Exhaust fumes & sooty bathroom

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Exhaust fumes & sooty bathroom

Post by CJ on Sat May 16, 2015 9:34 pm

Hi everyone. We've had our Amethyst for 4 years now, but there has always been a smell of exhaust fumes in the bathroom after driving. To be expected we thought because the exhaust outlet is just below. But annoyingly after a long trip on the road, everything in the bathroom is sooty. I finally got around to looking underneath and there is a large (probably an overflow) outlet just above the exhaust:

Now that's not a great design. I took out the bathroom cabinet today and look what I found! Yellow insulation all sooty, has anyone any experience of this? Any ideas how this can be solved? Because I don't!

CJ

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Amethyst
Vehicle Year : 1998

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Exhaust fumes & sooty bathroom

Post by -mojo- on Sun May 17, 2015 11:57 am

Is it possible that putting an extension on the exhaust would help? I know they look a bit too bling for most, but I wonder if a chrome tailpipe extension would help? Or an exhaust fitting firm would probably make up a downward-pointing extension which might reduce the effect a bit. If there are no gas appliances above, I'd be tempted to cover the holes over, though!
-mojo-

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Trooper
Vehicle Year : 2006

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by chrisvesey on Sun May 17, 2015 12:41 pm

Hi,
I wonder how much smoke your van is putting out and how old it is, a lot of vans have the exhaust coming out of the side rather than the back, possibly an exhaust depot could help to divert the fumes if you can't get rid of them. I think you need to have a really good look to see how the smoke gets in to insulation,
Regards,
Chris
chrisvesey
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : sold it
Vehicle Year : 2001

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by -mojo- on Sun May 17, 2015 4:57 pm

chrisvesey wrote:
I wonder how much smoke your van is putting out and how old it is

I wondered the same thing - I know diesels can be a bit smoky, but it's probably also worth getting the engine checked out. For example a slightly sticking EGR valve can generate a disproportionate amount of smoke, and they generally aren't that expensive to fix (or remove) in the overall scheme of things...
-mojo-

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Trooper
Vehicle Year : 2006

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by philip jones on Mon May 18, 2015 5:14 pm

our ( new to us ) Executive/ 1998 peugeot Boxer  had a similar problem with exhaust fumes entering the cabin.
Had the EGR valve serviced and general engine checkover with no problems identified but fumes continued making driving pretty uncomfortable. 
Solved the problem by fitting an exhaust chrome tailpipe extension.
The original seemed too short and fumes were entering the carver water heater compartment.
Worked a treat and cost next to nothing from Halfords
philip jones

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Executive

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum