Cupholder/tray for X250 vans

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Cupholder/tray for X250 vans

Post by paul bullock on Thu Nov 20, 2014 5:16 pm

I received yesterday from the chap who originated " mirror guards" ,his latest product ,a tray that fits in the large "glove/laptop box" in the centre of the dash in X250 vans [it is illustrated and described in Which MH page 79 new gear items ] the price was actually £38+p&p which I considered to be on the high side but having installed it , it looks good and gives you those much needed drink holders that should have been there originally! so all in all it was I think, well worth the money. When we are parked up next trip with the driver/passenger seats turned around I shall have somewhere other than the floor to temporarily rest my wineglass!![Never got along with the "coffee table thingy" that's left at home] up!           REGARDS PAUL
paul bullock
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 66
Auto-Sleeper : nuevo ek 2012

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Cupholder/tray for X250 vans

Post by Backtrax on Thu Nov 20, 2014 6:28 pm

Any chance of a pic?
Backtrax

Male

Member Age : 68
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EL Duo 2010

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by paul bullock on Thu Nov 20, 2014 6:50 pm

Sorry Backtrax but I really wouldn't know where to start! Ive only just learnt how to switch the laptop on ! Like I mentioned it is in the Dec issue of Which MH ,that is  where I noticed it ,but it really did turn out as good as I had hoped .I will add I have changed the white non slip mat supplied, with a black one,looks a lot better I think! But just a matter of taste.One day I will aspire to sending a photo ,just not of the "computer generation"!!    scratch head                                                     KIND REGARDS      Paul
paul bullock
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : nuevo ek 2012

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by CC on Thu Nov 27, 2014 10:08 am

Ive seen these at some of the recent shows and initially thought what a good idea, then studying the product it looked cheaply made IMO plus you have to have the glove box open when in use, you also have the hassle of having to find a storage space for it when not in use.

Also... I thought the price to buy one was plain stupid just as with the Mirror guards the same guy sells. He must think us Motorhomers are made of money! (Seem to recall they were around £40+)

Anoyed at the lack of cup holder facilities in the boxer, I've recently purchased a couple of good quality fold down drinks cup holders and am thinking about fixing them to each side of the glovebox front so they are permantly fixed and just flip down when needed.

Male

Member Age : 52
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EL Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

View user profile http://www.autosleeperforum.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post by Backtrax on Thu Nov 27, 2014 10:12 am

Fold down holders sounds a good idea CC
Can you post details please?
Backtrax

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by CC on Thu Nov 27, 2014 10:25 am

You can get them off eBay... Here's a pic 

Think they were just over a tenner for a pair but others are selling them for £8 or more each, will see if I can find the buyers link

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by CC on Thu Nov 27, 2014 10:35 am

Try searching item # 181583097346 on eBay if you're intrested Backtrax.

They appear to work well mounted on the doors above the speaker grill as this is a flush surface, the front of the glove box is not totally flush but after eyeing it up I'm pretty sure they will mount fine. The downside is fixing with self tapping screws but I've over looked this because they are needed so badly.

By the way... Does anyone know what those little metal squares are called that you screw into to get a secure fixing? They are used on speakers and stuff... Can't remember what they're called? 
Were they called something like sprigs or sprogs or have I completely lost the plot hugegrins

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold on Thu Nov 27, 2014 10:59 am

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo ES
Vehicle Year : 2006

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Backtrax on Thu Nov 27, 2014 2:54 pm

Thx CC
Have ordered a pair of them.
Before I go to trouble of making holes in van I shall try to make a couple of brackets which fit over the door arm rest. Then fix the holders to the brackets.
Have you found a way to remove the door arm rest if you intend to fix yours direct to it above the speaker grill?
Backtrax

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by CC on Fri Nov 28, 2014 11:15 am

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by CC on Fri Nov 28, 2014 11:26 am

Backtrax wrote:Thx CC
Have ordered a pair of them.
Before I go to trouble of making holes in van I shall try to make a couple of brackets which fit over the door arm rest. Then fix the holders to the brackets.
Have you found a way to remove the door arm rest if you intend to fix yours direct to it above the speaker grill?

I was just going to screw into the panel with some short self tappers... (That's if I decide to mount them on the doors) But I suspect I'll fix them to the front of the center glove box as previously mentioned.

I wouldn't normally consider screwing into stuff on the motorhome but the amount of times I swear because there's no where to place bottles while travelling or when stopping for a coffee on route just drives me crazy so don't think I'm going to worry about it, also if they are removed at a later date providing small screws are used it shouldn't be too hard to fill or make good the holes should the need arise.

Pity the holders are black rather than grey to match nicer.

By the way... You are right about the drop down bookshelf in the Broadway EL, it has no bungee cord like the drop down wine / cocktail shelf and TV shelf, but looks like one could be easily added as they all like identical mechanisms. Odd why Auto-Sleepers didn't fit one on that shelf scratch head

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Backtrax on Fri Nov 28, 2014 12:06 pm

I have made a prototype bracket from very light guage Aluminium sheet. It wraps around the arm rest and is easily removed because it is flexible and slightly 'springy'.
When I get the cup holders I shall make a pair of the correct width and paint them grey then fix the cup holders to them.
I will post a pic when complete.

Thx for investigating book shelf mechanism. I have actually now fitted a bungee chord since we do use it for storage of light weight items.

See my next posted topic today 'Winter Travel' which may interest you.
Backtrax

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by CC on Fri Nov 28, 2014 12:34 pm

Hi backtrax 

I looked at the space inside that bookshelf cupboard and was amazed how much space is wasted, really poor design choice decision at the time by Auto-Sleepers having the wine cupboard and bookshelves. 

They could have had the large lockers instead and had one as a wine cabinet as with previous models. Combined with the TV taking up a large locker they really did reduce the storage "For What?" in what is a fairly biggish van. My only critism of the Broadway EL is the lack of usable storage.

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by meanchris on Fri Nov 28, 2014 2:43 pm

Cruising Comet wrote:You can get them off eBay... Here's a pic 

Think they were just over a tenner for a pair but others are selling them for £8 or more each, will see if I can find the buyers link

We have three of these, which I think are a good second best to having integrated dash cup holders; two new ones bought from ebay and mounted on the seat boxes:

and one that came with the van, mounted on the bulkhead ahead of the bench seats.

meanchris

Male

Member Age : 63
Auto-Sleeper : None
Vehicle Year : N/A

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Backtrax on Tue Dec 02, 2014 12:21 pm

CC
Got the cupholders & made 2 types of bracket.
One fits around the armrest the other on the centre console.
Both solutions can be quickly removed & refiltted and do away with the need to drill holes in the vehicle.
Think I shall use the centre console solution for which I just needed to slightly adjust the closing catch.
Pics follow.

Armrest solution

Centre Console solution

Backtrax

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum