Rubber seals around windows

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Rubber seals around windows

Post by Biglol on Thu 19 Feb 2015 - 9:54

We have a small leak on the kitchen window, the rubber seal has perished and I am waiting to hear from A/S but they are having problems with their suppliers. We have been waiting about three months now.  Don't suppose anyone has some they want to sell ?winks

Biglol

Male

Member Age : 70
Auto-Sleeper : Executive GLS
Vehicle Year : 2003

View user profile http://www.ljbarber.uk

Back to top Go down

Re: Rubber seals around windows

Post by Paulmold on Thu 19 Feb 2015 - 10:12

Look at this photo showing the new profile seal that you need and then try these people to see if they have it..

http://www.sealsdirect.co.uk/

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 66
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo ES
Vehicle Year : 2006

View user profile

Back to top Go down

ribber seals now available from Autosleepers

Post by Allan on Sun 22 Feb 2015 - 11:07

Autosleepers have now taken delivery of a new-profile rubber seal for windows. Not sure whether they've got as much as they wanted/need. I got mine a week ago (Early Feb) > ordered 10 metres to replace seals around both side windows on my Talisman ....so far so good...but expensive at £15 per metre! Easy job to do.
Allan
Allan

Male

Member Age : 71
Auto-Sleeper : Talisman

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Biglol on Sun 22 Feb 2015 - 12:04

Spoke to them a couple of days ago about my rubber seals and they are still out of stock, showed them the picture above and they didn't think either were what I needed, so I will just have to wait.

Biglol

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by daisy mae on Sun 22 Feb 2015 - 23:33

Mine new seals had the extra bit on from AS
daisy mae
Donator
Donator

Female

Auto-Sleeper : Anniversary Clubman
Vehicle Year : Oct. 2003 VW 2.5 TDI

View user profile

Back to top Go down

sadly.....New window seals not done the trick

Post by Allan on Thu 26 Feb 2015 - 14:49

After a day of rain, I have now discovered that the fitting of new rubber seals (see entry above) has not cured the problem of water ingress to the side window(s) of my Talisman. The problem seems to be that rainwater gathering on the roof, trickles down from the high part of the roof to the 2 indented drain channels. This allows the water to run off (on both sides) andf drip right down the side windows. The water then gathers in the base of little channel on the exterior of the window frame. Somehow this collection of water seems to be able to go over the rubber lip of the seal and gather inside the window frame in little pools inside the van. I had thought that fitting new seals with the new lip would prevent this - but, no ...it's still doing it! (£150 later!)
I now have 2 thoughts on this:

1) Is the problem made worse by my home-parking position, where the van seems to be sitting slightly (only slightly) nose down and therefore not perfectly horizontal? I.E. would a perfectly horizontal parking position allow water to run off the roof down the channel to the back of the van and thereby prevent water running down the windows? (this is not really practical as my home parking spot is paved and I don't really want to park the van up on front wheel ramps all the time!)

2) Would a kind of retrofit rain canopy fitted along the top length of the windows deflect the rain to the sides? As long as this doesn't interfere with the full opening of the windows (how often do I open fully the windows at right angles anyway?) - it might do the trick?

3) Would a repostioning of the 5 inside window latches, so that they create a tighter seal against the rubber strip, be a way forward?

Any thoughts anyone? 

Cheers
Allan
Allan

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by PLOUGHLIN on Thu 26 Feb 2015 - 16:13

Does the lower channel have drain holes? If so are they blocked.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 47
Auto-Sleeper : MB Gloucester
Vehicle Year : 2011

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Biglol on Thu 26 Feb 2015 - 16:20

Short term fix would be a smear of vaseline on the other side of the window to where in is coming in. Make sure its dry first

Biglol

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by daisy mae on Thu 26 Feb 2015 - 18:11

If go in forward on my drive my van is nose down as it slopes alsodrive  slopes sidewards.

if I reverse in the water runs along the channels to the back, since I have had new windows and seals , touch wood, no leaks whatsoever, no matter which way I park.as it is used every day not bothering with ramps. 

Hope you get it sorted, water leaks are not much fun especially after forking out money that you think will cure the problem.

Have you contacted Alan at AS for his advice,?he is very helpful and knowledgable.

Regards,
Margaret
daisy mae
Donator
Donator

Female

Auto-Sleeper : Anniversary Clubman
Vehicle Year : Oct. 2003 VW 2.5 TDI

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Stewart John on Thu 26 Feb 2015 - 21:06

Hi

On a outside storage door on a caravan I passed a 1/4 inch plastic aquarium aeration tube through the rubber seal centre hole. That stoppped the water getting in.  allthumbz

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Topaz 2.0 2014

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Allan on Fri 27 Feb 2015 - 16:50

Thanks for all your suggestions - Margaret, Stewart Biglol, and Peter (isn't this forum useful?)
1. There are no drain holes - pity... as this would have solved problem I'm sure !
2. Must try vaseline - great idea
3. Will think further re: the tube drain idea - many thanks
4. Yes - I agree Allan at AS (01386 842630) is very helpful - he's already on my Xmas card list!
Since appealing for help, (and appreciating repsonses - thank you) - I have thought further myself on the topic.
Looking at the roof of the van, I can see the where the accumulated rainwater has overflowed the roof drainage channels and run off, right above the window. I wonder whether fitting some sort of self-adhesive lip to the length of the outside edge of both roof drainage channels, would prevent so much water channelling down over the windows. Obviously I don't want to start drilling holes in the fabric of my monocoque roof, but with the application of some self adhesive UPVC window draught excluder tape, it might just create enough height to allow the channel edges to drain (or ar least contain) the roof puddles. Obviously, my problem is only apparent when I park at home (I think!)

Anyway, thanks to all  for taking the trouble to offer advice. Any thoughts on the above?  
Allan
Allan

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

window seal

Post by firsttimer on Mon 2 Mar 2015 - 20:39

hi ,I have gone down exactly the same path ,buying seal and all !!,just to get me over the bad weather I to have parked nose end high,the rain channel addition seems the way to go ,I am still searching for the right part that looks right ,if /when I find it i'll try and post a picture ,

firsttimer

Male

Member Age : 56
Auto-Sleeper : executive

View user profile

Back to top Go down

rubber seals

Post by firsttimer on Sun 10 May 2015 - 12:17

Hi ,sorry this reply comes a little late in the ,but may be of help in the future, I propped up the window with a cleaning broom , removed the old seal and firstly noticed a lot of lime scale residue build up around where the seal had been, i removed this and cleaned out the channel where the seal fits  , then I smeared the part of the seal that fits the channel with a small amount of liquid soap ,then pushed the seal carefully in trying not to stretch or compress the seal ,,before  trimming to length ,I had a look along the new seals to check it is free from kinks or any areas that are not fully home ,when happy I trimmed to length ,put the stays and catches back on ,and closed the window,i noticed a nice squeak as the window pulled against new seal .Finally during last weeks wet weekend in Coniston all was put to the test ,dry as a bone THANK GOD ! ,now,   where's that bottle of red .  up!

firsttimer

Male

Member Age : 56
Auto-Sleeper : executive

View user profile

Back to top Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

Post by robbins on Sat 30 Jul 2016 - 7:49

you can all ways open the windows ,and put them on the half open latch ,this will stop the water getting in .sorry not a permanent fix
robbins

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by -mojo- on Sat 30 Jul 2016 - 13:46

frerickhu is just a forum spammer who wants to post a website URL, but he's done it by putting it in his forum profile. These days it's a well known spammer's trick.
-mojo-

Male

Member Age : 18
Auto-Sleeper : Trooper
Vehicle Year : 2006

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Brown on Sat 30 Jul 2016 - 16:13

He's gone - thanks for the report Mojo

Peter #1
Peter Brown