ignition system

View previous topic View next topic Go down

ignition system

Post by hugh1710 on Fri Mar 13, 2015 5:18 pm

hi all can anyone advise if this model has electronic ignition, or does it require points, also can anyone help with a copy of an owners manual   many thanks
hugh1710

Male

Member Age : 61
Auto-Sleeper : rapport
Vehicle Year : 1987

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: ignition system

Post by -mojo- on Fri Mar 13, 2015 5:45 pm

Before anyone asks - this is another thread that's a victim of the "field that nobody sees". The OP is asking about "renault trafic 1.7 petrol 1987" but that's invisible when you open the thread.

I owned a 1.7 petrol Rapport of around the same age and I confess I can't remember if it had electronic ignition, but I think it did, as I don't recall ever dealing with points.

One place where I'm sure you will get an answer is on the RTMR - several members here are also active there.
-mojo-

Male

Member Age : 18
Auto-Sleeper : Trooper
Vehicle Year : 2006

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by richardstubbs on Sat Mar 21, 2015 6:19 pm

Yes it is electronic, if it is a 1.7 (1721) not a 1.6 (1647). The ignition unit (commonly called a 'Renix' unit) is mounted on the bulkhead above the engine. There is a distributor on the rear of the camshaft (take off the cover in the van) which serves only to distribute the spark. The ignition pickup is on the flywheel below. There is a vacuum hose from the manifold to the ignition unit.

The ignition coil can be replaced and so can the pickup but the unit itself is sealed. And unavailable. Actually the pickup is also unavailable but a Renault 11/21 one works just fine. The timing can't be adjusted but you can check it with a strobe on the flywheel. It should be between 0 and 2 degrees BTDC at idle (750rpm) with the vacuum disconnected and plugged. If it's miles out it might have the wrong unit fitted. There is a sticker on it which should say 'RE235'. Anything else I think is wrong for '87, although a lot of others have similar advance curves so will work OK.

The only paper manual available is the Russek one but it's a bit rubbish. You can get it from Amazon easily enough so it's worth having. There are CD manuals on Ebay apparently (cover all Renaults) and, if you read French, I can send you a PDF of the Renault factory manual if you like - send me a PM. If you don't read French...

Hope this helps,
Richard.
richardstubbs

Male

Member Age : 53
Auto-Sleeper : Rapport
Vehicle Year : 1988

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by eddioke on Tue Apr 14, 2015 2:22 pm

richardstubbs wrote:Yes it is electronic, if it is a 1.7 (1721) not a 1.6 (1647). The ignition unit (commonly called a 'Renix' unit) is mounted on the bulkhead above the engine. There is a distributor on the rear of the camshaft (take off the cover in the van) which serves only to distribute the spark. The ignition pickup is on the flywheel below. There is a vacuum hose from the manifold to the ignition unit.

The ignition coil can be replaced and so can the pickup but the unit itself is sealed. And unavailable. Actually the pickup is also unavailable but a Renault 11/21 one works just fine. The timing can't be adjusted but you can check it with a strobe on the flywheel. It should be between 0 and 2 degrees BTDC at idle (750rpm) with the vacuum disconnected and plugged. If it's miles out it might have the wrong unit fitted. There is a sticker on it which should say 'RE235'. Anything else I think is wrong for '87, although a lot of others have similar advance curves so will work OK.

The only paper manual available is the Russek one but it's a bit rubbish. You can get it from Amazon easily enough so it's worth having. There are CD manuals on Ebay apparently (cover all Renaults) and, if you read French, I can send you a PDF of the Renault factory manual if you like - send me a PM. If you don't read French...

Hope this helps,
Richard.

Hi Richard, I hope you dont mind me butting in here but I too get a bit flustrated useing the Russek manual but its better then nothing and cheap enough to buy, I tried the Renault Dieopti or whatever it was covering all Renault off ebay (Then I read the feed back). I also bought an Haynes for the renault 21 as it has an F1n engin (well the 1 I bought was for the F2n engine) I`d love to be able to PM a request for a copy but dont know how?
eddioke

Male

Member Age : 64
Auto-Sleeper : Renault Trafic Rappo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by richardstubbs on Tue Apr 14, 2015 8:27 pm

eddioke wrote:
richardstubbs wrote:Yes it is electronic, if it is a 1.7 (1721) not a 1.6 (1647). The ignition unit (commonly called a 'Renix' unit) is mounted on the bulkhead above the engine. There is a distributor on the rear of the camshaft (take off the cover in the van) which serves only to distribute the spark. The ignition pickup is on the flywheel below. There is a vacuum hose from the manifold to the ignition unit.

Hope this helps,
Richard.

Hi Richard, I hope you dont mind me butting in here but I too get a bit flustrated useing the Russek manual but its better then nothing and cheap enough to buy, I tried the Renault Dieopti or whatever it was covering all Renault off ebay (Then I read the feed back). I also bought an Haynes for the renault 21 as it has an F1n engin (well the 1 I bought was for the F2n engine) I`d love to be able to PM a request for a copy but dont know how?

I've sent you a PM - it should notify you at the top of the window. If you reply with your email address I'll send you the manual. Hope your French is good! If not, I know that one of Boxerman's members was translating it into English. Might be worth sending him a message.

It doesn't really cover the engines, but is pretty good on all the ancillaries, transmission etc. The R21 manual should be OK for the engine though because the only real difference between the F1N and F2N is the carburettor. There is a Renault manual for the F-type petrol engine, but I'm yet to find a PDF copy.

Richard
richardstubbs

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by richardstubbs on Tue Apr 14, 2015 8:37 pm

Found it! The F-type manual that is. I'll send you that too. I've also got a Solex carb manual and Renix ignition one, not that that's much good because you can't do anything to it anyway... There is a list of all the different advance curves though, which is handy - I've put an R11 one on mine, which gives about an extra 3 degrees of advance, because I couldn't get the right one. Works fine though.
richardstubbs

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by eddioke on Wed Apr 15, 2015 1:31 pm

richardstubbs wrote:
eddioke wrote:

Hope this helps,
Richard.

I've sent you a PM - it should notify you at the top of the window. If you reply with your email address I'll send you the manual. Hope your French is good! If not, I know that one of Boxerman's members was translating it into English. Might be worth sending him a message.

It doesn't really cover the engines, but is pretty good on all the ancillaries, transmission etc. The R21 manual should be OK for the engine though because the only real difference between the F1N and F2N is the carburettor. There is a Renault manual for the F-type petrol engine, but I'm yet to find a PDF copy.

Richard

aucun problème, google translate. adresse e-mail envoyé Richard.

Merci beaucoup, Eddie
eddioke

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by richardstubbs on Wed Apr 15, 2015 8:14 pm

Pas de problème, tout est envoyée. J'éspere que c'est utile.

Richard.
richardstubbs

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by eddioke on Thu Apr 16, 2015 1:19 pm

richardstubbs wrote:Pas de problème, tout est envoyée. J'éspere que c'est utile.

Richard.

Je ne peux pas merci assez sa va être un été très productifs grâce à des manuels (or I just can't I thank you enough)

Eddie
eddioke

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by eddioke on Sat Sep 05, 2015 6:35 pm

richardstubbs wrote:
eddioke wrote:

Hope this helps,
Richard.

Richard

Up late one night this week and watched a "Wheeler dealers" on the discovery channel (I think but it was late) they were sprucing up a 1980's Jaguar 4.2 S. One thing they fitted was a new distributor which done away with the points condensor etc I think it was an all self contained unit too as there was no mention of a computer (or electronic unit like ours have)???
eddioke

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by redturner37 on Fri Sep 11, 2015 10:14 am

If you eventually have a problem with ignition parts simply convert it to a modern electronic system. The only mechanical bits are a trigger wheel which fits to the crank pulley and a bit of wiring. Throw the dizzy away. Mine cost a total of £120.....
redturner37

Male

Member Age : 80
Auto-Sleeper : Harmony
Vehicle Year : 1991

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by eddioke on Sat Sep 12, 2015 12:32 pm

redturner37 wrote:If you eventually have a problem with ignition parts simply convert it to a modern electronic system. The only mechanical bits are a trigger wheel which fits to the crank pulley and a bit of wiring. Throw the dizzy away. Mine cost a total of £120.....

What make / model / year vehicel did you fit it to?
eddioke

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by richardstubbs on Mon Sep 14, 2015 7:53 pm

redturner37 wrote:If you eventually have a problem with ignition parts simply convert it to a modern electronic system. The only mechanical bits are a trigger wheel which fits to the crank pulley and a bit of wiring. Throw the dizzy away. Mine cost a total of £120.....

Go on, give me a clue - what is it called and where did you buy it?

Cheers.
richardstubbs

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum