Has anyone hired out their AS?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Has anyone hired out their AS?

Post by MrsGrey on Sun Sep 21, 2014 9:09 pm

wave I've had my Duetto for more than three years and although I love it, I find I don't use it nearly enough. I prefer to go away with others and they are not always available! Also I get very busy with other things in the summer. I have used it mainly for festivals and it is of course costing me just to keep it. I'd prefer not to sell it because hiring one for festivals looks quite difficult and anyway I love it!. I feel bad about it sitting around unused -- doesn't seem right! so_sad So I've been wondering about hiring it out on a private basis. Does anyone have experience of doing this that they could share? In particular:

Insurance and legalities scratch head
How to advertise effectively and cheaply! scratch head
Has it worked for you? think_smiley_46
Any other thoughts...

Thanks!
MrsGrey
Donator
Donator

Female

Auto-Sleeper : Duetto

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Has anyone hired out their AS?

Post by -mojo- on Sun Sep 21, 2014 10:55 pm

I've never tried, but there have been a few threads on this in the past, here and on other forums.

As I understand it the two main issues are costs and damage. Insurance to hire is apparently prohibitively expensive for a single van, but there are big economies of scale - which is why hire companies have a fleet rather than one or two vans.

And then there is the undeniable fact that people tend to be careless with things that they hire. At best there will be a few broken curtain runners and a loose hinge or two, or it could be worse. This means that you can only take on back-to-back bookings with a significant risk - if the first hirer has broken something badly then you may not be able to get it fixed quickly enough for the second hirer to take. And of course there will be arguments about damage, where the hirer will insist that the damage was like it before they took it away...

It may be a way of keeping the van in more constant use and earning a few quid, but I wouldn't do it myself.
-mojo-

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Trooper

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by MrsGrey on Sun Sep 21, 2014 11:43 pm

Thanks, Mojo. I wasn't thinking of a lot of hiring and thanks I can see that back-to-back hires would be a bad idea. I have a neighbour who wants to hire it for Glastonbury next year and that gave me the idea.... This plainly needs thinking through. I did a quick search for threads here but nothing came up. Must try harder! uncertain
MrsGrey
Donator
Donator

Female

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue68 on Mon Sep 22, 2014 8:40 pm

There is a company that hires out private motorhomes. I used to get emails from them regularly but I can't remember their name. Maybe a google will find.

Sue68

Female

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by mike-eastman on Wed Sep 24, 2014 1:33 pm

Good Afternoon Mrs Grey,
I hired a previous coachbuilt I owned out to Carlton TV with me as driver, it was just for the principal actors to sit in between 'takes' on set, whilst on location, as a mobile 'greenroom', no problem. They paid a hire fee, plus fuel, plus my wages. I did it again for the BBC on 'Casualty', and the make-up girls spilt a small patch of 'theatrical blood' on to the sage green carpet, purely by accident of course, it trickled off the edge of the protective plastic sheet on the carpet. It was supposed to be 'water soluble' and easily cleaned off, but did not prove to be so. After a few attempts, the stain had more or less gone but you could still see where it had been, so I ended up re carpeting eventually.
So there is always a risk even when you are on site, but the decision is yours, I don't think I would be so keen now, with a newer van.
Mike.
mike-eastman

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Warwick

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum