Soapbox

Go down

Soapbox

Post by Backtrax on Fri Nov 14, 2014 10:25 am

I was unsure in which section to post this, but wonder if the time has come to start a new forum section, which I suggest is entitled ‘Soapbox’.
The General Chat and Motorhome&Camping Chat sections are being hijacked by some, for what, in my opinion, amounts to a mix of political propaganda, editorial self-indulgence, and ego boosting.

Referring to some recent post topics:
‘Is the EU really a road to nowhere’ – there has been little or no debate going on here in the last 10 posts.
‘Beware the vultures are gathering’ – more ill informed nonsense that read like the scare articles of the Daily Express.
‘Dartford Crossing’ – Initially a good informative post which has rapidly digressed along similar lines.

I am all for free speech, but believe there is an appropriate time and place for any type of discussion.
Like most I enjoy reading the majority of posts on the forum but if the type of post to which I am referring was labelled ‘Soapbox section’, I could avoid them.
Frankly, if I wanted to read this sort of rubbish I would buy the Daily Mail or Daily Express.

Judging by some comments, I suspect I am saying here what many other forum members think.

Perhaps, to see who supports this view, I should set up a poll --- JOKE 
Backtrax

Male

Member Age : 68
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EL Duo 2010

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Soapbox

Post by repoort on Fri Nov 14, 2014 7:44 pm

...how would someone choose between general chat and a soapbox to post an opinion ?
After all, whatever section it is in you can avoid reading it if you don't like the subject.
repoort
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : T5 Trooper
Vehicle Year : 2007

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by TeamRienza on Fri Nov 14, 2014 8:13 pm

Hi Backtrax,
Looks like you will be the first one on the soapbox snigger   Joke !!

Davy
TeamRienza
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 64
Auto-Sleeper : Used to own a Rienza
Vehicle Year : 2006 Mk6

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by daisy mae on Fri Nov 14, 2014 10:09 pm

You don`t have to read those that you don`t like, you can tell by the heading surely. if you don`t fancy that thread pass on by.

I wasn`t aware that there was any hijacking, just because a few pps replied to others, called discussion , I thought it was civilised, there are some not many I may add that aren`t my cup of tea, but I don`t complain, just move on, after all the forum as I thought was for all members, you can please  some  some of the time, but not all the time,

Kind regards,
Margaret

Br. Seuss
daisy mae
Donator
Donator

Female

Auto-Sleeper : Amethyst and Topaz
Vehicle Year : 2003.98

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold on Sat Nov 15, 2014 8:27 am

The trouble with not reading the ramblings of one poster or another is that you don't know what someone else may be referring to, so I tend to read all posts. Other forums have 'a subscribers lounge' which is only accessible to paid up members, that cannot be done here as a free forum. The idea of a 'soapbox' or perhaps a section labelled 'politics' or 'religion' or some other contentious subject is not all bad and you would have a better idea of whether to avoid reading the posts contained in that section.
Another idea I had (pinched off another forum), was to have an 'ignore' button but that would prevent sensible, helpful posts (and they can be from the same members who try to force their political beliefs on us all) from any one member being seen at all, so that is also a non-starter.
It's difficult to have a free forum that cares for everyones' principles, ideas and thoughts but lets try to leave contentious subjects such as religion and politics out of what is after all a forum for Auto-Sleeper owners not for amateur politicians, lawyers or clerics.

Male

Member Age : 66
Auto-Sleeper : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by rogerblack on Sat Nov 15, 2014 10:39 am

"but lets try to leave contentious subjects such as religion and politics out of what is after all a forum for Auto-Sleeper owners not for amateur politicians, lawyers or clerics."

allthumbz

rogerblack
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 63
Auto-Sleeper : Pollensa/Boxer2.8HDi
Vehicle Year : 2002

View user profile http://www.crailholiday.com

Back to top Go down

Post by repoort on Sat Nov 15, 2014 7:19 pm

I can possibly understand a request to leave religion out of the forum - but not politics...politics governs (no pun intended) every single aspect of our lives (even the Dartford crossing...) and whatever we talk about on the forum, somewhere along the line politics has been involved .... why should we not talk about it ?
repoort
Donator
Donator

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Dutto on Sat Nov 15, 2014 7:56 pm

Hi there,

I abhor censorship in all its shapes and forms and refer everyone to the works of John Milton (1608-1674) whose "Areopagitica" speech to the British Parliament in 1644 became one of the most quoted arguments for freedom of expression, and remains today a true beacon of enlightenment.

I leave this Thread with three sayings:

"Evil minds see evil things when none exist."

"People who can't present a good counter argument always try to stop the opposition from speaking."

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

The last one may be a bit strong in the circumstance but I am pretty fed up of the "I'm all right Jack." attitude that is displayed toward the less well off; be they British subjects or people from other countries.

Best regards,
drinksallround

References:

http://www.beaconforfreedom.org/liste.html?tid=415&art_id=475

http://www.goodreads.com/quotes/613684-all-that-is-necessary-for-the-triumph-of-evil-is

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Duetto

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by boxerman on Sat Nov 15, 2014 8:14 pm

repoort wrote:I can possibly understand a request to leave religion out of the forum - but not politics...politics governs (no pun intended) every single aspect of our lives (even the Dartford crossing...) and whatever we talk about on the forum, somewhere along the line politics has been involved .... why should we not talk about it ?

Discussions about politics invariably lead to arguments. Arguments lead to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to the dark side.

Frank
boxerman
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 71
Auto-Sleeper : '95 Symphony
Vehicle Year : 1995

View user profile http://www.rtmr.org

Back to top Go down

Post by daisy mae on Sat Nov 15, 2014 8:32 pm

Sorry Frank that comes across as a bit strong, I do not hate anyone., one can be annoyed about something or someone, but hate, oh come on.

I will tell you this much, I may not always agree with Ian,  Dutto, but I respect his views, have you heard of banter,? where`s the harm in that,I wasn`t aware either, of anyone pushing their  views down any ones throat.

Sorry if you were upset about that particular post, but I do believe there were others who enjoyed it.

Kind regards to all, no hate no animosity
Margaret
daisy mae
Donator
Donator

Female

Auto-Sleeper : Amethyst and Topaz
Vehicle Year : 2003.98

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by repoort on Sat Nov 15, 2014 8:33 pm

there is no need for discussions about anything to lead to arguments...just talk sensibly and calmly like adults.
The advantage in replying via the forum is that there is time to reflect on what you want to say rather than instantly saying the first thing that you can think of, and regretting it later.

I would expect that most AS motor caravan owners to be mature, sensible people with an ability to see the other persons' point of view, even if you don't agree with it.
repoort
Donator
Donator

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by inspiredron on Sun Nov 16, 2014 2:40 pm

Most of the forums are headed with a subtitle that refers to "Auto-Sleepers" or motorhomes. Anything outside that should be in the sections that are designated for fun chat or grumpy old men.

With all due respect, the Dartford crossing toll system change was itself a thread of general motorhoming interest and posted as such. Once it became a moan about the methods of payment or size of the toll it belonged more properly to the Grumpy Old Men section.

When threads get very contentious, such as the EU thread, I believe that they should be stopped for 2 reasons - they threaten to destroy the generally pleasant and helpful atmosphere of the forum and they also take up an amount of server space disproportionate (in my view) to their value to members in general - which Admin is paying for. The space had to be doubled recently to allow for all our added photos.

Please let's keep this forum on track. Another well known forum is the generally accepted one that attracts moaners - I like to think that this forum is more constructive and centred on its prime purpose of sharing our motorhoming experience and expertise.

Male

Member Age : 76
Auto-Sleeper : Lancashire
Vehicle Year : 2012

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum