The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Spending big money on maintaining van

+4
RichardB
Cymro
roli
Dutto
8 posters

Go down

Spending big money on maintaining van Empty Spending big money on maintaining van

Post by Guest Fri Oct 31, 2014 12:20 am

We have a 2007 Inca, I've posted previously that, probably by luck more than judgement, it has turned out to be our perfect van, size and layout.
It's done 23000 miles, my wife and I both would happily run this van for another 10 years and more.
But, we have had a couple of leaks, now hopefully sorted. Having suffered from it over the last 30 years of caravanning, we do worry about damp.

I spoke to Willersley, a full reseal would be about £1,600. While it was there, I would get a few other things done (if they were possible), I estimate the total cost might be as much as £4,000.

For a van we enjoy using and are looking to keep for another 10 years, that seems like a good deal.
What do you think?
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Spending big money on maintaining van Empty Re: Spending big money on maintaining van

Post by Dutto Fri Oct 31, 2014 12:58 am

Hi there,

"Petal" is a 1998 Duetto and we will try and keep her in decent condition until we can't physically do camping any longer.

We try to keep ahead of the rust by having her touched up every year and keep her serviced on a regular basis.  We bought her for £15,000 four years ago and have spent +/- a £1,000 a year on maintenance.

Because she ticks all the boxes for us it's a no-brainer to keep her running as long as we can; and hopefully "Petal" will last for many more years and may possibly outlive us!

My advice is that if you have found the van that makes you smile every time you get into it, keep it and bite the bullet on repairs and maintenance.

We keep a log of mileage and fuel and when we filled up with the "10p off every litre" deal at Morrisons today "Petal" had clocked up 100,100 miles.

In other words, she is just about run-in! allthumbz

Best regards,
drinksallround

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Duetto

Back to top Go down

Spending big money on maintaining van Empty Re: Spending big money on maintaining van

Post by roli Fri Oct 31, 2014 6:55 am

If its what you want, do it.    I think sometimes there is the temptation to change the van then you sit back and say why.  We are happy with what we have and we "know" the van, change the van and you get a stranger and inherit all sorts of of problems.
roli
roli

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Warwick Duo
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymro Fri Oct 31, 2014 8:13 am

1. The mileage on your Inca is low; it should be mechanically OK for many years;
2. You say that your leaks have hopefully been sorted; so there's no immediate need for a reseal;
3. The main depreciation on the vehicle has by now occurred; it will better hold its value in the coming years;
4. However, the opportunity cost of buying a replacement is relatively low because worldwide interest rates are at a record low;

Put that mix together, and I'd (a) get it rustproofed and undersealed (if not already done); (b) continue to have annual vehicle and habitation services; (c) monitor for possible damp - and only if necessary get it fixed; (d) keep your contingency fund untouched; (e) rejoice that you've found your ideal van - and enjoy it: the next one may not bring such contentment!
Cymro
Cymro
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo ES
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Post by RichardB Fri Oct 31, 2014 2:04 pm

Cymro wrote:(a) get it rustproofed and undersealed (if not already done);

Hi all
I have a similar issue with my van - its a 1999 Peugeot Boxer Harmony.   MOT had loads of rust advisories but passed.
I am not sure whether I would be better to sell and upgrade or spend and get it fixed.

With regard rustproofing/undersealing, would I need to get all traces of rust underneath removed before doing this to make it worth while, or now that there is rust, is it a case of having it all repaired first?

Any recommendations for any garages (East Yorkshire preferred) that either do welding or would give an honest idea of how bad it is would be more welcome!

Richard
RichardB
RichardB

Male

Member Age : 53
Auto-Sleeper : Not at the moment...
Vehicle Year : n/a

Back to top Go down

Post by mikethebike Fri Oct 31, 2014 2:54 pm

Hi,
As regards rustproofing. It needs to be done properly.
There are many garages that do it. I expect 500/600 pound for a very good job.

Regards

Mike
mikethebike
mikethebike

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Symphony
Vehicle Year : 2000

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Oct 31, 2014 6:11 pm

Thanks all, food for thought.
I expect I will now hum and haw for a bit, then do nothing.
At least, that's what normally happens with big decisions. scratch head
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by RML Sat Nov 01, 2014 6:14 am

If you want a new van then buy one.. However, we spent the summer looking for a replacement but when comparing current vans there was always something that was not as good, for example - we have a 12v socket in the bathroom which we use for charging the phones because it's out of the way, most new vans don't have this.  Also some vans now don't have a window in the bathroom, again not essential but nice to have.... I could go on.  So on balance and taking into account all the work we've recently had done, tyres, cambelt and Gasit we've decided to keep it.
But...... we can't help looking....
Rich..
RML
RML

Male

Member Age : 64
Auto-Sleeper : Ex - Gatcombe
Vehicle Year : 2008

Back to top Go down

Post by Johno Sat Nov 01, 2014 12:35 pm

Hi Candapac

Compared to the cost, expense and stress involved in purchasing a new van spending £4K on your existing model which really suits you seems a bargain to me.

Speaking from personal experience one can buy a new motorhome and find out after using it a few times that it that it doesn't match your old van an expensive mistake which I still kick myself for, and I couldn't even put it down to the impetuousness of youth.

Cheers John up!
Johno
Johno
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 76
Auto-Sleeper : Eton
Vehicle Year : 2007

Back to top Go down

Post by mikethebike Sat Nov 01, 2014 1:10 pm

candapack wrote:Thanks all, food for thought.
I expect I will now hum and haw for a bit, then do nothing.
At least, that's what normally happens with big decisions. scratch head

Hi I would get the leak fixed if nothing else.
Its maybe the biggest worry for members and could cost you more by leaving.IMHO

Regards

Mike
mikethebike
mikethebike

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Symphony
Vehicle Year : 2000

Back to top Go down

Post by rocket launcher Wed Nov 05, 2014 9:46 pm

where was your leak
I had a problem with my inca  left hand side as you look forward left hand front corner of the left hand bed or left hand top of the outside boot locker
the local shop wanted £2400 to put it right, I did it my self with the help of an engineer who lives over the road

cause was actually mud trapped between the outer and inner skin took me 4 hours and £15 for sealant once I had dried out etc
the body shop would have taken my eyes out and come back for the sockets
rocket launcher
rocket launcher

Male

Auto-Sleeper : BROADWAY FIXED BED

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Nov 05, 2014 10:05 pm

rocket launcher wrote:where was your leak
I had a problem with my inca  left hand side as you look forward left hand front corner of the left hand bed or left hand top of the outside boot locker
the local shop wanted £2400 to put it right, I did it my self with the help of an engineer who lives over the road

cause was actually mud trapped between the outer and inner skin took me 4 hours and £15 for sealant once I had dried out etc
the body shop would have taken my eyes out and come back for the sockets

I had 2 leaks, both LHS. First was traced to the awning rail and fixed by a dealer quite cheaply. Actually, it didn't work first time round but the dealer had another go free of charge and all seems OK now.
The second I traced to the window and fixed myself - well, I think so, time will tell.

That's why I was tempted to take the van to Willersley and have the whole thing resealed. I am kind of expecting seals to start failing one by one as time goes by, and of course finding water ingress and then tracing where it's getting in can be difficult.
I'm still tempted. confused3

PS Willersley indicated about £1,600 to do the whole van, so how your local shop came up with £2,400 for a partial reseal is baffling.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by rocket launcher Wed Nov 05, 2014 10:24 pm

Its because they would have had to drop the left hand side fiberglass panels that stretches from the front to the back, I don't think they wanted to do it that is why they came out with such a price, I also noticed a couple of vans that have the fibreglass panels sealed at the rear of the front door when I was at the lakes recently mine had no sealer there , this was also the cause of mine the water was running down the front through this gap into the mud caked underneath, mine are now sealed and I have had no problem
love the van perfect size for me and the mrs and I have not seen anything to beat it mine is the EK which has a nice bubble to put all your gear, well built van
rocket launcher
rocket launcher

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by rocket launcher Thu Nov 06, 2014 9:31 pm

mine has the swivel seat fitted the answer is no you cannot use it as part of the bed  unless you get a different seat
the pull lever snags on the bottom of the seat so it does not swivel 360 degrees without  the lever
picture one shows the lever 

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

picture 2 were it snags on the bottom of seat

picture 3 the maximum the seat swivels due to the lever
rocket launcher
rocket launcher

Male

Back to top Go down