Which Water Tank

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Which Water Tank

Post by adrianfo on Tue Apr 07, 2015 5:13 pm

Hi
Am I right in thinking that on a MH blue pipes and taps on a tank would indicate fresh water, the reason I ask;
I noticed when we inherited the Legend that there was a leak coming from a blue tap which is fixed rigidly into the end of a tank. The tank is directly below the point where water is taken on board. This is the van offside, between the water heater and EHU point. I'm a little puzzled. I was told that the leaking tap was in fact waste water and not to worry too much about it. After reading, probably too much, I've come to the conclusion that blue equates to fresh. Today I filled and primed the water system, got the water heater working and thought everything was ship shape for tomorrows cast off. I then noticed the leak again, so I got on my back and had a look underneath. That's when I noticed the blue tap and piping. Is the tap screwed into a retaining nut on the inside of the tank. If so I think I could unscrew it and bung it up with a cork, get some Teflon tape into the thread and re fit it without losing too much water and avoid having to re-prime the system.
Anyone have an idea?
Cheers
Adrian
adrianfo
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Legend 2.5L Transit
Vehicle Year : 2000 Mk5

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Which Water Tank

Post by easylifer on Tue Apr 07, 2015 8:13 pm

Probably a bit too obvious but is it the freshwater tank drain tap?
David
easylifer
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Executive

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by daisy mae on Tue Apr 07, 2015 8:24 pm

The tap on my tank has a retaining screw on the inside, I had to drop the  tank  take off the  tap, remove retaining screw and replace with a new tap and put the retaining screw back on, only way was for me to put my hand in the tank and do it that way, not a lot of room, luckily I have small hands so could do it.

Perhaps you could do a temporary repair for the time being. all is not lost even if you haven`t water in the tankyou , can survive very well without it. Just have a couple of containers for the water, and use as required.

I also sealed the tap with a sealant to make double sure it was water tight.

Last edited by daisy mae on Tue Apr 07, 2015 8:25 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : sealant)
daisy mae
Donator
Donator

Female

Auto-Sleeper : Anniversary Clubman
Vehicle Year : Oct. 2003 VW 2.5 TDI

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by adrianfo on Tue Apr 07, 2015 9:42 pm

Hi Daisy
I wish I'd sussed it earlier. I could have done a bit of a temp Heath Robinson on it and waited until I get it indoors over the winter to have a proper look.
Hi David,
So I guess blue is fresh water. Sorry if I come across as a bit naive but up until three, four weeks ago caravans and motor homes were not a part of my life. The only way I can suss this in a hurry is by reading up on it and then confirming it with people who know. Things like orange juice in the drains to help keep them smelling fresh, who'd have thought it...................we live and learn!
Cheers
Adrian
adrianfo
Donator
Donator

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by chrisvesey on Wed Apr 08, 2015 9:06 am

Hi,
Autosleeper sealed mine with sealant around the ouside about 8 years ago, still like it now,
Chris
chrisvesey
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : sold it
Vehicle Year : 2001

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Brown on Wed Apr 08, 2015 9:22 am

Don't rely on colour as a guide, you've no idea who has done what in the past.

The fresh water tank has the fresh water filler pipe routed to it and the grey water tank the drains from sink and shower.

Peter

Peter #1
Peter Brown
Staff Member
Staff Member

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Malvern
Vehicle Year : October 2011

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by adrianfo on Thu Apr 09, 2015 9:57 pm

Thanks everyone, it's the fresh water tank. The more it leaks the less shows on the water meter within the control panel.
adrianfo
Donator
Donator

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Jaytee on Thu Apr 09, 2015 10:16 pm

Hope you get it sussed ok up!

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Winchcombe
Vehicle Year : 2013

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by meanchris on Thu Apr 09, 2015 10:44 pm

adrianfo wrote:Thanks everyone, it's the fresh water tank. The more it leaks the less shows on the water meter within the control panel.

If it's anything like the one on our Exec, I noticed it dripping soon after we bought it.

The drain hose comes out of the bottom of the tank on the offside and terminates in a plastic tap which is clipped under the side skirt.

The stub in the tank was dripping and, when I looked more closely, I could see the desperate strands of pitufee (PTFE) tape that had been wound around the threads and then coated with bathroom silicon, to "make a perfect job".  up! hugegrins

I gingerly removed the drain hose, to avoid disturbing the historically important fitting ( 1995 Grade II listed) and then poked my finger inside the stub. I could feel what was obviously a locking nut, partially jammed between the stub and the bottom of the tank, but not screwed onto the thread. Amazingly, I was able to manipulate the locking nut back over the thread and spin it onto the stub, using just one finger (a lifetime in industry, repairing machines designed by idiots [my family] has trained me for just this eventuality).

"Aha", I thought, "now all I have to do is rotate the stub and tighten the nut, and Robert is my close relative". Ha, no such luck, the thread on the stub boss was jumping when tightened, revealing the reason for the wad of pitufee and silicon.

In the end, removal and refurbish of the fresh water tank was the only option. I was glad that I stripped the tank in the end, as it was coated in slime on the bottom, which I was able to scrub out, through the inspection hatch on top of the tank.
I also checked and tightened all the fittings and hoses, as well as the steel screwed hooks and nuts that secure the tank to the chassis.

Anyhow, it doesn't leak now.  up! hugegrins

meanchris

Male

Auto-Sleeper : None
Vehicle Year : N/A

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by adrianfo on Thu Apr 09, 2015 11:11 pm

Dropping the tank would definitely be an option. I'd have to know for sure that there's an inspection panel in this tank as well. It would be good to get in there, even if only to give it a proper clean out. I think I'll give Alan a ring at AS and pick his brains.
Cheers
Adrian
adrianfo
Donator
Donator

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by adrianfo on Sat Apr 11, 2015 7:22 pm

Hi
We're back now. It's on the drive, thanks for all the tips and advice. I'm going to get stuck into a few things in the next couple of weeks. In the words of Arnie, "I'll be back"
Cheers
Adrian
adrianfo
Donator
Donator

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum: