The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Android Tablet wifi booster 12v powered

4 posters

Go down

Android Tablet wifi booster 12v powered  Empty Android Tablet wifi booster 12v powered

Post by frederic Mon 18 Aug 2014 - 17:21

Any ideas how increase the availability when in the semi wilds??
frederic
frederic
frederic
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 77
Auto-Sleeper : Topaz TipT
Vehicle Year : 2008

Back to top Go down

Android Tablet wifi booster 12v powered  Empty Re: Android Tablet wifi booster 12v powered

Post by SteveUK Mon 18 Aug 2014 - 18:05

Hi frederic,

I reckon you would be hard pushed to better this for a wi-fi booster. . . .

http://www.motorhomewifi.com/product/iboost-d8-directional-system/

But it isn't cheap and whether it's right for you would depend on so many variables.

Are you looking at use just in the UK, or Europe or further afield?

What level of usage are you anticipating?  Just emails and a bit of browsing, or more heavy traffic?

With the up-and-coming tightening up by the regulator on mobile service providers charging a fortune, it may be that a mobile data SIM card or a mi-fi unit (if you need more than one device on-line) could fill your need.

Steve
SteveUK
SteveUK
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 67
Auto-Sleeper : Clubman GL
Vehicle Year : 2001

Back to top Go down

Android Tablet wifi booster 12v powered  Empty Re: Android Tablet wifi booster 12v powered

Post by meanchris Mon 18 Aug 2014 - 19:29

I find a MiFi very effective - cheap to top up with "3" PAYG data, serves 5 devices via its wifi router and you can hoist it up a pole to get a better signal as the router signal is pretty good, while continuing to use the tablet in comfort.
Some of them, the Huawei e5332 for example, have an external aerial socket which makes them even more effective.

Improving the wifi signal from a campsite, (rather than your own 3G source) is rather more difficult and expensive with a tablet, unless you can use a USB repeater and wifi aerial, you're stuck with expensive options like the iBoost that Steve suggests.
meanchris

Male

Member Age : 69
Auto-Sleeper : None
Vehicle Year : N/A

Back to top Go down

Post by frederic Mon 18 Aug 2014 - 20:02

My Steve that is a beast, almost as much as the tablet!!
What I want to do is boost the range of my tablet sim.
With the netbook I could fit the dongle to extension lead and hang it up on the Hekki to increase its range a bit like an external aerial.
I shall check out meanchris's idea also.
frederic
frederic
frederic
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by SteveUK Mon 18 Aug 2014 - 20:35

Hi frederic,

I use both myself.  The mi-fi is probably the easiest (if it's unlocked you should be able to use the SIM card from your tablet) and as already suggested, hang it up high if necessary to get a good signal.

The iBoost is a great tool but obviously you have to be in range of a wifi signal, albeit you can be quite a distance due to the antenna's high gain/directivity.

Steve
SteveUK
SteveUK
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 67
Auto-Sleeper : Clubman GL
Vehicle Year : 2001

Back to top Go down

Post by meanchris Mon 18 Aug 2014 - 22:05

I found this on eBay, it boosts any distant WiFi signal so similar to Steve's suggestion but cheaper, as far as I can tell.

The problem being that your tablet has to be able to use an external WiFi adapter like a laptop can.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Signal-King-20DBI-Outdoor-USB-Wireless-Adaptor-IEEE802-11b-g-n-Wifi-150Mbps-UK-/181092380416?tfrom=181188875190&tpos=top&ttype=price&talgo=undefined

If you want to improve your 3G signal to a SIM card, then the MiFi is IMHO the best option, as it can either be placed high up to get better reception as a Huawei e5331:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Huawei-E5331-Speed-21-1Mbps-Unlocked-Black/dp/B00ARFVTKS

or (with the e5332) accept an external aerial which can be attached to a portable mast - even a fishing pole if necessary.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Huawei-E5332-Unlocked-Mobile-Wi-Fi/dp/B00ABFTCMQ/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1408395776&sr=1-1&keywords=huawei+e5332

External aerial:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/External-antenna-Huawei-E5776-MF821D/dp/B004EXPIKG/ref=sr_1_7?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1408395686&sr=1-7&keywords=huawei+e5786

EDIT: or a truly high gain directional aerial that will get the best out of a weak 3G signal and plug into a Huawei e5332

http://www.amazon.co.uk/A1techstore-Waterproof-Outdoor-Broadband-External/dp/B00L39W9GU/ref=sr_1_8?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1408395998&sr=1-8&keywords=ts9+antenna

Height is king with radio reception winks
meanchris

Male

Member Age : 69
Auto-Sleeper : None
Vehicle Year : N/A

Back to top Go down

Post by roli Mon 18 Aug 2014 - 22:28

I use the 3 MiFi with few problems Rick. 
Did a signal check with an old 3 sim card in a phone for around 12 months on the usual rally venues and up North in Scotland, N Wales etc before buying. 
I have had it a couple of years now and you know at least two others who bought this set up as a result of the performance of mine.
I use mine  on a Nexus 7 now, others I have seen on the Tesco branded Tablet, Asus Netbooks, IPads  (i thought they had their own sim, again its a chap you know) and a Dell Laptop
roli
roli

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Warwick Duo
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by frederic Tue 19 Aug 2014 - 7:22

Hi Roger
Yes I remembed that our friend next to us at Aird Donald had a 3 mifi system will look into it, many thanks
Ricky

Also thanks for good info meanchris
frederic
frederic
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down