The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Auto-Sleeper Talisman with a towcar

+5
kenjones
stevomar
roli
deckie
Paulmold
9 posters

Go down

Auto-Sleeper Talisman with a towcar Empty Auto-Sleeper Talisman with a towcar

Post by Paulmold Mon Sep 26, 2011 2:25 pm

Left Lincoln show this morning, obviously saw loads of AS's over the weekend and left a few calling-cards. On way back we passed a '53' plate Talisman in mint condition, towing a Smart- Car. Now to me the Talisman is not a huge MH at 5.7 mtrs (my Symphony is 5.4 mtrs) so I don't get the need for a tow car. At the risk of upsetting members that tow a car, why? To me the Talisman is small enough for country lanes so why go to the expense of buying, insuring, taxing and MOTing a tow-car.
I've got my helmet on ready to be shot down!
Paulmold
Paulmold
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Auto-Sleeper Talisman with a towcar Empty Re: Auto-Sleeper Talisman with a towcar

Post by deckie Mon Sep 26, 2011 4:02 pm

Hi Paul,

It seems a bit strange to me also (we can be shot together hugegrins ) Have towed a car behind RV's before and found it a pain in the rear end (sorry about that snigger ) It created so many problems, before,during and after the trip .... not worth it. (before anyone has a go ... i had a HGV class one for 40 yrs),
Let the sparks fly, i have broad shoulders (and belly Whistle1 )
Brian
deckie
deckie
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 78
Auto-Sleeper : Clubman GL

Back to top Go down

Auto-Sleeper Talisman with a towcar Empty Re: Auto-Sleeper Talisman with a towcar

Post by roli Tue Sep 27, 2011 12:24 am

Sounds like some friends of ours. Joan isnt able to walk very far and its just convenient to have it with them.

I must admit I dont see the logic of towing a car behind a motorhome ( two lots of Road Fund ) If I felt the need to have a car with me I would revert back to a caravan and just pay one RFL
roli
roli

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Warwick Duo
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by stevomar Tue Sep 27, 2011 9:22 am

roli wrote:Sounds like some friends of ours. Joan isnt able to walk very far and its just convenient to have it with them.

I must admit I dont see the logic of towing a car behind a motorhome ( two lots of Road Fund ) If I felt the need to have a car with me I would revert back to a caravan and just pay one RFL

That's 4 of us in the firing line
Agree with you roli - I would rather have a caravan than tow a car with a MH but I realise it's all a matter of personal choice.
In fact I've just sold a small Freedom caravan that I was planning to tow with the Trident but will consider buying an Eriba Puch when we need more room for extra bodies.
Cheers
Stevo

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 68
Auto-Sleeper : VW Trident

Back to top Go down

Post by kenjones Sun Oct 02, 2011 10:39 am

I own a Smart Passion Cabrio which is used most days and great fun to drive.
Our 2.5 tdi Topaz has power to spare and I seriously considered towing but really can't see the point as we enjoy touring and move most days.
We have just returned from a trip around the Welsh mountains and coast where in many situations a towed vehicle would have been a nuisance.
The van was chosen for this type of use so the Smart will stay at home.
If we liked to stay in one place a tow caravan with a larger car may be more suitable.
On the rare occasions where we would use the Smart Cathy could drive it there with the cost of petrol being considerably less than the cost of an "A" frame or trailer.
kenjones
kenjones
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 76
Auto-Sleeper : T4 Topaz LE
Vehicle Year : 2004

Back to top Go down

Post by ade700 Sun Oct 02, 2011 10:44 am

i brought a fiat car yesterday that has a bracket mounted on the front that the last owner used to tow behind his motorhome , dont think my t25 will be man enough to tow it thou hugegrins

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 55
Auto-Sleeper : Trooper T25

Back to top Go down

Auto-Sleeper Talisman with a towcar Empty Talisman with a Tow-car

Post by Lyonnesse Mon Dec 19, 2011 11:48 am

Have towed a Panda behind a Talisman thousands of miles, adds 13% to fuel costs but increases enjoyment by 200%. Met friends in Gorge du Tarn and explored without anxiety, visit kids and can take grandchildren out for the day. Can visit remote birdwatching sites many of which are inaccessible to motorhomes.
Wouldn't be without a tow car, but do like to have the choice of whether to take it or not.
Pippin
Lyonnesse
Lyonnesse

Auto-Sleeper : Broadway

Back to top Go down

Post by Johno Mon Dec 19, 2011 4:14 pm

As someone who has regularly alternated between motorhoming and tugging I can't understand towing a car with a motorhome. confused3
To me the main reason for a motor home is to do away with the hassle involved with towing.
So if you're going to tow why not tow a caravan ? as they are less of a compromise than motorhomes and the benefits caravans offer are only outweighed by the hassle of towing i.e reversing up narrow Devon lanes when coming face to face with HGVs, tractors with trailors, snaking at speed and the anger and abuse of other road users who you may have held up for a minute or so, not to mention the 50 & 60mph limits so_sad .
This is just my humble opinion and I apolgise for any offense caused surrender , this possibly puts me in line to be shot also now where's that blindfold ?.

John.
Johno
Johno
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 76
Auto-Sleeper : Eton
Vehicle Year : 2007

Back to top Go down

Auto-Sleeper Talisman with a towcar Empty Re: Talisman with a towcar

Post by vwt4 Mon Dec 19, 2011 7:24 pm

We just have a couple of electric bikes on the bike rack, that does us fine, couldn't tow a car if I wanted to, apparently you can't fit a tow bar to a Trophy, something to do with the extension on the back
vwt4
mike
vwt4
vwt4

Male

Member Age : 77
Auto-Sleeper : Trophy
Vehicle Year : 1994

Back to top Go down