The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Brown bread...

+4
Paulwest55
Johno
Dutto
groundhog
8 posters

Go down

Brown bread... Empty Brown bread...

Post by groundhog Tue Apr 21, 2015 9:19 am

Lady Groundhog is diabetic so the doc's recommend a healthy diet with plenty of grains, including wholemeal or wholewheat bread. For years we have been buying a premium brand of brown 'seeded batch' bread which contains loads of seeds without question.

Checked it this morning having watched an item on the news and it is in fact WHITE bread ( says so on the back in tiny writing) where the flour has been dyed to look brown and seeds added - absolute con in my mind!!

So be warned you might not be eating what you think.....

A very unhappy Groundhog with very happy seagulls in the garden. censored!
groundhog
groundhog
Donator
Donator

Auto-Sleeper : Worcester

Back to top Go down

Brown bread... Empty Re: Brown bread...

Post by Dutto Tue Apr 21, 2015 10:16 am

Hi there,

One of my pet hates is that food companies seem to put "profit" above all other elements of business, .... tap_fingers

.... including their customers health .... think_smiley_46

.... which is why we make almost everything we eat from scratch. allthumbz allthumbz

It's not that difficult.

Muesli .... get a packet of oats, toast it in a pan and then add a packet of mixed nuts and seeds.  It will keep for a month.

Bread .... two types.  Soda bread made to eat on the day and ordinary bread made as a three loaf batch one eaten and two frozen for later.

Meat .... we make our own corned beef, bacon, pulled pork, brisket, smoked chicken etc.  All done from fresh in batches and then frozen.

Fish .... we love salmon Gravlax.  (Three days to make and fifteen minutes to eat.)

Soups .... all with whole vegetable.  We never make just one bowl.  Make a pan full and freeze the stuff you don't eat.

All of the above (and almost everything else we eat and drink) are made from plain ingredients in an attempt to control what we eat ....

.... and contain an absolute minimum of sugar! allthumbz allthumbz

Best regards,
drinksallround

PS

Banging an old drum here, but the reason food manufacturers even bother to list the ingredients is down to an EU directive. Whistle1 Whistle1

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Duetto

Back to top Go down

Post by Johno Tue Apr 21, 2015 10:35 am

Hi Groundhog

I bake most of my bread and was recently informed by a friend more knowledgeable than me that brown bread flour is white refined flour with a few of the bits and pieces taken out during refining chucked back in again( forgive my technical turn of phrase hugegrins ), whereas wholemeal flour is not so highly refined and has all the good bits left in. Factory made bread also contains sugar in varying amounts depending on the manufacturer, not ideal if you have diabetes.

I must confess that I'm not a budding Paul Hollywood but the proud owner of a Panasonic bread maker which I really miss when on my motorhoming jaunts. so_sad

Cheers John up!
Johno
Johno
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 76
Auto-Sleeper : Eton
Vehicle Year : 2007

Back to top Go down

Post by Dutto Tue Apr 21, 2015 11:17 am

John,

I use the Panasonic (brilliant bit of kit) for the "French Bread" recipe overnight (oh how I wish I had the patience to wait the six hours that the Panasonic needs) but otherwise I do it by hand and bake it in the gas oven to keep the costs down!

Best regards,
drinksallround
Ian

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulwest55 Tue Apr 21, 2015 4:43 pm

Re brown bread
That reminds us of trying out the French bread in bread maker over night it was a new toy at the time oh what a din all night rumbling round being in a bungalow didn't help no up stairs to escape to.then the heartburn while it baked over night never again and you always end up with that funny dimple in the loaf from the mixer blade.found a brilliant bread book  James Morton  from bake off very user friendly and good sour dough recipes we make all our own and never buy any now
 Paul and Caz
Paulwest55
Paulwest55
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 68

Back to top Go down

Post by Nain Tue Apr 21, 2015 7:52 pm

Thanks for the heads-up groundhog. Going to check the wrapper on my seeded batch now!
Nain
Nain
Donator
Donator

Female

Member Age : 64
Auto-Sleeper : Ex AS Symbol
Vehicle Year : 1999

Back to top Go down

Post by shargrea Tue Apr 21, 2015 8:52 pm

As regards diet to combat diabetes, there seem to be 2 schools of thought:
1) The traditional approach: avoid white bread and stick to wholemeal bread (and rice etc).
2) The low carbohydrate diet (avoid sugar, all bread, and other wheat products, rice, and potatoes - on the grounds that they all have a high gylcaemic index, leading to high blood sugar)

Disclaimer: I am not a nutritionist.
But it's something you might want to investigate.
shargrea
shargrea

Male

Member Age : 60
Auto-Sleeper : Topaz
Vehicle Year : 2001

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue68 Tue Apr 21, 2015 10:44 pm

You could also check out the newcastle diet if you are type 2. Developed by the University of Newcastle
Sue68

Female

Member Age : 101
Vehicle Year : 1996

Back to top Go down

Post by Dutto Tue Apr 21, 2015 11:13 pm

Sue68 wrote:You could also check out the newcastle diet if you are type 2. Developed by the University of Newcastle
I hope they have improved it since I was a young man.

When I tried it I got into a lot of trouble!  tap_fingers

Four pints of Newcastle Brown with whisky chasers and I woke up in someone else's bed .... up! up!

.... and her husband wasn't all that pleased I can tell you. Whistle1 Whistle1 Whistle1

Happy Days! allthumbz allthumbz allthumbz

champagne   champagne   champagne   champagne

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Brown bread... Empty Its the bloody pills!

Post by m8form8 Wed Apr 22, 2015 8:51 am

shargrea wrote:As regards diet to combat diabetes, there seem to be 2 schools of thought:
1) The traditional approach: avoid white bread and stick to wholemeal bread (and rice etc).
2) The low carbohydrate diet (avoid sugar, all bread, and other wheat products, rice, and potatoes - on the grounds that they all have a high gylcaemic index, leading to high blood sugar)

Disclaimer: I am not a nutritionist.
But it's something you might want to investigate.

Diabetes is on the increase and Dr's blame bad diet, they don't tell you if you get recommend Atovastatin for high cholesterol they make you diabetic as well.  The rise in diabetics is probably down to the high incidence of older people being recommended that they take pills for cholesterol! That is what happened to me and my father in law and now we wonder if to get rid of diabetes we could just stop the pills????  Tried diets and made no difference to diabetic levels here!    scratch head
m8form8
m8form8

Male

Member Age : 65
Auto-Sleeper : None
Vehicle Year : Vehicle

Back to top Go down