Toilet blade stuck!

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Toilet blade stuck!

Post by Betty's Mum on Fri Aug 29, 2014 9:06 pm

Pretty certain this will have been discussed before so my apologies for asking again. I have not camped in Betty 
for a few months as I have only been able to do days out recently (family stuff y'know).  Now I am not able to open to blade so cannot use the loo.  It is a Thetford C3 model and I would really appreciate suggestions as to how I should start with this - should I start from the top or underneath?  TIA girl-thinking
Betty's Mum

Female

Auto-Sleeper : VW T4 Trophy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Toilet blade stuck!

Post by Paulmold on Fri Aug 29, 2014 9:12 pm

WD40 on the blade. Leave it a few minutes then gently work the blade back and forth.

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo ES

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Dutto on Fri Aug 29, 2014 9:26 pm

Paulmold wrote:WD40 on the blade. Leave it a few minutes then gently work the blade back and forth.
.... or olive oil .... or corn oil .... or any other vegetable oil.

(More likely to have than WD40 methinks!)

Best regards,
drinksallround

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Duetto

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Betty's Mum on Fri Aug 29, 2014 9:33 pm

Haha, Dutto ... maybe a slightly sexist comment?? Perhaps I will ask for some when I stop in the chip shop!!

Have tried silicon oil so far Paulmold - maybe I did not leave it long enough.  Will be more patient next time and report back.

Thank you both for your comments so far. x
Betty's Mum

Female

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Arek on Fri Aug 29, 2014 9:45 pm

Depends what sort of Thetford Toilet you have. On my Symphony, i thought the blade was stuck but it was the short metal pole that pushes and pulls  the blade across that had come detached from the plastic handle.......that may help! wave

Peter
Arek

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Talbot Symphony

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Dutto on Fri Aug 29, 2014 9:47 pm

Sexist?? scratch headscratch head

I used olive oil when I cooked some onions for this evening's dinner!! allthumbzallthumbz

I have some WD40 somewhere but it would take a good long search to find it. tap_fingerstap_fingers

Me a Sexist??  Never!!  My Mum made me the chauvinist pig I am today!! lol4lol4

Best regards,
drinksallround

Donator
Donator

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Betty's Mum on Fri Aug 29, 2014 10:05 pm

Arek wrote:Depends what sort of Thetford Toilet you have. On my Symphony, i thought the blade was stuck but it was the short metal pole that pushes and pulls  the blade across that had come detached from the plastic handle.......that may help! wave

Peter
Hmmm ... not sure about a handle - mine has a twisty thing that doubles as the pusher for the flush. Right technical is me  shrugg

And Dutto, your words will entertain me while I lose my temper with it tomorrow and do the man thing ... hit it with a feather duster  hugegrins
Betty's Mum

Female

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Dutto on Sat Aug 30, 2014 2:39 am

I hope you read this first though.

If it hasn't come free tomorrow and/or it doesn't open and close freely then:

o  Switch off the 12v supply.

o  MOP OUT ANYTHING THAT IS IN THE BOWL.

o  Go outside and slide the cassette out.

If the cassette doesn't come out as per normal it means that the blade is not fully closed.  Go back inside and close the slide.

When you have the cassette out you can go back inside and try to move the handle as if you are opening the slide.  If it is stiff then the problem isn't with the slide it's with the operator bit.  In which case it will need removing, cleaning and lubricating.  Let us know if this is the case and someone will give instructions on how to do it.  (I'm off to Scotland for the weekend; sorry.)

If the operator is okay then go and look at the cassette.  Pull back the main slide and see if you can open the slide by moving the opening mechanism with your fingers.  (It's the circular bit of kit with a raised straight bit on top.)

If it doesn't open using your fingers then try to gently push the slide itself down and to the right at the same time to assist the mechanism.

If this doesn't work then you can put a bit of cloth over the operating mechanism and apply a bit more pressure with a suitable spanner or pair of pliers BUT BE CAREFUL that:

a)  You are attempting to turn it in the right direction.  (Anti-clockwise I think it is.)

b)  You don't apply so much pressure that you break it.

If the slide still doesn't open then get back to us.

Hope this helps.allthumbz

Best regards,
drinksallround

Donator
Donator

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Betty's Mum on Sat Aug 30, 2014 3:01 pm

So far the only joy is that the operator moves freely ... blade still firmly shut and am not able to open it with the knob on top of the casette (either of the two i have tried). would I be correct in assuming it is the knob that 'dials' rather than the one with the spring underneath it which does not look like it would turn anyway? Am trying to post a pic but having difficulty!
Betty's Mum

Female

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold on Sat Aug 30, 2014 3:23 pm

Most unusual if you've used WD40 (it's thinner than olive oil etc and its the penetration oil properties that are needed to get between the rubber seal and the blade) and yes you are turning the correct knob on the cassette. Can you gently prise something thin under the seal to break the bond?

Donator
Donator

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by bertb on Sat Aug 30, 2014 3:45 pm

Paulmold wrote:Most unusual if you've used WD40 (it's thinner than olive oil etc and its the penetration oil properties that are needed to get between the rubber seal and the blade) and yes you are turning the correct knob on the cassette. Can you gently prise something thin under the seal to break the bond?
Like a pallet knife.(More stuff from the kitchen) Or, as it looks as though you will have to replace the seal why not take the seal out and see if you can move the blade then?
bertb

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Dorset

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Betty's Mum on Sat Aug 30, 2014 4:12 pm

Totaly gross but yay ... success allthumbz 

Kitchen implements ... the very idea ... great way to finally use (and then throw away!) one of those irritating loyalty cards you get spammed with hugegrins

Thank you all for your help, much appreciated and for your info, I found the ubiquitous can of WD40 in my knitting basket. Perhaps someone has a suggestion as to what on earth it was doing there  scratch head  confused3
Betty's Mum

Female

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold on Sat Aug 30, 2014 4:26 pm

Good work, now make sure you keep the seal/blade lubricated if not using for a while.

Donator
Donator

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Betty's Mum on Sat Aug 30, 2014 4:39 pm

Understood up! 
Tizzie x
Betty's Mum

Female

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Nain on Sat Aug 30, 2014 9:35 pm

WD40 in knitting basket - handy for slip stitch perhaps? winks

Last edited by Nain on Sat Aug 30, 2014 9:36 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : typo!)
Nain
Donator
Donator

Female

Auto-Sleeper : None

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Betty's Mum on Sun Aug 31, 2014 6:16 pm

Of course!  I thought it was to ease the chain  tap_fingers
Betty's Mum

Female

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Nain on Sun Aug 31, 2014 9:39 pm

hugegrins
Nain
Donator
Donator

Female

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by dandywarhol on Sun Aug 31, 2014 11:23 pm

Now clean off the WD40 and lube the rubber with olive oil  smile!

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Ex Clubman Anniversa

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Dutto on Mon Sep 01, 2014 4:44 pm

Hi there,

When my can of WD40 goes missing I would NEVER think of looking in MY sewing basket so good thinking there!!allthumbzallthumbz

(NOT a wind-up!  After many years at sea and living in a variety of construction camps I am the one that does any hand-sewing in this house!)

Glad the problem is resolved; and please don't forget to slap in the olive-oil to get rid of the WD40 that may perish the seal. up!

Best regards,
drinksallround

Donator
Donator

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold on Mon Sep 01, 2014 5:44 pm

Bit of a difference of opinion between WD40 and Thetford Toilets. WD40 claim it is perfectly safe on rubber and say it is petroleum based, I quote

''WD-40 can be used on just about everything. It is safe for metal, rubber, wood and plastic. WD-40 can be applied to painted metal surfaces without harming the paint. Polycarbonate and clear polystyrene plastic are among the few surfaces on which to avoid using a petroleum-based product like WD-40.

While the ingredients in WD-40 are secret, we can tell you what WD-40 does NOT contain. WD-40 does not contain silicone, kerosene, water, wax, graphite, chlorofluorocarbons (CFCs), or any known cancer-causing agents. ''

and Thetford state..(obviously wanting to sell their own lubricant)..

''Thetford Toilet Seal Lubricant and Conditioner is specially formulated to penetrate and coat seals for smooth, problem-free operation. Other benefits include:

##Helps prevent sticking
##Silicone-based formula is safe on toilets and holding tank seals (petroleum based lubricants cause swelling and degradation of rubber seals) ''

I know Ian will have the answer!

Donator
Donator

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by cyclo on Mon Sep 01, 2014 6:20 pm

I have never used WD40 on anything other than metal after a problem with a caravan 12v car to van connector.
The pins in the plastic casing became loose after the plug had been sprayed to eliminate damp. It was not an isolated
case I know other people who had the same experience. I use the Thetford lubricant on the toilet seal and on a caravan
waste outlet which has a rubber o ring. I know it appears to be expensive but it lasts a long time as it is only necessary
to use a small amount each time.
cyclo

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EK

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Nain on Mon Sep 01, 2014 6:49 pm

''WD-40 can be used on just about everything. It is safe for metal, rubber, wood and plastic. WD-40 can be applied to painted metal surfaces without harming the paint. Polycarbonate and clear polystyrene plastic are among the few surfaces on which to avoid using a petroleum-based product like WD-40.

Glad to read the above - a friend of ours rubs the stuff into his arthritic knee - swears it eases the pain.
Nain
Donator
Donator

Female

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Dutto on Mon Sep 01, 2014 9:19 pm

Hi there,

WD40 was so named because it as the 40th blend being developed as a Water Dispersant for NASA.

The fact that it does other things was a bonus!

This is the Material Safety Data Sheet for WD40.

http://wd40.com/files/pdf/msds-wd482671453.pdf

It is not terribly toxic as it is basically an aliphatic hydrocarbon (as opposed to an aromatic hydrocarbon such as benzene) however, the MSDS specifically advises against "prolonged skin contact".

Most hydrocarbons (aliphatic and aromatic) will penetrate "rubber" be it real rubber or a synthetic rubber such as neoprene.  Such penetration may take a long time to occur but it will generally have an adverse effect on the performance of the "rubber".

More seriously, when I got into the oil and gas business back in 1967 my sister (a District Nurse at the time) sent me a very graphic set of photographs that showed various forms of scrotal cancer.

Why?  Well, most of the victims had been exposed to mineral oils of the kind that I was currently handling.tap_fingers

Since opening that envelope I have always washed my hands BEFORE I went to the toilet and I have always made sure that my underpants (if not my overalls) were kept free from oil. up!

Best regards,
drinksallround

Donator
Donator

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by dandywarhol on Mon Sep 01, 2014 11:25 pm

I'm glad you don't post many photos Ian......................................  Whistle1

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Ex Clubman Anniversa

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Dutto on Tue Sep 02, 2014 1:52 am

dandywarhol wrote:I'm glad you don't post many photos Ian......................................  Whistle1

Some times all you need are words!!

Here's a good example.

The Octel man was lecturing us new recruits on the characteristics and safe handling of the Tetramethyl Lead (TML) and Tetraethyl Lead (TEL) which we would be using in gasoline blending.

His exact words were "If you get poisoned with this stuff you have bad dreams, go mad and die!"

There was a really quiet moment in the lecture room as we digested this bit of information.  Then I asked the question that everyone wanted to ask,  "What is the cure?" I asked.

He glared at me.  "You weren't listening were you lad." and before I could protest, "I've just told you.  If you get poisoned with this stuff you have bad dreams go mad and die!"

So, put in my place, I went on to unload dozens of tanks of this stuff; and never saw a drop of it.  It was coloured a bright orange and the closest I came to seeing any of it was that just occasionally I would detect a bit of discolouring on the gloves I wore.

Full of confidence, I (like the rest of the lads) stopped wearing ALL of the safety gear and instead of stripping off naked and putting on white underpants, white "T" shirt, white pullover, white socks, white wellingtons, white neoprene suit, white neoprene hood, white neoprene gloves and wearing a white respirator I kept my own "T" shirt, underpants and socks on.  It was easier!

This carried on until the day I unloaded a tank of TML just before going home from the morning shift.  I walked in through the door at home, sat down at the dinner table and ate my dinner before moving into the living room to sit down and watch TV.

I sat down in my favourite easy chair, leaned back and pulled down my "T" shirt to discover a huge orange splash in the middle of my chest!  The bad dreams started immediately and I didn't even get to go to sleep!

I looked at this huge orange stain in absolute horror and thought of how long it must have been there.  It had been there whilst I drove home, whilst I had my lunch, whilst my little daughter had been climbing all over me having decided to stop eating her beans-on-toast ....... and .....  and ..... !!!

I started to breathe again when I realised that the orange stain on my chest wasn't TML but was actually the baked-beans juice that my daughter had transferred from her plate to me!!

After that little event I started to wear ALL of the safety gear whenever I off-loaded TML/TEL; my change of heart was just in time and I was fully protected when the transfer system malfunctioned and I saw enough TML to last me a lifetime!

Off to bed, hopefully to not have bad dreams, OR go mad OR die!! allthumbz

Best regards,
drinksallround

Donator
Donator

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum: