no hookups

View previous topic View next topic Go down

no hookups

Post by sandman04 on Mon Apr 13, 2015 10:48 am

At the moment still camping[trailer tent] in the very near future will be purchasing auto-sleeper Peugeot boxer 320 mwb talisman type aprox 99 reg, but the site I use is strictly camping only[ shell island near barmouth ] but , they do allow motorhomes but no hookups ill just be using radio during the day and perhaps a little tv some nights  as I spend most of my time fishing.But I do believe I can use the fridge on gas and I could be spending as much as 3 weeks at a time there would the leisure battery stand up to this.Cheers,
sandman04

Male

Auto-Sleeper : none

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: no hookups

Post by Paulmold on Mon Apr 13, 2015 11:19 am

I think three weeks is pushing it unless you go off site every couple of days and run it for around an hour to recharge the battery or get a solar panel either roof fitted or portable (suggest at least a 60w portable). Don't forget your leisure battery also runs your water pump and fan on your heater if you need it. As you say , your fridge will run on gas as will your water heater.

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo ES

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by groundhog on Mon Apr 13, 2015 11:24 am

Have you thought about a small generator, some say a little anti social but there are some are very quiet ones these days?
groundhog
Donator
Donator

Auto-Sleeper : Worcester

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Brown on Mon Apr 13, 2015 11:33 am

The variables of battery capacity, age, temperature and use will all impact on the length of time between charges.  With everything as good as it can be and the use you describe I think you are looking at a maximum of a week between charges.

If you install 2 new 110AH batteries and a 100w solar panel you could well last the three weeks but fog, heavy rain, snow etc will all stop the panel charging so having a generator as an emergency backup would be a good idea.

Peter

Peter #1
Peter Brown
Staff Member
Staff Member

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Malvern

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by chrisvesey on Mon Apr 13, 2015 12:54 pm

Hi,
Summertime camping using minimum lighting and heating with a standard 70 amp leisure battery we could easily go for a week and probably a fortnight but we did not have a television. Remember that the cab radio runs from the starter battery so it is possible to flatten that if you are not carefull. I have rewired my radio to the leisure battery to prevent this.
Regards,
Chris
chrisvesey
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : sold it

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by sandman04 on Mon Apr 13, 2015 2:06 pm

Thanks for the comments, as regards generators the site wont allow,as regards radio last year I took the portable radio from home this lasted aprox 4 weeks for the limited time I used it. I think as peter says 2 no 110 amp batteries + 100 amp solar panel hopefully will suffice.Thanks,
sandman04

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by meanchris on Mon Apr 13, 2015 8:34 pm

You could also replace the G4 halogen bulbs in your spotlights with LEDs, and try to use the fluorescents as little as possible.

Even an LED TV uses quite a bit of battery juice too.
meanchris

Female

Auto-Sleeper : Executive

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by redturner37 on Mon Apr 13, 2015 8:35 pm

Forgive me for going off thread but the mention of Shell Island and Barmouth brought back fond camping memories. from the late 1950s. The entertainment centre / bar was an old nissan hut and one week we were there an unmanned aircraft from Short Brothers  crashed on Shell Island. We visited about 10 years ago with our Peugeot van an the changes were unbelievable.....
redturner37

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Harmony

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by sandman04 on Mon Apr 13, 2015 10:52 pm

yes Redturner a lot of changes but I love the place cant wait to buy an auto-sleeper to take there in the next few weeks .
sandman04

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by oxford chris on Tue Apr 28, 2015 2:38 pm

Dear Sandman,
Was thinking of visiting Barmouth area this summer mainly for the fishing.
You obviously know the area and it's potential well, could you give me some tips/info about the locale and site ?
Anything at all would be much appreciated.
Beach and rock marks plus some fly casting are my main interests, not so much of a boat fisher really. Also some river fly trouting if there is any in the area. Will probably stay for a couple of weeks, not quite sure when yet.
Regards,
Chris.
oxford chris

Male

Auto-Sleeper : aniversary clubman

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum