polishers on the market.  It will require less effort and give a better shine to fiber glass bodies. The polish pads are held by velcro rather than elastic and are much better. It will cost a few quid more but last a lot longer.
m8form8

Male

Auto-Sleeper : None
Vehicle Year : Vehicle

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by daisy mae on Sat May 23, 2015 12:56 pm

Thanks guys, much appreciated, after weighing up the pros and cons , have decided not to go down that route, looked on you tube how to and in my inexperienced hands would probably do more harm than good, so sticking with elbow grease, fortunately MH still has a good shine when I bought it, from Spinney,  it had a  showroom finish and it has lasted. 

Did the side windows, these my new windows the dealer replaced  . got scratched on the narrow Norfolk lanes, they have come up a treat, no scratches now used Fenwicks window scratch treatment, so can recommend the product. also takes off the bloom that you can get on windows.
daisy mae
Donator
Donator

Female

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by kenjones on Sat May 23, 2015 6:53 pm

I've had a small electric polisher for a few years but don't use it much. It works well but still involves a lot of work.
I now use a dry wash/wax spray and micro fibre cloth. Easy to carry in the van and does a good job for minimum effort. I usually "wash" the van on site in about 30 mins. As the name suggests no water involved.
No more buckets and hoses for me.
kenjones
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : T4 Topaz LE
Vehicle Year : 2004

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum