What a pity

Go down

What a pity

Post by Paulmold on Mon Nov 03, 2014 6:25 pm

What a pity that the purpose of this forum - for like minded, Auto-Sleeper owners to help, advise and generally chat about their hobby - has been forgotten and the majority of posts over the last couple of weeks have been between a handful of members shoving their political beliefs down the throats of the rest of us.
 Maybe because the season is coming to an end for many, there are fewer motorhome based questions being asked but lets get back to what this forum was formed for. Those with strong political views will never change those with opposing views so why bother trying. Keep politics and religion out. Heaven knows what visitors to the forum think, would I join a forum where the main topic seems to be the EU or immigration? No.
Paulmold

Male

Member Age : 67
Auto-Sleeper : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: What a pity

Post by mikethebike on Mon Nov 03, 2014 6:50 pm

Hi I agree. I have stopped posting.

best regards

Mike
mikethebike

Male

Auto-Sleeper : none

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by roli on Mon Nov 03, 2014 7:21 pm

I too agree and part of the moderation thing is no politics,religion,racial issues however in the past when I have removed things falling in these categories I have subject to emails and PMS which I can take. I am quite prepared to moderate and accept critism for for doing this if it is what members want.

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper : Warwick Duo
Vehicle Year : 2016

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by richardstubbs on Mon Nov 03, 2014 7:54 pm

Do you think you could remove the 'poll' about immigration then please? I for one would hate to see this forum descend into the kind of vitriolic comments and name-calling that besets another forum which is dedicated, apparently, to camping other than on campsites...

If you don't want to then no problem.

Richard.
richardstubbs

Male

Member Age : 54
Auto-Sleeper : Rapport
Vehicle Year : 1988

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by daisy mae on Mon Nov 03, 2014 8:39 pm

I agree it has got why out  of hand,  so drop it can you delete the thread please. and I am not contributing , sorry if I have added to this,I apologise to all members. blushes

Dr. Seuss
daisy mae
Donator
Donator

Female

Auto-Sleeper : Amethyst and Topaz
Vehicle Year : 2003.98

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Backtrax on Mon Nov 03, 2014 9:47 pm

Could not agree more.
I was giving serious thought to abandoning the forum because it was in danger of becoming a chat room for a few members to exchange banal platitudes.
Well done Paulmold for expressing the point.
Hopefully we can get back to posts that represent the purpose of the forum.
Backtrax

Male

Member Age : 69
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EL Duo 2010

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by TeamRienza on Mon Nov 03, 2014 10:05 pm

Whilst I agree that the main purpose of the forum is motorhoming, I have found the debate on the EU to be most informative and debated in a well mannered exchange which is typical of this forum.

It is, it seems to me, quite unusual for a thread to run for so long, and it is unlikely that such a scenario will re-occur for the foreseeable future.

Where do we draw the line ?, should humour, pets, motorbikes, et al be off limits. As for wanting the thread removed, it would be a very poor reflection on the tolerance normally displayed here.

I had intended when the thread finally died out to thank the contributors, and in particular Ian (Dutto) for the obviously huge amount of time and effort devoted to researching the topic irrespective of the standpoint of the members.

Davy
TeamRienza
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 64
Auto-Sleeper : Used to own a Rienza
Vehicle Year : 2006 Mk6

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by repoort on Mon Nov 03, 2014 10:09 pm

....I counted 38 separate sections of the forum, more than enough for everyone to find something of interest, covering every topic you could possibly want to know about or contribute to...but if there's a subject you personally object to, then....don't go there, don't read it !
It's no different to TV programmes - don't like the subject....then don't watch it !
Nobody has the right to decide what the forum should or shouldn't discuss.
repoort
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 68
Auto-Sleeper : T5 Trooper
Vehicle Year : 2007

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Dutto on Mon Nov 03, 2014 10:35 pm

Hi there,

It would appear that, at the latest count, the Thread in question has been read on over 1,750 occasions. wave  wave  wave

In the history of this Forum has any other Thread attracted this much attention?  If there has then I can't remember what it was about.  scratch head

Maybe the people asking for the Thread be shutdown or removed are beginning to realise that they are losing the debate. Whistle1

Best regards,
drinksallround

PS  I didn't start the Thread, I, just responded.

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Duetto

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by daisy mae on Mon Nov 03, 2014 10:43 pm

Not so Ian, I don`t think it fair to other members, it is not about winning or losing it was a discussion ,any way it was getting boring,  wasn`t in it to win anything, I don`t work on that principal.
I have my own principals and arguing to gain points is not my style .

Regards,
Margaret

Dr. Seuss
daisy mae
Donator
Donator

Female

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold on Mon Nov 03, 2014 11:10 pm

Ian
You posted three times as many posts as the next nearest. It was no longer a debate but a one-sided lecture.

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Dutto on Mon Nov 03, 2014 11:56 pm

Paul,

I have had a few PM's from people who have given me their support.  They obviously do not wish to be named and I respect their wishes.

I would like to remind everyone of the definition of two words:

"Discussion - The action or process of talking about something in order to reach a decision or to exchange ideas."

"Lecture - An educational talk to an audience, especially to one of students in a university."

All I have ever wished to do on the Thread in question is to "educate" by offering alternative views, usually supported by references.

Best regards,
drinksallround
Ian

PS

A second definition of "Lecture" is "A long serious speech, especially one given as a scolding or reprimand."

None of my Posts were intended to be "scolding" or in any way a "reprimand" and if they have been viewed that way I apologise.

Reference:

http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/english/discussion

Donator
Donator

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Dutto on Tue Nov 04, 2014 12:14 am

roli wrote:I too agree and part of the moderation thing is no politics,religion,racial issues however in the past when I have removed things falling in these categories I have subject to emails and PMS which I can take. I am quite prepared to moderate and accept critism for for doing this if it is what members want.
Roger,

The original Post asked:

"I'm wondering what the repercussions of leaving the EU would mean for us all? 

Can anyone give their viewpoints or clarify the fors and against us being EU members?"

The query is a valid one because leaving the EU, after over forty years of membership, will be an immense step for the UK to take; and it should only be taken after weighing the facts surrounding the UK's membership.

The very nature of the query is "political" but apart from expressions of distrust in past, present and possibly future governments I am unaware of anyone being"Party Political" in their reposes; including myself.

In my opinion it would be a shame to pull the plug on this Thread or the Poll (where 32 votes have already been cast).

Best regards,
drinksallround
Ian

Donator
Donator

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Swansea Jac on Tue Nov 04, 2014 12:55 am

Hey!  Lighten Up! This has been an interesting adult, intelligent discussion.....rare these days!  Mostly, this forum is about Auto-Sleepers.... but this bit is about anything anyone wants to discuss!  If you are not interested, you are not obliged either to read or comment... However, if you disagree with the sentiments or observations, you are free to comment.  What is the problem?
Swansea Jac
Donator
Donator

Female

Member Age : 79
Auto-Sleeper : Legend
Vehicle Year : 2000

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold on Tue Nov 04, 2014 6:28 am

Dutto wrote:Paul,

I have had a few PM's from people who have given me their support.  They obviously do not wish to be named and I respect their wishes.

Why are these people not expressing their support on here? 

My final words on this thread or the EU thread before it all gets personal.
Paulmold

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by roli on Tue Nov 04, 2014 6:38 am

OK I have locked the Poll topic, I have asked Admin to remove it (I cant delete polls)

Regarding the EU post, admit its gone on a bit but its a topical subject and not really UK party political.  It was posted by CC who is the senior moderator so presumably keeps an eye on thread and is still happy with it being there

I have noted your comments for future threads

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper : Warwick Duo
Vehicle Year : 2016

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Nain on Tue Nov 04, 2014 7:32 am

As someone who has followed the EU post with interest, I have thoroughly enjoyed it.   Imagine what a student posed with a similar question in an essay could make of it... even references have been listed!  I totally agree with Swansea Jac's comments; after all,  no one is being forced to read the post. Regards to all.

Last edited by Nain on Tue Nov 04, 2014 7:33 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : typo)
Nain
Donator
Donator

Female

Member Age : 59
Auto-Sleeper : None
Vehicle Year : None

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Backtrax on Tue Nov 04, 2014 8:17 am

As usual, some seem to be losing the plot here.
I understood the sentiment of Paulmold's original post was not that the EU debate was invalid but that it (and similar political/religious topics) was starting to dominate this forum, which is not its main purpose.
I fully support this view point.
As I posted, the forum is in danger of becoming a 'pub chat room', and there are plenty of other forums available for that.
I think a political/topical poll was probably the final straw.......
Lets try to keep to the main purpose of the forum - with just a bit of humour thrown in.
Backtrax

Male

Member Age : 69
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EL Duo 2010

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by daisy mae on Tue Nov 04, 2014 11:03 am

HERE HERE !!!!!

Dr. Seuss
daisy mae
Donator
Donator

Female

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by pablo on Tue Nov 04, 2014 2:52 pm

For what it is worth my view is that if you want a "grumpy old git" or a "general discussion" session then you are going to get what you asked for and, whilst some might not like the lengths to which it has gone on, you have to give credit for those that take the time and trouble to participate. It was/is like a heavyweight boxing match at times with two titans slugging it out in the ring until one or both fall down exhausted. Also, to some, amusing, educational, informative and yes a bit OTT, but thanks guys for keeping me entertained. 

But there are plenty of other topics and if you get fed up with all this EU stuff then, like someone else said, don't bother to read it. It does help to make this a colourful, interesting  Forum. After all how to improve our motorhome experiences etc are why we read the Forum but we arent going to have a big debate over leaky Thetford cassettes.That there is other non motorhome stuff too which may rouse stronger feelings and opinions, all within the limits of the "house rules" of course, is an added attraction. I think this Forum has the right balance. Now who thinks Russell Brand is a complete ******?
pablo

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by groundhog on Tue Nov 04, 2014 4:33 pm

As a contributor to the thread and having just read this I make no apology! I have tried to contribute to a debate on a serious issue in a rational and sometimes humorous way.

I have never mentioned my political persuasion nor would I.

It is there to read and contribute to if you wish. If you don't....pass it by.

I do not wish to discuss the benefits or otherwise of many things, should others be banned for discussing them - I think not.

Last edited by groundhog on Tue Nov 04, 2014 4:35 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : context)
groundhog
Donator
Donator

Auto-Sleeper : Worcester

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by deka on Tue Nov 04, 2014 8:14 pm

It seems to me that this thread as run it's course, So back to normal, Merry Christmas to you all, Also is anyone out over the new year,
deka

Male

Member Age : 75
Auto-Sleeper : Peugeot Sigma EL

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum