The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Autosleeper Sherbourne - Towing possibility

+2
Nuevo
melcragg
6 posters

Go down

Autosleeper Sherbourne - Towing possibility Empty Autosleeper Sherbourne - Towing possibility

Post by melcragg Tue Feb 03, 2015 5:10 pm

I'm thinking of towing a Smart car behind my Sherbourne. Is this possible and recommended?
melcragg

Male

Member Age : 57
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo EK
Vehicle Year : 2012

Back to top Go down

Autosleeper Sherbourne - Towing possibility Empty Re: Autosleeper Sherbourne - Towing possibility

Post by Nuevo Tue Feb 03, 2015 5:16 pm

the sherbourne from memory has a pretty long overhang so not sure but someone here should know

Dave drinksallround

Male

Member Age : 65
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo

Back to top Go down

Autosleeper Sherbourne - Towing possibility Empty Re: Autosleeper Sherbourne - Towing possibility

Post by PLOUGHLIN Tue Feb 03, 2015 5:50 pm

Your vehicle and AS manuals should give the maximum braked trailer mass for the base vehicle. The Smart will be about 850 kg on A frame or 1200 kg on a trailer.

I tow a Smart on a trailer with my Gloucester (163 bhp Merc). Tows very well, hardly notice it is there, about 4% increase in mpg.

I went for a trailer because the Smart is nearly new and an A frame fitted would have voided the warrantee on brakes, wiring loom and front body. There are reported problems with A frame legality in Spain and France?

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 54
Auto-Sleeper : MB Gloucester
Vehicle Year : 2011

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Brown Tue Feb 03, 2015 6:03 pm

There are not many Sherbourne's about so you may not get a response based on experience.

Peter

Peter #1
Peter Brown
Peter Brown
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 71
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EB
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete Taylor Tue Feb 03, 2015 9:10 pm

PLOUGHLIN wrote:Your vehicle and AS manuals should give the maximum braked trailer mass for the base vehicle. The Smart will be about 850 kg on A frame or 1200 kg on a trailer.

I tow a Smart on a trailer with my Gloucester (163 bhp Merc). Tows very well, hardly notice it is there, about 4% increase in mpg.

I went for a trailer because the Smart is nearly new and an A frame fitted would have voided the warrantee on brakes, wiring loom and front body. There are reported problems with A frame legality in Spain and France?
...and problems in other Euro countries now too, following very recent (end of 2014) legislation.

Pete.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Pete Taylor
Pete Taylor
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper : Stanton.
Vehicle Year : 2014

Back to top Go down

Post by WEXFORDBELLE Thu Feb 05, 2015 12:28 pm

At last another Sherbourne  allthumbz owner that makes three on the forum to my knowledge, I was also thinking of towing our Smart

but am now looking into possibly towing it on a trailer I have a tow bar which was already fitted so when I next go down to the van

I will check it out underneath to see how the land lies.

I also chipped the VW a few months ago which gave me a good increase in power which would help if you find out anymore info

regarding the towing please PM me and I will do the same.

Pat agree3
WEXFORDBELLE

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Symphony

Back to top Go down

Post by melcragg Fri Feb 06, 2015 3:05 pm

I love my Sherbourne. I waited 3 years for a non-dealer one - Meaning a sensible price. Mine is 4 berth, 26k miles 'Y' reg. I would love to hear about the Towbar on yours and possibly see some photos? I was actually thinking of towing a Twizy. I do lots of running and the bathroom in the Sherbourne is perfect. Oh the chipping is interesting - does it help the pulling power? [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
melcragg

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by WEXFORDBELLE Fri Feb 06, 2015 3:55 pm

Ditto allthumbz at the risk of going off topic the power difference was very noticeable and I am glad I did it very simple to do if you want

the details I can e mail you including how to do it and the original emails and pictures from this well known company, however I brought through there auction site rather than there web site and saved about £40. up!  

With regards the tow bar I will pick up the van next weekend from the farm and check it out and take some pictures.

Pat
WEXFORDBELLE

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by melcragg Sun Mar 08, 2015 2:30 pm

Hi Pat. will you be able to take some photos of the Tow bar? Many Thanks
melcragg

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by WEXFORDBELLE Mon Mar 09, 2015 10:01 am

Hi I have just put the Sherbourne back down the farm I will go next Sunday and see if I can take some pictures, I will also get

the make and model of the towbar if that will help.

What I did notice when I was fitting a reversing camera this weekend is that the towbar is a serious bit of kit with really thick tubing

involved,

My towbar was professionally fitted (by the previous owner ) so on the label it has the approvals weight etc.

regards Pat up!
WEXFORDBELLE

Male

Back to top Go down