motorhomes and mobility problems

View previous topic View next topic Go down

motorhomes and mobility problems

Post by Juliejuel on Tue Nov 11, 2014 7:49 am

It may seem a silly question but I'm hoping for some serious advice.
 After several years of dreaming to own a motorhome we decided to plump our life savings into one and have been looking at different models. I've now found a perfect one that I'd like Autosleeper Neuvo. 
But now I have a delema ..I've damaged my knee which I've been advised won't get any better. I can still get in a motorhome using the steps (albeit slowly) its painful to walk on
So my delema is do I go ahead and buy one? 
Does anyone else have my disability or any other disabilities and still manage to motor home happily? 
Thanks 
Juels
Juliejuel

Female

Auto-Sleeper : Neuvo
Vehicle Year : 2009

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: motorhomes and mobility problems

Post by roli on Tue Nov 11, 2014 8:15 am

There are lots of disabled people use motorhomes.   There are of course many types of disability, but lets consider your problem knee.

The inbuilt steps on most motorhomes are not designed for disabled access and a stand alone step will help resolve the problem of the step being too close top the van.

Van height, Nuevos are not too high so a single or double step would be ok.  (Recent models are a bit higher off the ground)

We know at least 4 people who have now had knee surgery but previous to op didnt didnt give up their m/h and are now glad. We know others still waiting for surgery and still m/homing

What you must do is take time to consider the layout for ease of moving around and general access.

There are a couple of layout options with the Nuevo and Lancashires (same van) look at both if thats the size of van you want.

Regarding other disabilities which affect mobilty - you would be surprised how many wheelchair users are motorhomers and caravanners

Disability is an inconvenience but doesnt have to stop you enjoying life - I know

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Warwick Duo
Vehicle Year : 2016

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Dutto on Tue Nov 11, 2014 10:21 am

Hi there,

Over the last four years my knees have deteriorated badly so getting into and out of "Petal" has been progressively more difficult; but it has kept me active!

Although it's been painful getting in and out, the activity we have enjoyed in "Petal" has at least stopped me becoming a "blob" sat on a settee in front of the TV watching Jeremy Kyle and bemoaning my fate; plus, there are considerable benefits to a motorhome if you are disabled:

1.  Everything is "to hand" in "Petal" so cooking, making a cuppa, going to the loo, getting into and out of bed etc are all easier than at home.

2.  Shopping when on the move is easy.  I just drive "Petal" to the supermarket, whip out the "Disabled" sticker, struggle out of the van, get a trolley to support my knees and "Bingo!" I get to choose my own booze!

3.  Driving is a breeze.  The Transit van was designed for long-distance driving and using the base for a motorhome hasn't in any way detracted from its fantastic driving position.

4.  I find that stepping up and down to get in and out of the driving seat is easier on "Petal" than trying to do "squats" getting in and out of an ordinary car.

5.  I fitted Cruise Control to "Petal" and there is also an automatic version available.  Both of these improvements make driving even easier.

I recommend that you go and buy a van end enjoy it as long as you can before doing what I am doing ....

.... which is to go into hospital a week tomorrow (19th November) to get my first new knee! gimmefive gimmefive

I hope this has helped. allthumbz

Best regards,
drinksallround

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Duetto

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by daisy mae on Tue Nov 11, 2014 12:54 pm

I also have a bad knee due to injury, will not be any better,operation isn`t an option in my case, the consultant said,  so you learn to live it with, and doesn`t mean giving up or giving in, life is for living so my motto is do what I can when I can who knows what the future has in store,  I bought my motorhome one reason was a car is so uncomfortable for me, I hate struggling to get in and out of my husbands car, the MH  is miles better getting up rather than down getting out is easier still, a joy to drive, that is why it is my everyday vehicle, plus having a loo on board is a bonus, go for it, you will not regret it, wish  I had gone down this route years ago.

Regards,
Marg

Last edited by daisy mae on Tue Nov 11, 2014 12:55 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : didn`t finish a sentance)
daisy mae
Donator
Donator

Female

Auto-Sleeper : Anniversary Clubman
Vehicle Year : Oct. 2003 VW 2.5 TDI

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by breakaleg on Tue Nov 11, 2014 1:22 pm

Hi, I have two bad legs, one worse than the other, always motorhomed for long before my disability, had to change my van before the disability (clubman) as it was to narrow between the seats (to get dressed easily) difficult to access the drivers seat from inside the van due to the even narrower space the gear change and handbrake, the solution, bought a Marquis Lancashire, same as the nuevo., More space between seats all the way through the van, we had a electric step fitted, refillable gas cylinders (no more carrying and struggling to get them in the locker, bar across the door, helps me enter the van, sog system for the toilet (so I can empty the toilet every day as it gets to heavy for me to carry when full) auto clutch, so I don't use my left leg to change gear and cruise control.
all of the above help, remember to go up steps on your good leg and down on your bad leg.
Most of all, enjoy your van.
Pete
breakaleg

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Lancashire

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Juliejuel on Tue Nov 11, 2014 1:47 pm

Thank you for your replies they have really been helpful. I'm so pleased it seems I can go ahead and buy my dream. 

Ditto -your point 5 is a very good one for me.., I'm not sure how cruise control works but an automatic if I can find one ( I can't afford brand new) maybe good as its painful when changing gears on my car.Good luck with your op 

Thank you everyone your advice & experiences are appreciated

Juels
Juliejuel

Female

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by breakaleg on Tue Nov 11, 2014 1:49 pm

auto clutch converts a manual van, not as good as a full auto box, you have to change gear but don't have to operate the clutch pedal, google auto clutch.
Pete
breakaleg

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by daisy mae on Tue Nov 11, 2014 2:46 pm

I have a plastic step to get in the habitation side, more solid and feels safer, quite a large footprint too, I tried a van with the step incorporated, didn`t feel safe and it wasn`t wide enough, not for me anyway.
daisy mae
Donator
Donator

Female

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by repoort on Thu Nov 13, 2014 7:43 pm

Plastic step ?
I've seen some blow away in a strong wind...sometimes ending up against some unfortunate persons' camper or caravan.
The step that I use is a metal one, with folding legs for easier storage. Came from ebay for £7.
repoort
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : T5 Trooper
Vehicle Year : 2007

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by daisy mae on Thu Nov 13, 2014 8:15 pm

Mine is the heavy type, in over 30 years never had a problem or know anyone else who has. folding step I didn`t feel safe on.
daisy mae
Donator
Donator

Female

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by terrybrinklow on Fri Nov 21, 2014 8:04 pm

Mines the 2 step one ,easier getting in and out ,plus decent grab handle inside [bought at local DIY store]
terrybrinklow
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Legend
Vehicle Year : 1997

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue68 on Fri Nov 21, 2014 8:44 pm

Sue68

Female

Vehicle Year : 1996

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by daisy mae on Fri Nov 21, 2014 9:35 pm

I bought that one and when in place, my hab door caught on the top of the step, ok if I left hab door open, not feasable obviously, just need to be a bit lower so had to return it, that is why I have the single step with a wide foot print.
daisy mae
Donator
Donator

Female

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Juliejuel on Sun Nov 23, 2014 5:16 pm

Thank you for all your advice on this I am now about to purchase a Neuvo ( pick up and n 2 weeks)
Juliejuel

Female

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulwest55 on Wed Nov 26, 2014 5:01 pm

Hi the MMM magazine December issue has a mobility guide included some useful practical advice and travel and buying ( there are other motor home magazines ) and a article from David Watson from the forum about his duetto hope this helps as said before everyone's needs vary
Paul and CazCaz
Paulwest55
Donator
Donator

Male

View user profile http://www.our-duetto.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Juliejuel on Wed Nov 26, 2014 9:36 pm

Thanks Paul I must have read your mind I brought this mag yesterday. ( first time I'd purchased it) It seems very useful
Juliejuel

Female

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by mikethebike on Wed Nov 26, 2014 10:11 pm

Hi I don't think you can get an Auto Neuvo?

Regards

Micky
mikethebike

Male

Auto-Sleeper : none

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by breakaleg on Thu Nov 27, 2014 12:10 pm

mikethebike wrote:Hi I don't think you can get an Auto Neuvo?

Regards

Micky
Your right, but auto clutch is an after fit for around £1500.00. it works by dipping the clutch pedal when you press a button, (don't leave your foot under the pedal, it hurts) you still have to change gear manually, but it will creep along in heavy/slow traffic and you can transfer it to your next van.
Pete
breakaleg

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by mikethebike on Thu Nov 27, 2014 1:25 pm

Hi Pete, That's interesting. Is it easy to slip the clutch,say starting on a hill?

regards
Micky
mikethebike

Male

Auto-Sleeper : none

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by breakaleg on Thu Nov 27, 2014 3:15 pm

Yes, when you take your foot off the brake the clutch finds the biting point, you just increase the revs and the clutch engages & when you take it in for a service etc you flick a switch and it goes back to a manual van.
It isn't as good as a proper automatic but it is more economical as you change the gear. plus you can swap it to the next van you buy.
Pete
p.s just search auto clutch or click and go both the same item.

Last edited by breakaleg on Thu Nov 27, 2014 3:16 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Spelling)
breakaleg

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum