The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

advice needed please

+7
oldfred
mikethebike
inspiredron
dandywarhol
-mojo-
Paulmold
Juliejuel
11 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

advice needed please  Empty advice needed please

Post by Juliejuel Sun Dec 21, 2014 5:10 pm

Hi I'm trying to learn how to use my Neuveo EK ... Can anyone advise me why I can't get the sockets to work using the leisure battery? ( I couldn't get the fire to work on 12v either) I had the lights working.

Also where would I find the fuse box? ..
Juliejuel
Juliejuel

Female

Member Age : 64
Auto-Sleeper : Neuvo
Vehicle Year : 2009

Back to top Go down

advice needed please  Empty Re: advice needed please

Post by Paulmold Sun Dec 21, 2014 5:39 pm

Do you mean the 3pin sockets?.If you do, they work off mains electric just like at home.  Your lights all run off the leisure battery. Your fire only uses the 12v to ignite the gas but that could also have a battery inside for that purpose. It will run on gas or mains electric. From your photo I assume you bought from a dealer, did they not do a handover explaining the workings? If local I would go back and ask them to run through things again.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Post by -mojo- Sun Dec 21, 2014 5:47 pm

Also, have you looked in the Owner's Handbook? You don't say what year your van is, but there are manuals for four different types/years of Nuevo available for download from AutoSleepers' website.

Although the manuals are not usually very complete, the ones for the Nuevo have a picture of the power control unit/fuse box in it, and it looks very distinctive, so assuming you're looking thoroughly it should be very difficult to miss!
-mojo-
-mojo-

Male

Member Age : 24
Auto-Sleeper : Trooper
Vehicle Year : 2006

Back to top Go down

Post by dandywarhol Sun Dec 21, 2014 8:43 pm

The habitation side of the van won't work when the engine is running.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 69
Auto-Sleeper : Ex Clubman Anniversa
Vehicle Year : 2003

Back to top Go down

Post by inspiredron Mon Dec 22, 2014 12:21 am

Hi, Julie! From your other posts I can see that you are new to motorhoming, you have bought privately and that your budget was up to £25k. So I guess that your van may be a bit too old to find the handbook on the Auto-sleepers website which only has Nuevos from 2009. I would also guess that you may have got a bit overwhelmed at your handover from the previous owner - there was a lot to take in.
Never fear - there are lots of helpful folk here. But we cannot help much until you tell us more about your van. Year, mileage and type of cab would be a good start. It is probably a Peugeot Boxer but could have rectsngular headlights with single lenses, rectangular with two lenses or the X250 type with odd shaped headlights. Then there are differences between the bodies. The registration year would help narrow it down but it may possibly be a late registered vehicle. I suggest that you add a bit more detail to your profile.
Once we know your van then folk with the same type can give focussed help and maybe even a handbook copy.
I hope that helps.

Male

Member Age : 82
Auto-Sleeper : Lancashire
Vehicle Year : 2012

Back to top Go down

Post by Juliejuel Mon Dec 22, 2014 8:42 am

Wow Ron ....now I am even more confused .... Very easy for me lol 
Answeres I know are the year is 2009, Peugeot Boxer 333swb, 2198cc.
Yes I brought from a private sale not local to me. I have an Owners manual (auto-sleepers Peugeot Neuevo/Neuvo ES) it shows me a diagramme of fuse box but not where to find it .... I've looked everywhere I could think of in the van for it but can't find it. The book doesn't seem to give any info on how to actually use 12v for things like boiling a kettle. 
The kettle is a low watt and has a normal (household type) plug. I couldn't get the cooker electric ring to work ..or the kettle or toaster when wild camping ....I've worked out how to use the loo though lol ....I have so much to learn .... Thank you everyone for any advice given please keep it comming ..... My van is a Peugeot Neuvo EK 2009 (2seats) I paid 28.500

..... Im determined to learn all I can so I will be able to enjoy using it for holidays and days/weekends away. .......
Juliejuel
Juliejuel

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Mon Dec 22, 2014 9:00 am

You cannot use anything with a standard 3-pin plug unless you are on electric hook-up. Doesn't matter how low-wattage it is, if it's got a 3-pin plug it needs mains electric (that goes for your toaster as well). So for wild camping you need to use a gas kettle and the gas grill for your toast. Your electric ring (plate) on your cooker will not work unless on mains electric. Your 12v leisure battery works all the lights, the water pump, the loo flush, electric step if you have one and the 12v sockets (the one with two slots, one larger than the other). Your water heater will work on gas or mains electric and so does your fire.

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by mikethebike Mon Dec 22, 2014 9:15 am

Can anyone help with the fuse box? I would like to know where they hide it as well.!!

Micky
mikethebike
mikethebike

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Symphony
Vehicle Year : 2000

Back to top Go down

Post by oldfred Mon Dec 22, 2014 9:31 am

Open the wardrobe door, take out the false floor and open the drawer, the fuse box 12v power box is on the left side wall it has an on off switch on the top. On the back wall above the the water heater are the cut out switches for mains power the switches should all be in the 'on' i.e. up position.

Hope your van is like mine or the above is all wrong !
Regards
Fred
oldfred
oldfred

Male

Member Age : 76
Auto-Sleeper : nuevo

Back to top Go down

Post by CC Mon Dec 22, 2014 10:24 am

On our Nuevo the fuses were built into the Bonus PSU underneath the drivers side bench seat / bed Julie, suspect yours will be the same. There are some pull off clear plastic covers, give those a tug and you get access to them.

I think Oldfred is talking about the trips which are at the back of the wardrobe wall underneath the pull out floor panel, you need to pull the drawer forward to access this. (never had to touch ours)

The other bank of fuses are to the right of the steering wheel in the cab, its a square panel but this is for the vehicle electrics.

You will at first find it difficult to understand how you can manage without electricity, its not a big deal honest. Just imagine when you are on a campsite with hook up everything works of the electric, when off hook up ie wild camping then you have to draw your power from the leisure battery so everything has to be low voltage 12v so just switch over to gas. your fridge, heating, water heater all run off your gas, the TV, shower, water pump, lighting etc all run off your leisure battery. 

it'll take a little getting used to but you'll do everything without thinking about it after a few trips.

Another point worth noting with the cold spell upon us is to ensure the motorhomes water system is fully emptied to protect against frost damage.

Male

Member Age : 59
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EL Duo

Back to top Go down

Post by inspiredron Mon Dec 22, 2014 1:10 pm

Julie,
I am sorry if I confused you. It's good that you have got a manual and thanks for confirming that it is a 2009 vehicle. That means that it has the rather odd shape headlights that sweep up slightly at the outside edges and Peugeot call it the X250.
If it is a 2009 it might be the Nuevo II. Does your manual have a picture of the power supply (called an EC325) on page 7-14 or does your manual show something different?  If it is different then you probably don't have a Nuevo II but an earlier one that was first registered in 2009.
However, if it is an EC325 then you can see the mains fuses referred to as "RCD & 3 MCB's" and the 12V fuses are at the bottom of the unit on the left hand side behind two plastic covers that are really difficult to remove. They do come off with a hard pull but are really difficult to grip. However, you are unlikely to need to touch those.
On my 2012 Lancashire (which is the same as a Nuevo) the EC325 is in the wardrobe on the back wall.
Other folk have already said that you cannot run things from the domestic style sockets unless you are plugged into the site mains. But they wil not work off mains either unless the RCD and the MCB's are in the on position.
Also nothing 12V will work when the engine is running EXCEPT the Fridge 12V which will ONLY work (if it is switched on) when the engine is running. Confusing, isn't it? You can see when the fridge is working on 12V because a red light will be on inside the 12V switch. The fridge will also show if it is working on mains as the 240V switch has a green light in it.
Your 12V sockets might look like the cigarette lighter socket in your car and like the two that are on the dashboard near the oddments cup. You will probably only use those for charging your phone or maybe powering the 12V TV if you have one.
Somewhere in the van, probably near the door there will be a control panel which lets you switch the 12V things on or off - such as internal lights and water pump. That, too is described in the manual. It also controls charging the 12V batteries when you are plugged into the mains.
You are currently on a very steep learning curve. Don't worry about it - you will soon get used to how things work and how they differ from things at home.
It's a great life and you will enjoy your Nuevo.

Last edited by inspiredron on Mon Dec 22, 2014 1:15 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : a few typos)

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by oldfred Mon Dec 22, 2014 6:37 pm

It's amazing how different the 'same' models can be.

I agree about the plastic covers but I have had to take them off to reseat fuses that have loosened on journeys, fortunately the touch panel tells me which one. You need a torch for this.

My 12v habitation electrics stay on when I start the engine and go off when I start to move, this also pulls in the step and starts the fridge on 12v.

I discovered that my 2009 Nuevo  (Handbook printed 2006, build paperwork 2007) is not badged as a II but does have the same body as II. I thought it was a 'classic' until I parked next to one. The 'real' II's have other differences.

Really I shouldn't be worried - cars change quite a bit while keeping the same model name.

Regards
Fred
oldfred
oldfred

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by inspiredron Mon Dec 22, 2014 7:04 pm

oldfred wrote:It's amazing how different the 'same' models can be.

I agree about the plastic covers but I have had to take them off to reseat fuses that have loosened on journeys, fortunately the touch panel tells me which one. You need a torch for this.

My 12v habitation electrics stay on when I start the engine and go off when I start to move, this also pulls in the step and starts the fridge on 12v.

I discovered that my 2009 Nuevo  (Handbook printed 2006, build paperwork 2007) is not badged as a II but does have the same body as II. I thought it was a 'classic' until I parked next to one. The 'real' II's have other differences.

Really I shouldn't be worried - cars change quite a bit while keeping the same model name.

Regards
Fred
Blooming heck! I am tempted to say "What touch panel?"
Sorry, Julie I guess that unwittingly I have led you a dance but Oldfred's post does illustrate why we need lots of info to be able to advise you accurately. There have been lots of changes and I suppose that some are due to A/S changing hands at various times - or even difficulty of getting some parts to build them causing substitution of others.

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Juliejuel Mon Dec 22, 2014 7:58 pm

Thank you everyone for your help and advice. I really do appreciate it. 
Oldfred I found the box behind the draw .... I would never have thought to look there. Thank you.
I think I've now understood that I CANNOT use the 3pin sockets unless I am either connected via EHU or I have an inverter fitted. So my thoughts about being able to boil the electric kettle are no good unless I'm hooked to the mains ( I don't have an inverter .....yet). So I will need to use the gas for my cuppas when wild camping. 
Many thanks once again everyone ( please let me know if I've got it wrong) 
I'm sure I'll have many more questions as I've lots to learn ....watch this space lol 
Merry Christmas Everyone x
Juliejuel
Juliejuel

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Juliejuel Mon Dec 22, 2014 7:59 pm

Ron you and Fred have been very helpful as have others ....I appreciate everyone's comments :)
Juliejuel
Juliejuel

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by repoort Mon Dec 22, 2014 8:15 pm

....just a thought - even when using EHU, don't be tempted to use your domestic toaster, it's far too powerful. If the vans' gas grill isn't good enough, then you'll need a specific low wattage "camping" toaster.
Personally, you can't beat a good piece of toast in the morning...you can keep your bacon, however nice it smells.....
repoort
repoort
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 74
Auto-Sleeper : T5 Trooper
Vehicle Year : 2007

Back to top Go down

Post by Juliejuel Mon Dec 22, 2014 8:25 pm

Thanks Report for advice about toaster ....Can I use a normal domestic TV ....or microwave when I'm connected to ehu?
Juliejuel
Juliejuel

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Mon Dec 22, 2014 8:40 pm

repoort wrote:....just a thought - even when using EHU, don't be tempted to use your domestic toaster, it's far too powerful. If the vans' gas grill isn't good enough, then you'll need a specific low wattage "camping" toaster.
Personally, you can't beat a good piece of toast in the morning...you can keep your bacon, however nice it smells.....

Have to disagree, normal domestic toaster is fine  but depends on wattage. Don't be tempted to buy a special 'caravan low wattage toaster' which will be about 800 watt and priced around £20. Argos sell a domestic toaster, 800 watt at £4.99. We have one, it's fine.
Paulmold
Paulmold
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by repoort Mon Dec 22, 2014 8:51 pm

..my apologies for any misleading information. I've always believed that any domestic electrical equipment - kettle, tv, microwave, etc, are all too powerful for use with EHU. So toast can still be enjoyed !
repoort
repoort
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 74
Auto-Sleeper : T5 Trooper
Vehicle Year : 2007

Back to top Go down

Post by PLOUGHLIN Mon Dec 22, 2014 8:54 pm

Paulmold wrote:
repoort wrote:....just a thought - even when using EHU, don't be tempted to use your domestic toaster, it's far too powerful. If the vans' gas grill isn't good enough, then you'll need a specific low wattage "camping" toaster.

Have to disagree, normal domestic toaster is fine  but depends on wattage. Don't be tempted to buy a special 'caravan low wattage toaster' which will be about 800 watt and priced around £20. Argos sell a domestic toaster, 800 watt at £4.99. We have one, it's fine.
Agree. In 2002 I bought a £4.50 2 slice toaster for my boat from Tesco, with the idea that if it lasted 2 years in the marine environment I could replace it. I have just transferred it to my MH in perfect condition.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 54
Auto-Sleeper : MB Gloucester
Vehicle Year : 2011

Back to top Go down

Post by oldfred Mon Dec 22, 2014 9:26 pm

Just a bit of advice about inverters. 

They can't be used for any high wattage appliances and even with things like laptops will soon run down the leisure battery.  I use our 330watt Maplin model to recharge the laptops and camera batteries while the van is moving with the inverter connected directly to the battery. I always disconnect when we stop as it takes current even when switched off.

Sorry if this is now getting off thread.

Fred 

PS

My old Tesco toaster still works in the van even though the plastic has melted a bit, think I might have been trying to cook with it !
oldfred
oldfred

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by deka Tue Dec 23, 2014 8:08 pm

I Agree, I use a normal domestic toaster and a 700w microwave, but I don't use them both at the same time, never had a problem
deka
deka

Male

Member Age : 80
Auto-Sleeper : Peugeot Sigma EL

Back to top Go down

Post by mikethebike Tue Dec 23, 2014 8:38 pm

Its not necessary to have all those electric gismo's.
Stopping at many places without EHU is not called wild camping.
We use the gas oven,gas rings and gas grill.
Having camped for more years than I can remember,i found gas to be perfectly adequate.
Forget about toasters and inverters.
Many of our members can manage without EHU and 16 amps.
Nothing better than camping without all the home paraphernalia .
Enjoy.

Micky

mikethebike
mikethebike

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by deka Tue Dec 23, 2014 8:55 pm

55 years ago I was camping under hessian bags sewn together covered in lard sleeping on duckboards in the winter, so I certainly don't need reminding about basic camping, so I'll stick to the electrics when I can and enjoy it
deka
deka

Male

Member Age : 80
Auto-Sleeper : Peugeot Sigma EL

Back to top Go down

Post by mikethebike Tue Dec 23, 2014 9:07 pm

Not replying to you Deka. However that's not what most consider to be called camping.I take it that was tongue in cheek?

Regards

Micky

mikethebike
mikethebike

Male

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next