Cleaning/polishing

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Cleaning/polishing

Post by Russty on Sun Aug 14, 2016 9:32 am

Will let you know how long it lasts !! I was a valeter and have applied a lot in the past but not seen how it stands up to time
Russty

Male

Member Age : 58
Auto-Sleeper : Symphony
Vehicle Year : Vehicle

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by groundhog on Mon Dec 12, 2016 11:27 am

How is your van six months on Russty? Interested to know what Williams durability is like.

I am thinking of trying Aglaze sealant, used by people from Boeing and Airbus to Princess Yachts and Sunseeker and allegedly lasts years if treated properly. Like most here waxing the van is still a chore and whilst some carnauba waxes are slightly better than others, no matter if you area fan of collinite, meguiars or any other, none will give more than six months or so protection that I am aware of.
groundhog
Donator
Donator

Auto-Sleeper : Worcester

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold on Mon Dec 12, 2016 12:00 pm

Have you seen this product. The seller is a Fun forum member..

Look at this on eBay  http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/112225555500

PS - russty's last visit to forum was August 22nd.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 66
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo ES
Vehicle Year : 2006

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by groundhog on Mon Dec 12, 2016 10:18 pm

Thanks for the link Paul, any time he is passing with a bottle he is welcome to keep going!! wave
groundhog
Donator
Donator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold on Mon Dec 12, 2016 10:34 pm

Why, do you know something bad about it??

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 66
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo ES
Vehicle Year : 2006

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by groundhog on Tue Dec 13, 2016 4:59 pm

Funnily enough I do....there is no information what the liquid is on the very poorly labelled bottle, we are told what it doesn't contain but not what it does, could be essence of cow poo or the finest Patagonian orchid flower we have no idea. I will not be smearing that over my precious GRP thanks. We do know though that it is abrasive, so is an electric sander so not much help there. 500g of T cut is about a fiver, half the price, does the same job only you know what it is doing to the gelcoat!

There is a resin wax which goes with it, similarly poorly labelled, enhancing is spelt enhancing! Again we have no idea what is in the bottle but priced at £10.99 it sits against resin wax like Farecla G3 7166 professional a highly regarded, proven and well known product at almost exactly the same price.

Of course it MAY be that these are miracle products of a quality unsurpassed by anything else available in which case the vendor should provide some analysis or at least basic information, take a marketing course and charge ten times as much for it.

Finally, if your REALLY want to but this product it is £1 cheaper at £9.99 on Parrotsol's own website than on fleebay!!

Good luck to the vendor though, too little entrepreneurial endeavour about these days!
groundhog
Donator
Donator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Meguiar's on GRP?

Post by Roger Pratt on Fri Apr 14, 2017 11:21 am

Groundhog, your advice last year on cleaning is very helpful, thank you. One query - I've bought some Meguiar's Cleaner Wax, but I now see that it says "KEEP OFF NON-PAINTED SURFACES". The grp bodies of our vans are non-painted. Gel coat is not a paint. Comments please! Thanks, Roger smile!
Roger Pratt

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Clubman Anniversary
Vehicle Year : November

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by kaspian on Fri Apr 14, 2017 12:17 pm

Hi all can recommend the use of microfibre towels to dry then polish/ wax your van . I used to be a traditionalist using a chamois leather to dry then old flannel sheets to polish but just bought a Kent large microfibre towel from Amazon under £4 that dries the whole van in one go without scratching . Important as we gave 2 black cars that I  Get the task of cleaning regularly!

kaspian

Male

Member Age : 57
Auto-Sleeper : kemerton
Vehicle Year : 2014

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by rogerblack on Fri Apr 14, 2017 1:32 pm

Roger Pratt wrote:Groundhog, your advice last year on cleaning is very helpful, thank you. One query - I've bought some Meguiar's Cleaner Wax, but I now see that it says "KEEP OFF NON-PAINTED SURFACES". The grp bodies of our vans are non-painted. Gel coat is not a paint. Comments please! Thanks, Roger smile!
Meguiars do several different ranges of products; for the cab area I use the normal vehicle range but for the hab area I only use appropriate products from their RV/Marine range designed for use with gel coat surfaces.

Their website has more information.

cheers
(the other) Roger  up!
rogerblack
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 62
Auto-Sleeper : Pollensa/Boxer2.8HDi
Vehicle Year : 2002

View user profile http://www.crailholiday.com

Back to top Go down

Post by groundhog on Fri Apr 14, 2017 2:54 pm

What I think you have is the 'cleaner wax' which comes in hard and liquid form, it is a slightly abrasive product that will restore the shine to your paint or GRP. it is extremely unlikely you could damage the grp with it unless you went completely mad with an electric polisher or similar. For avoiding non painted areas read avoid getting it on things like plastic door handles as they will discolour (it is curable if you do) also avoid the graphic decals if you can.

By its nature as a cleaner the 'wax' element is minimal and will not be durable, if you want to put something on that will last months rather than weeks then use a synthetic sealant or wax product on top. I currently use meguiars ultimate paste wax or premium marine wax which lasts several months, collinite 476s is another wax which has an excellent reputation and is alleged to last even longer.

Agree by the way with the microfibre towel use...!

Hope that helps
groundhog
Donator
Donator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Roger Pratt on Fri Apr 14, 2017 3:13 pm

Groundhog, yes, very helpful. Thanks again. Roger
Roger Pratt

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Clubman Anniversary
Vehicle Year : November

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by logburner on Fri Apr 14, 2017 8:46 pm

It's all halves at the moment.  snigger
I'm half way through polishing the van at the moment.
Bought myself a half decent dual action car polisher from Argos. (Challenge Xtreme, for those who may like to look. allthumbz)
This is half the price of other well known d.a. Polishers, and so far so good.   hugegrins.  Only got one foam pad with it, so, after studying numerous YouTube videos on polishing grp, I'm doing ok. (Just using the pad for putting on the polish, and taking it of with microfibre cloth by hand).  Phew !!
Run out of the Collinite 870, that I bought last year, so just bought another from Shiphape Norfolk Ltd...price has increased by a fiver, but nothing like the postage cost buying it direct from USA. 
The polisher has made a much better job of it than I did by hand only last year, but is still time consuming...shrugg
logburner
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper : Clubman
Vehicle Year : 1993

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by samleeds on Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:52 am

I spent 4 hrs the other day with fenwicks and even black streak remover spray but on the lighter paintwork I can still see streaks. Ive buffed and rubbed but its not shifting. Think its time to get tourshine in. Where are they these days.

Male

Member Age : 64
Auto-Sleeper : vw clubman

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Andy R on Tue Apr 18, 2017 6:36 pm

groundhog wrote:
PS: I have detailed loads of cars, yachts and even a 393 seat aeroplane  so afraid I am a bit of a sad anorak on this one. snigger

We LOVE sad anoraks on this site  hugegrins
Andy R
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 55
Auto-Sleeper : Medallion
Vehicle Year : 2000

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by logburner on Wed Apr 19, 2017 5:56 pm

Dear Groundhog,
I would be very much obliged if you could give me your opinion on Collinite 870 ?
Is it just a polish, or has it some abrasive properties ? scratch head scratch head
logburner
Donator
Donator

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by groundhog on Sat Apr 22, 2017 12:29 pm

Sorry for the tardy reply logburner.

870 is a cleaner wax so yes it does have some abrasive qualities, I have no experience of using it but I know it has a very good reputation like everything else from collinite and is probably ideal if you want to enhance the shine of the van and it will give a couple of months 'wax' protection. It all depends on how far you want to go, you could do the van with that and then if you stick with collinite put 476s over the top and you will get up to a year of wax protection.

There is so much written about the best polishes, cleaners, waxes etc but off course 99.9% of us are not going to be going out with a  meter and measure the depth of gloss, we just want our vans to look their best. In that respect I would say you are making a good choice. 

Once a van/boat is pristine I tend to keep it that way by waxing an area or as much as I feel like at a time, that way it is not a chore, overall the whole van is probably waxed twice a year or so. We just returned from a six hundred mile round trip nearly all motorway and the inevitable fly squash but it just washed straight off with hardly any rubbing at all.

Never wash the van in washing up liquid or any kind of grease remover or else all your hard work will be destroyed.

Regards
'Hog drinksallround
groundhog
Donator
Donator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by logburner on Sat Apr 22, 2017 8:19 pm

Thanks for that info hog..hugegrins  
So, the 476 is the cannula wax is it ?  If I rinse it down after a trip, with plain water, I can then apply the 476 as a top shine ?
Can this be put on, and polished up with a dual action polisher ?
Sorry to pick your brains on this, but everything l've read is a bit vague.
logburner
Donator
Donator

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by groundhog on Sat Apr 22, 2017 9:01 pm

Personally I would apply 476s or any other carnauba wax with a foam applicator or clean cloth, you only need a little, let it dry for a few minutes and then buff it off with a microfiber cloth by hand, the powdery residue should come off really easily so no need to use a polisher but no harm if you want do. If you want to use shampoo you need one that does not strip wax, my favourite is Meguiars gold class, it costs a bit but lasts ages as you only use a small amount. Check out [url=theultimatefinish.co.uk]theultimatefinish.co.uk[/url] for the dozens of products available. up!
groundhog
Donator
Donator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by logburner on Sat Apr 22, 2017 9:23 pm

Thanks very much for all that David, I can get my head sorted now, and exclude all the rubbish and myth that seems to have accumulated over the years.  allthumbz hugegrins
logburner
Donator
Donator

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by samleeds on Sun Apr 23, 2017 11:42 am

Sapper99 (raymondo to his friends) suggested wd40 for the streaks I couldnt remove. 30 mins and less than 1 can around the van with a rag and a gentle rub has got rid of the streaks, brightened up the black window frames and bumpers and she looks great. A bit on the greasy side, but never the less, she shines.

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by NORGIL on Sun Apr 23, 2017 2:01 pm

Was very sceptical about 'cleaning' the grp with WD40 but just tried a small patch and it certainly does shift all the stains and seems to leave a pretty good shine in seconds when buffed off, so much easier and quicker than all the other products BUT are there any log term effects ? If it really is this easy why isn't everyone giving their whole van a WD40 clean in about an hour !

NORGIL
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Clubman GL
Vehicle Year : 2001

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by samleeds on Sun Apr 23, 2017 2:50 pm

NORGIL wrote:Was very sceptical about 'cleaning' the grp with WD40 but just tried a small patch and it certainly does shift all the stains and seems to leave a pretty good shine in seconds when buffed off, so much easier and quicker than all the other products BUT are there any log term effects ? If it really is this easy why isn't everyone giving their whole van a WD40 clean in about an hour !
my point entirely. maybe one of the boffins will jump in now

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by meanchris on Sun Apr 23, 2017 4:07 pm

[boffin]Remember not to go dancing around on the roof after the WD40 application[/boffin]
hugegrins

meanchris

Male

Member Age : 63
Auto-Sleeper : None
Vehicle Year : N/A

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by NORGIL on Sun Apr 23, 2017 4:31 pm

I'm too much of a wimp to even stand on the roof ! I know the monocoques are tough but I have a psychological barrier about imposing my 15 stone footprints on it.

NORGIL
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Clubman GL
Vehicle Year : 2001

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by peugeotboxer on Sun Apr 23, 2017 6:16 pm

When the guys finished erecting my new pretend wood finish pvc conservatory they wiped down all the plastic with WD40.
I now do the same.

PB
peugeotboxer
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Harmony
Vehicle Year : 2000

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top