The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Satellite tv in Europe

+3
bandsinger
oldfred
hectormain
7 posters

Go down

Satellite tv in Europe Empty Satellite tv in Europe

Post by hectormain Thu Feb 26, 2015 2:14 pm

I have to admit I'm pretty confused by which dish would cover Europe (would need to cover Austria as we plan to stay there this Summer for a while) and which system to buy.

I don't have a great deal to spend, so any advice would be much appreciated.
hectormain
hectormain

Male

Member Age : 49
Auto-Sleeper : none

Back to top Go down

Satellite tv in Europe Empty Re: Satellite tv in Europe

Post by oldfred Thu Feb 26, 2015 6:34 pm

Probably not the advice you want but why not watch the sat tv for the country you are in?
Even without language skills you'll be able to see the weather forecast - Scorchio smile!
oldfred
oldfred

Male

Member Age : 76
Auto-Sleeper : nuevo
Vehicle Year : 2009

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Feb 26, 2015 7:21 pm

I use an 80cm portable dish on a tripod fed directly into my Avtex TV aimed at Astra 2 and get freesat at least to the Dordoyne but I have not tried it in Austria.  An 'Easifind' LNB makes it so easy to set up when needed.  The time it takes to set up makes purchasing a fixed system to my van not cost effective.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by bandsinger Tue Nov 03, 2015 3:34 pm

I also use an 80cm dish on a tripod with a £55 Satlink WS-6906 satellite finder. we have had good reception as far as beyond Barcelona. set up takes about 5 minutes, we have found it more difficult beyond this point to pick up BBC and ITV  channels but still find some english
all the way down to Murcia.
bandsinger
bandsinger

Male

Member Age : 79
Auto-Sleeper : Amethyst
Vehicle Year : Vehicle

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Brown Tue Nov 03, 2015 6:41 pm

hectormain wrote:I have to admit I'm pretty confused by which dish would cover Europe (would need to cover Austria as we plan to stay there this Summer for a while) and which system to buy.

I don't have a great deal to spend, so any advice would be much appreciated.

You don't mention what you want to watch. Give some detail and you will get appropriate advice.

Peter #1
Peter Brown
Peter Brown
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 71
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EB
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by parigby Wed Dec 09, 2015 2:29 pm

I too am in a similar position, being  at the very start of my search for a Dish, and have spent hours looking at the wealth of information available here and on other forums.

My perception ( and this could be way, way off ), is that unless l am prepared to stick Jodrell Bank on my roof l can more or less forget about getting a decent, regular signal for English speaking channels once l am South of Bordeaux. 

This leads me to the next bit - if the above is more or less accurate, is there really any point in say spending £1,300 - 1,400.00 on a dish when l can get the Snipe variety at a fair bit less. From what l can read, the Snipe is (signal wise ) very reliable down to Bordeaux, just like all the rest, and if reception thereafter is all a bit iffy on most other dishes, would l be wasting money on forking out an additional few hundred pounds.

I might add that my budget is at about the £1,300 to £1,400 mark and either a Dome or collapsable = no real preference.

Considered and experienced views would be most welcome.
parigby
parigby

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Berkshire
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Brown Wed Dec 09, 2015 4:17 pm

What do you want to watch? If its the Astra 2 channels targeted at the UK then you won't get robust coverage in the south or far east of France (or outside those boundaries) whatever you have.

I moved from a tripod mounted dish to a roof mounted Camos Crankup Plus three years ago and am extremely satisfied (the aerial uses the same technology as the Snipe).

I regularly watch German RTL on Astra 1 even at home for F1, a lot of films and programmes shown on continental TV are of UK or US origin and I can live without an English sound track. Astra 1 has BBC and Sky English news channels.

Terrestrial digital TV in France and Italy is very good and a lot of stuff is transmitted with dual sound tracks, if you have an Avtex TV you can switch between sound tracks and often find English

Peter #1
Peter Brown
Peter Brown
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Liam Wed Dec 09, 2015 4:42 pm

parigby wrote:
My perception ( and this could be way, way off ), is that unless l am prepared to stick Jodrell Bank on my roof l can more or less forget about getting a decent, regular signal for English speaking channels once l am South of Bordeaux. 

In which case you might like to look at the latest flat array from Oyster - Cytrac DX with a 56X56 special array (honeycomb structure - ex military technology!)  and which they claim provides unrivaled reception in all weathers (unlike current dishes which can be affected by rain etc.) and covers almost all of Europe! It appears better that the current 85cm dish.
Prices appear to be about £1500.
Liam
Liam
Liam
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 80
Auto-Sleeper : Warwick XL
Vehicle Year : 2021

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Brown Wed Dec 09, 2015 4:53 pm

Liam, its the same technology as Camos and Snipe and Vanbitz only claims English coverage 3/4 of the way into France which is the same as the aforementioned.

Peter #1
Peter Brown
Peter Brown
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Liam Wed Dec 09, 2015 5:07 pm

I know  - but that's not what Oyster show on their web site! 
http://ten-haaft.com/rmc-en/product/premium-series-reception-range-oyster-65/
They show all of France and beyond and indeed the Oyster rep confirmed this when speaking to him at the October NEC show - he stated that it was superior and would outperform all current dishes!! I am referring to reception range 2 from France.

I got the price wrong - it is £1800!!

Liam

Last edited by Liam on Wed Dec 09, 2015 5:12 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Clarification)
Liam
Liam
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 80
Auto-Sleeper : Warwick XL
Vehicle Year : 2021

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Brown Wed Dec 09, 2015 5:17 pm

That yellow line is only for Sky. The red line for other UK channels just touches France.

Peter #1
Peter Brown
Peter Brown
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by parigby Wed Dec 09, 2015 6:08 pm

Peter and Liam   -   thanks for your input. l am starting to come round to the idea that at my budget, l've kind of got to forget getting further much south than Bordeaux :  if however l am prepared to increase it by approx 50%, then l could achieve my ultimate goal.  

As always with a question of this nature, the answers invariably throw up many more questions for the OP to personally answer.
parigby
parigby

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Berkshire
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Post by biffobear Tue Feb 02, 2016 7:43 am

I know this is an old post but really useful. My 85cm Autosat system dumped all it's information and now cannot find any sats. I was thinking of getting a new control unit but won't bother now. I fitted a terrestrial Teleco Tele x2 unit which works fine in Spain and has picked up over 60 channels at any one time ( most are not that good like ours) but some are broadcast with dual language.
biffobear
biffobear

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper : Montana
Vehicle Year : 1998

Back to top Go down