The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Twin Reversing Camera

4 posters

Go down

Twin Reversing Camera Empty Twin Reversing Camera

Post by CC Sun Feb 08, 2015 10:38 am

I'd like to replace the reversing camera fitted on the Broadway and wondered if its possible to just replace the standard single lens cam with a twin lens cam like this?
(Current cam setup works fine) As the cam has two cable feeds I'm wondering if this is even possible or not worth the bother?

Twin Reversing Camera 21c5t09

The monitor is the over mirror type like below as fitted to Auto-Sleepers but will these show a twin camera view or would that need changing too?
Also, without removing the current camera I'm not sure what type of connections it has so I'm reluctant to pull it about to check with the current weather.

Twin Reversing Camera 20jrc46

Also does anyone know where its possible to get a remote control to operate the monitor? or the part number?

Male

Member Age : 59
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EL Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Twin Reversing Camera Empty Re: Twin Reversing Camera

Post by jennyandpeter Sun Feb 08, 2015 2:27 pm

we have the same setup on our duetto replaced the rear view mirror with the same screen. no need for the remote as you can just cycle through the views with the button on the monitor.I use one view as the rear view mirror and the other pointing down for reversing. the cable I used had feeds for both cameras and was simple to install.

Twin Reversing Camera 20150208_110017_zpsmgmnta4q
jennyandpeter
jennyandpeter

Male

Member Age : 63
Auto-Sleeper : Warwick duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Brown Sun Feb 08, 2015 3:30 pm

Just inside the rear wall, probably behind the rear wall of a locker will be a phono connector. The lead to the monitor might have enough slack for you to pull the connector through when you remove the camera but if not you will have to cut an access hatch in the back of the locker - exactly where??

The cable to the monitor will have been installed before the roof was fitted so following the same route with an extra cable is not possible. The easiest way at the back is to drop the new cable down through the floor and run under the floor to the front but then you have to find a route through the dash and the front screen pillars to the monitor.

Personally I don't think its worth the bother.

Peter

Peter #1
Peter Brown
Peter Brown
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 71
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EB
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by inspiredron Sun Feb 08, 2015 11:40 pm

Peter Brown wrote:Just inside the rear wall, probably behind the rear wall of a locker will be a phono connector.  The lead to the monitor might have enough slack for you to pull the connector through when you remove the camera but if not you will have to cut an access hatch in the back of the locker - exactly where??

The cable to the monitor will have been installed before the roof was fitted so following the same route with an extra cable is not possible.  The easiest way at the back is to drop the new cable down through the floor and run under the floor to the front but then you have to find a route through the dash and the front screen pillars to the monitor.

Personally I don't think its worth the bother.

Peter
Actually, getting the feed from behind the passenger door up to the mirror is not difficult. There are ways through that A/S are probably already using. The challenge is the extra video feed from the camefa to below the floor at the back. Another possible solution is to use a camera fitted at low level.  That will give a restricted (by the next vehicle) view behind but it is what I did as a DIY job on my Hymer. There I mounted the camera behind and below the rear skirt. The main problem was with following headlights. However,  the main use for the camera was for reversing and it was deficient in that respect as it was difficult to judge distance.
An alternative to a straight back camera is a fresnel lens on the back window. They cost less than £10 on eBay and mounted at the top of the bsck window (if you have one) give a wide and long view behind while the view below the frenel lens gives a realistic perspective In parallel.

Last edited by inspiredron on Sun Feb 08, 2015 11:41 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : typos)

Male

Member Age : 82
Auto-Sleeper : Lancashire
Vehicle Year : 2012

Back to top Go down