The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

STANTON PAYLOAD

+6
Anthony Salamone
Tazzy
Pete Taylor
Peter Brown
-mojo-
merv
10 posters

Go down

STANTON PAYLOAD Empty STANTON PAYLOAD

Post by merv Sat Apr 04, 2015 9:52 pm

Looking at the technical specs for the Stanton, the payload of 215kgs seems very tight, particularly if you have the auto transmission which, I understand,  adds to the vehicle weight. Add the premier pack as well and what might you be left with?
merv

Male

Member Age : 77
Auto-Sleeper : Symbol Plus
Vehicle Year : 2019

Back to top Go down

STANTON PAYLOAD Empty Re: STANTON PAYLOAD

Post by -mojo- Sat Apr 04, 2015 11:04 pm

I suspect most people will probably go for the 3500 kilo MTPLM chassis upgrade option, which would take the payload up to half a tonne, give or take.
-mojo-
-mojo-

Male

Member Age : 24
Auto-Sleeper : Trooper
Vehicle Year : 2006

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Brown Sun Apr 05, 2015 11:09 am

merv wrote: Add the premier pack as well and what might you be left with?
Possibly enough to take one passenger but no food or clothes.

Seriously though you need the 3500 option.

Peter
Peter Brown
Peter Brown
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 71
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EB
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by merv Sun Apr 05, 2015 1:46 pm

Thanks for that. I'd missed the upgrade in the specifications, coming last in the list and after 'removable cab carpet'!
merv

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete Taylor Sun Apr 05, 2015 9:36 pm

Merv,
Put Stanton into the search box, read everything. Lots of folks here have given opinions; a few correct, many wrong.

Send me a PM if you want to know facts from someone who has laid out £65k on a Stanton and got over the payload issues, finally.

No offense intended to profuse posters of opinions on the forum but, unless you have been there, you guys are just clouding the issue. Peter Brown's "Seriously though you need the 3500 option." sums it up perfectly as a starting point but, as you will see if you read all the stuff on payloads, it does not end there.

Pete.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Pete Taylor
Pete Taylor
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper : Stanton.
Vehicle Year : 2014

Back to top Go down

STANTON PAYLOAD Empty Stanton payload

Post by Tazzy Tue Oct 27, 2015 6:35 pm

Pete
I have just joined the forum and very interested in your experiences regarding payload. We bought a 3200Kg Stanton in June and have travelled 4000 miles since then. Longest trip 3.5 weeks. I am also considering fitting a cycle rack/storage box which AS have offered to advise me on. The vehicle drives well and seems stable. I am not sure what is involved in re-plating (nor potential cost). I am fully aware of the legal responsibilities but at no time does the vehicle look overloaded.
As a new forum member I am not yet allowed to pm you but would appreciate any further comments that you have.
Cheers
John
Tazzy
Tazzy

Male

Member Age : 74
Auto-Sleeper : Stanton
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

STANTON PAYLOAD Empty v b air susption

Post by Anthony Salamone Tue Oct 27, 2015 8:12 pm

I have a stanton did the plate upgrade not happy with the ride or the lights up in the air.Im thinking of loading up to tour, i did not like pitching up for long time..So I'm touring from now on I've had days out and always have to return to the site passing campsites.Its all about cost fuel time wasted getting back from days out..Most people caravan pitch up and drive the car for days out..I think owning a $ 65000 Mercedes load up, see the world.So I'm fitting V B Full air suspension cost $ 4000..Stanton the baby Auto Sleeper she's a beauty..
Anthony Salamone

Male

Auto-Sleeper : stanton
Vehicle Year : Vehicle

Back to top Go down

Post by ajrm Tue Nov 03, 2015 9:40 am

I don't see any reason to go for the 3200 kg model, the premium pack will take off about 40kg of your payload, 175kg will be taken up very easily with a few clothes and some food/ beer/ wine supplies.
Upgrading to 3500 will cost you about £330 via SVTech, as long as no mods are required, so best bet is to buy the 3500kg model from the outset.  Even then, half a tonne payload can disappear quite quickly!
Tazzy, I would suggest visiting a weighbridge, loaded as if you were just about to go away, before you consider fitting a bike rack, I would imagine you are very close to, or over your weight limit already.
ajrm
ajrm

Male

Member Age : 69
Auto-Sleeper : Ex 2013 Broadway FB
Vehicle Year : 2018

Back to top Go down

Post by bikeralw Tue Nov 03, 2015 8:04 pm

In the near to distant future I'm thinking of buying a newer Nuevo. can someone explain why the recent models have put on so much weight? My 2004 standard EK has a whopping 723kg of user payload. I don't think I could cope with a paltry 215kg. I'm surprised they are allowed out of the factory with that. Not fit for purpose I would say.
Al.
bikeralw
bikeralw
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo
Vehicle Year : 2004

Back to top Go down

Post by PLOUGHLIN Tue Nov 03, 2015 8:14 pm

2015 Spec Nuevos have 476kg (EK -3300kg) or 564kg (ES - 3500kg)?

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 54
Auto-Sleeper : MB Gloucester
Vehicle Year : 2011

Back to top Go down

Post by merv Tue Nov 03, 2015 8:40 pm

But as someone else has pointed out the payload is now calculated differently so that water and gas are no longer included in the calculation thus making the payload figures appear better!
However, I have a 2013 Nuevo EK with premium pack and I don't think the latest models will differ much from that with regard to payload. We find the payload to be about 360k and water and gas have been counted BEFORE that figure is arrived at. 
Al.. have a look at my weighbridge experience under 'Axle weights of the Nuevo'.  I think you may find that the payload is sufficient.
merv

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Tue Nov 03, 2015 9:04 pm

Hymer have just launched a 5.45mtr coachbuilt with a payload of 985kg. If they can do it why can't AS?

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete Taylor Sat Nov 07, 2015 7:21 pm

John (Tazzy) apologies for tardy response, I've been on the road!
The 3500kg "version" is simply a re-plated 3200kg vehicle... at least the Auto-Sleeper is! Mercedes do make a 3500kg UK-spec base unit but A-S bulk-buy the cheaper Euro-spec unit and save over £1000. All this has been discussed at length and should be easily found using the search function (or not!). I had no end of grief, having specified that I wanted a 3500kg unit and not a re-plate, guess what happened?! I particularly wanted to carry a spare tyre on a tow-bar plus two bike on the back. In short I got them to fit semi-air suspension and split the cost 3 ways- me, the dealer and A-S; not an ideal outcome but the best I could do. The air suspension has transformed the handling.

Info on spare wheel here: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] a lengthy thread full of opinions.

Anthony, thanks for your experience and contribution. Keep us up to speed with the full air suspension.

Here we are drifting off to discuss Nuevos or Hymers, why not start a separate thread?  confused3

Pete.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Pete Taylor
Pete Taylor
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Stanton.
Vehicle Year : 2014

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Sat Nov 07, 2015 7:31 pm

Pete Taylor wrote:

Here we are drifting off to discuss Nuevos or Hymers, why not start a separate thread?  confused3

Perhaps because we were sympathising with you over the poor payloads of AS's
Paulmold
Paulmold
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down