Cheaper than an hotel?

Go down

Cheaper than an hotel?

Post by Cymro on Sat Feb 14, 2015 8:32 pm

Over a Valentine's supper of F&C and champagne (living it up here!) we got to taking about the AutoSleeper, which we've had and hugely enjoyed for sixteen and a half years and which we are about to trade-in for another AutoSleeper. My wife said “Cheaper than an hotel.”

That set me wondering. So I did some back-of-envelope sums.

Now read this sentence twice: the following figures are crude; they assume median figures (e.g. assume car tax was, say, £150pa when first bought, and £250pa now, so I've used £200pa as a representative figure). I have not included any opportunity cost (interest or profit which we could have received if we had not spent the money on the motorhome).

So let's start:

(a) difference between original outlay and trade-in : £20,000

(b)  cost of vehicle servicing and repairs and replacements (includes tyres, cam belts, batteries): say £400pa x 16 years = £6,400.  That figure may be an underestimate but I can't be bothered to add up every receipt!

(c) cost of habitation servicing, repairs and replacements, and gas: say £200 pa x 16 =£3,200 (again, an underestimate, I think)

(d) cost of road tax (say £200 pa) and insurance (say £200pa) x 16 = £6,400

(e) cost of campsites (say £20 per night) x 460 nights (we have a log!) = £9,200

Now of course there are many assumptions in there, with which it's easy to quarrel. And there are other costs such as fuel, ferries and food which should be excluded. But at least they are more accurate than mere guesstimates.

That adds up to some £45,200.

Divide £45,200 by the 460 nights we stayed in it, which gives a cost per night of £98 (£40 per person).  So roughly £100 per night for the two of us.

Factor in the fuel to take us to those wonderful places, and it isn't cheap. But is it worth it? You bet!
avatar
Cymro
Donator
Donator

Male

Posts : 1724
Joined : 2011-06-05
Location : Caerdydd - Cardiff
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo ES
Vehicle Year : 2015

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Cheaper than an hotel?

Post by Sue68 on Sun Feb 15, 2015 6:59 pm

Some of those costs you would have had if you had stayed in a hotel. You would have driven to the hotel so you can remove those figures.
Sue

Sue68
Member
Member

Female

Posts : 266
Joined : 2012-04-16
Member Age : 95
Location : Travelling
Auto-Sleeper : Duetto
Vehicle Year : 1996

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Cheaper than an hotel?

Post by redturner37 on Sun Feb 15, 2015 7:41 pm

I have to totally forget what it would cost me to run our motorhome. To me it the convenience of having a roof over our heads wherever we are and what time we get there. Our vehicle is used almost entirely as transport for our little race team and spending several weeks at a time in, mainly France we dont have to search for/pre book accomodation, just roll into a paddock and set up and in between events enjoy the countryside where ever we are.....
avatar
redturner37
Member
Member

Male

Posts : 296
Joined : 2014-06-08
Member Age : 80
Location : Nottingham
Auto-Sleeper : Harmony
Vehicle Year : 1991

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Cheaper than an hotel?

Post by jollywalker on Sun Feb 15, 2015 7:45 pm

For me too the advantages outweigh any excess costs.

Used to book holiday cottages, only to find at time of travel the part of the country was rubbish weather, but had to go anyway as cottage paid for. Now I look at the weather forecast and head for wherever's best  up!
avatar
jollywalker
Member
Member

Male

Posts : 341
Joined : 2014-12-30
Member Age : 58
Location : Dorset
Auto-Sleeper : Duetto
Vehicle Year : 1999

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Cheaper than an hotel?

Post by repoort on Sun Feb 15, 2015 7:53 pm

..yes, that's it - not pre-booking anywhere in advance, having the flexibility all the time (unless you are trying to get in a popular CC site !)
avatar
repoort
Donator
Donator

Male

Posts : 373
Joined : 2014-10-22
Member Age : 68
Location : Kendal, Cumbria
Auto-Sleeper : T5 Trooper
Vehicle Year : 2007

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Cheaper than an hotel?

Post by Brian_K on Sun Feb 15, 2015 8:03 pm

I think motorhomes are a hobby to many, as well as offering the freedom of choice they give. Unfortunately this comes at a price.
 
Some years ago, while pondering the ins and outs of getting a boat, a guy said to me, be careful, they are a hole in the water waiting for you to throw money in – I would say motorhomes are little different.
 
   
Brian
avatar
Brian_K
Member
Member

Male

Posts : 57
Joined : 2015-01-14
Member Age : 66
Location : Durham
Auto-Sleeper : Symbol
Vehicle Year : 2004

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Cheaper than an hotel?

Post by Cymro on Sun Feb 15, 2015 8:38 pm

Sue68 wrote:Some of those costs you would have had if you had stayed in a hotel. You would have driven to the hotel so you can remove those figures.
Sue

Whilst those figures of mine came with a serious caveat, I did, in fact, expressly exclude the fuel costs.
C
avatar
Cymro
Donator
Donator

Male

Posts : 1724
Joined : 2011-06-05
Location : Caerdydd - Cardiff
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo ES
Vehicle Year : 2015

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Cheaper than an hotel?

Post by daisy mae on Sun Feb 15, 2015 9:34 pm

On mine, comparing to my Volvo, my MH is my everyday vehicle, it is cheaper on vehicle tax, Insurance and I get 50% more miles to the gallon, so that is a bonus to me, also convenience  on trips out, Loo a big plus, not having to find a public one,  nine times out of ten have to pay parking to use , can  make a cuppa etc, whenever,  self contained ,holidays where ever the wheels take me, more comfortable than a car, and warmer , better driving position for me, higher up,
It enables me to take my dog wherever I go and she is more comfortable than travelling in a tin box.
Would never take her into a hotel.

To me it is not just a MH it is my hobby, travelling comfort , my home when away, anywhere I want to go in luxury, to me that is priceless. Anything that gives pleasure,  comfort and freedom cannot be thought of in monetary terms. I have spent thousands in crafting materials and tools in the last 14 years, to look at it you wouldn`t think so.

After all my Daughter said spend it on yourself mum, you went without when we were children,  so enjoy it, enables me to see her and the family, with my own accommodation, she hasn`t the room to put me up anyway. So benefits all round.



I would have more expensive fuel costs etc with my previous car, so I am better off.
avatar
daisy mae
Donator
Donator

Female

Posts : 5261
Joined : 2013-02-03
Location : Leicestershire
Auto-Sleeper : Amethyst and Topaz
Vehicle Year : 2003.98

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Cheaper than an hotel?

Post by Shuggiegreen on Mon Feb 16, 2015 9:14 am

I think of my van as a hobby so I get pleasure out of useing her and looking after her and like most hobbys you dont make or save money it is just pure enjoyment of your hobby.
avatar
Shuggiegreen
Member
Member

Male

Posts : 689
Joined : 2013-09-19
Member Age : 68
Location : Scotland
Auto-Sleeper : Clubman GL
Vehicle Year : 1997

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Cheaper than an hotel?

Post by Jaytee on Mon Feb 16, 2015 10:36 am

Fascinating thread up! yes agree the cost V's hotels is greater but as everyone has said the convenience, the comfort, the friendships, this forum, etc etc etc far outweigh the frightening cost. allthumbz

_________________
We are not here long so do it while you can [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
avatar
Jaytee
Donator
Donator

Male

Posts : 3035
Joined : 2013-11-08
Member Age : 70
Location : Nr Filey North Yorkshire
Auto-Sleeper : Winchcombe
Vehicle Year : 2013

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Cheaper than an hotel?

Post by mikethebike on Mon Feb 16, 2015 12:24 pm

Hi Cymro, i did the same exercise over the 3 years i had my first Coachbuilt.
My figures worked out at 64.87 per night. This was 1999 to 2002.
Depreciation was the killer.
However 10 years of river cruiser ownership before that ended in a small profit.
I did not regard boat ownership as a money pit.
Same good value for the points mentioned by others.

Regards

Micky
avatar
mikethebike
Member
Member

Male

Posts : 2787
Joined : 2012-03-01
Location : peterborough
Auto-Sleeper : none

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Cheaper than an hotel?

Post by Cymro on Mon Feb 16, 2015 6:00 pm

Jaytee wrote:Fascinating thread up! yes agree the cost V's hotels is greater but as everyone has said the convenience, the comfort, the friendships, this forum, etc etc etc far outweigh the frightening cost. allthumbz

Absolutely! My purpose in starting this thread was merely to report that, in an idle moment, I'd worked out some figures.

Whilst it seems that it's cost us very roughly £100 per night, as others have said that doesn't reflect all the non-overnight day-trips we've used the motorhome for. On those occasions, the motorhome comes into its own: high vantage point; snug when you stop; kitchen; WC; bike-carrier; load lugger; etc etc. Wouldn't be without it. Plus entry to this great community.
avatar
Cymro
Donator
Donator

Male

Posts : 1724
Joined : 2011-06-05
Location : Caerdydd - Cardiff
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo ES
Vehicle Year : 2015

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Cheaper than an hotel?

Post by repoort on Mon Feb 16, 2015 7:57 pm

daisy mae wrote:On mine, comparing to my Volvo, my MH is my everyday vehicle, it is cheaper on vehicle tax, Insurance and I get 50% more miles to the gallon, so that is a bonus to me, also convenience  on trips out, Loo a big plus, not having to find a public one,  nine times out of ten have to pay parking to use , can  make a cuppa etc, whenever,  self contained ,holidays where ever the wheels take me, more comfortable than a car, and warmer , better driving position for me, higher up,
It enables me to take my dog wherever I go and she is more comfortable than travelling in a tin box.
Would never take her into a hotel.

To me it is not just a MH it is my hobby, travelling comfort , my home when away, anywhere I want to go in luxury, to me that is priceless. Anything that gives pleasure,  comfort and freedom cannot be thought of in monetary terms. I have spent thousands in crafting materials and tools in the last 14 years, to look at it you wouldn`t think so.

After all my Daughter said spend it on yourself mum, you went without when we were children,  so enjoy it, enables me to see her and the family, with my own accommodation, she hasn`t the room to put me up anyway. So benefits all round.



I would have more expensive fuel costs etc with my previous car, so I am better off.


That says it all....an excellent summary ! allthumbz
avatar
repoort
Donator
Donator

Male

Posts : 373
Joined : 2014-10-22
Member Age : 68
Location : Kendal, Cumbria
Auto-Sleeper : T5 Trooper
Vehicle Year : 2007

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Cheaper than an hotel?

Post by Brian_K on Mon Feb 16, 2015 8:15 pm

Cymro wrote:
Jaytee wrote:Fascinating thread up! yes agree the cost V's hotels is greater but as everyone has said the convenience, the comfort, the friendships, this forum, etc etc etc far outweigh the frightening cost. allthumbz

Absolutely!  My purpose in starting this thread was merely to report that, in an idle moment, I'd worked out some figures.

Whilst it seems that it's cost us very roughly £100 per night, as others have said that doesn't reflect all the non-overnight day-trips we've used the motorhome for. On those occasions, the motorhome comes into its own: high vantage point; snug when you stop; kitchen; WC; bike-carrier; load lugger; etc etc.  Wouldn't be without it. Plus entry to this great community.

   
As has been said, an interesting thread. The main factor in your figures is depreciation of the MH (44%), but lets assume you had done the same (over the same period of time - hypothetically) in a 4x4 (insurance, fuel, tax etc + hotels at £20 per night???) I doubt it would differ much and you would have lost the convenience (and pleasure) of the “go now” / hobby factor. I have run 4x4's for many years and I can tell you (as I’m sure many others will attest to) the depreciation/service/running equation is horrendous.
 
That is of course, unless, like some, you are able to sell your mode of transport at a profit once you are finished with it.
 
Brian
avatar
Brian_K
Member
Member

Male

Posts : 57
Joined : 2015-01-14
Member Age : 66
Location : Durham
Auto-Sleeper : Symbol
Vehicle Year : 2004

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Cheaper than an hotel?

Post by daisy mae on Mon Feb 16, 2015 9:11 pm

I sold my Topaz having had it for 14 months, I got £1,250 more for it than I paid for it, so well happy, wouldn`t have got that on a car.

_________________
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those that mind don`t matter, and those who matter don`t mind.
                                                            
                                                                Dr. Seuss
avatar
daisy mae
Donator
Donator

Female

Posts : 5261
Joined : 2013-02-03
Location : Leicestershire
Auto-Sleeper : Amethyst and Topaz
Vehicle Year : 2003.98

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Cheaper than an hotel?

Post by bikeralw on Wed Feb 18, 2015 8:20 am

Unlike most here, I've only been motorhoming for the last 8 years, the previous 15 years to that was spent touring the continent by motorbike.
I can say that although biking is a way more exciting form of travel, especially in the Alps, it is also far more expensive than motorhoming.
Ok, my BMW's would return over 50mpg and were cheaper on the ferry etc, but when you add up the cost of paying for every single coffee and meal stop, plus hotel at the end of a days ride etc, it really mounts up.
I rarely pay more than 10 euros a night when touring in the van, staying mainly on aires abroad or CL's in the UK, and I estimate holidays in the motorhome cost half that of using the bike.
avatar
bikeralw
Donator
Donator

Male

Posts : 1593
Joined : 2013-04-22
Member Age : 67
Location : High Peak & New Zealand.
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo
Vehicle Year : 2004

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Cheaper than an hotel?

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum