TD or not TD

View previous topic View next topic Go down

TD or not TD

Post by Lofty on Sun Mar 22, 2015 7:54 pm

Evening campers, as a prospective AS owner I have two questions ( for now! ).I would really prefer a VW.Medallions are v. thin on the ground but hey.Is the T4 best as turbo or non turbo.? I know it's a loaded question and rather subjective. Did anyone want a TDI and purchase a non turbo to find that it was perfectly satisfactory or visa versa? Next question for now is about Spinney Motorhomes in Cheshire. Any feedback gratefully received. Thank you. Lofty up! .
Lofty
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Gatcombe

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: TD or not TD

Post by daisy mae on Sun Mar 22, 2015 8:12 pm

Bought my Anniversary Clubman from Spinney in 2013, very good on issues that wanted sorting cannot fault them there, but if you see what you want go over it with a fine toothcomb, I thought I had, and a problem cropped up when I went to collect it, it was sorted  out under warranty later,  I had nearly a 400 mile round trip.

But I believe they are one of the better ones.

I have the VW 2.5TDI, and would recommend that engine, had the same in a Topaz. believe the non turbo is a bit sluggish although will go on all day. the 2.5tdi is the most economical of them all I believe.

Last edited by daisy mae on Sun Mar 22, 2015 8:16 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : VW 2.5tdi added)
daisy mae
Donator
Donator

Female

Auto-Sleeper : Anniversary Clubman

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Lofty on Sun Mar 22, 2015 10:19 pm

Thanx  daisy mae, Spinney have a Clubman/Gatcombe? advertised and they are quite near so thought it a good place to start. Reading conflicting views on non turbo re perfectly adequate/underpowered on hills, that sort of thing. Not too worried about a few mpg as my present Mercedes 709 averages 'bout 20 mpg so anything else is a bonus. More concerned re torque, hill climbing and reliability. For all it's 4 litres, my non turbo Merc can be embarrassing uphill, though it will climb anything eventually! confused3
Lofty
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Gatcombe

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by daisy mae on Mon Mar 23, 2015 9:04 am

The reliability  isn`t an issue, they are very good, as others have said, is it the 2.4 ? well worth having a look as not many of the later ones  around, had a job and months of searching to find mine, I was on dealers lists as they kept selling before I could view them, Spinney notified me before mine  was advertised .

Check windows near the caches for cracks, a common fault, also floor for delamination , take a damp meter with you is good advise, Spinney are good that the salesman doesn`t hover while you are looking over it, so you have a chance to check everything, note anything you are not happy with, and in my experience they will deal with it.

At least you get a 12 months warranty, which is more than most dealers.
daisy mae
Donator
Donator

Female

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymro on Mon Mar 23, 2015 9:35 am

If you look through this Forum, you'll find several threads on this subject. The consensus view is that the T4 2.5 tdi (5 cylinder) is excellent for the monocoque AutoSleepers. Reliable, ample power, economical, long-lasting.

I had that engine on a Clubman for 70,000 miles over 17 years: faultless and highly recommended.
Cymro
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo ES

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by repoort on Mon Mar 23, 2015 7:50 pm

..I've had plenty of T4 campervans with all three engines, 1.9TD, 2.4D, 2.5TDI (not all in the same van....). Best all-rounder was 1.9TD, enough performance for me, and good MPG. The 2.4D was disappointing, smooth but rather gutless, always seemed too low geared as well. All the ones I had suffered from engine problems in their earlier life, particularly cylinder head problems - one benefit of full service history. The 2.5TDI was fine, just a bit OTT in a small camper. It doesn't have a cambelt to worry about, either, it's gear driven.
These were small campervans though - for a larger coachbuilt the obvious choice is the 2.5TDI, I can't see any advantages at all in having the 2.4D.

For more information about engines and everything mechanical to do with T4's, a good source is the VWT4 Forum.
repoort
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : T5 Trooper

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by daisy mae on Mon Mar 23, 2015 8:07 pm

repoort wrote:..I've had plenty of T4 campervans with all three engines, 1.9TD, 2.4D, 2.5TDI (not all in the same van....). Best all-rounder was 1.9TD, enough performance for me, and good MPG. The 2.4D was disappointing, smooth but rather gutless, always seemed too low geared as well. All the ones I had suffered from engine problems in their earlier life, particularly cylinder head problems - one benefit of full service history. The 2.5TDI was fine, just a bit OTT in a small camper. It doesn't have a cambelt to worry about, either, it's gear driven.
These were small campervans though - for a larger coachbuilt the obvious choice is the 2.5TDI, I can't see any advantages at all in having the 2.4D.

For more information about engines and everything mechanical to do with T4's, a good source is the VWT4 Forum.
Not so, I have had the cam belt changed on mine when I first bought her,   the VW T4 forum mentions the cam belt, what year was yours, ? are you getting mixed up with the LTV ?  A very puzzled VW T4 owner 2003 model

Best regards,
Margaret
daisy mae
Donator
Donator

Female

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by repoort on Mon Mar 23, 2015 8:17 pm

...yes, you're right of course - it's the T5 2.5TDI engine that is gear driven, not the T4. My apologies for mixing the T's blushes
repoort
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : T5 Trooper

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymro on Mon Mar 23, 2015 8:59 pm

repoort wrote:...yes, you're right of course - it's the T5 2.5TDI engine that is gear driven, not the T4. My apologies for mixing the T's blushes
 My 2.5tdi had a cambelt. It was changed twice.
Cymro
Donator
Donator

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymro on Mon Mar 23, 2015 9:00 pm

Ooops - sorry - just re-read and saw that the reference to gear driven was for the T5, whereas my cambelted 2.5 was a T4.
Cymro
Donator
Donator

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Pamponi on Fri Mar 27, 2015 10:43 am

Don't get me started.....
Pamponi

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Clubman GL

View user profile

Back to top Go down

TD or not TD

Post by jimandcilla on Mon Mar 30, 2015 10:15 pm

We had a 2.4 normal aspirated 78 bhp T4 on a Calypso for 5 years and she took us round Britain 3 times and 35000 miles with no problems other than a broken rear spring.Fuel consumption averages 29 mpg.A most reliable wagon as you will notice by the number still on the road, the only problem is going up hills and motorways.Travelling the length of the M5 and M6 usually involves sitting in with the HGV's who have more power.Our new clubman with the 2.5 Tdi was fearsome the first few times out as the power difference was so noticeable ending up with wheel spin a couple of times. Strangely the fuel consumption is better, we get about 33 mpg.
jimandcilla

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Clubman Anniversary

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum