The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Taking dogs on cycling trips

+3
boxerman
BobK
pablo
7 posters

Go down

Taking dogs on cycling trips Empty Taking dogs on cycling trips

Post by pablo Fri Aug 15, 2014 11:25 am

We plan to take our Border Terrier away with us as usual but would also like to take our bikes for the first time and don't want to leave him in the van.

What's best - dog trailer attached to the bike so we tow him along , or try to get "Alfie" on the bike in a container on the back or even front mounted rack?
Or any other ideas?

All advice from you who have "been there, done that" much appreciated thank you!
pablo
pablo

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo

Back to top Go down

Taking dogs on cycling trips Empty Re: Taking dogs on cycling trips

Post by BobK Fri Aug 15, 2014 9:07 pm

Not long back from Netherlands where they carry almost anything from children (multiple) poultry, animals etc ./ on their bikes.    Don't know "Alfie" personally but I'm sure he would prefer a front mounted basket with a view.    Don't think the towing idea is a good one.   up!
BobK
BobK

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Autosleepless!!

Back to top Go down

Post by boxerman Fri Aug 15, 2014 10:07 pm

Can it not walk?

Frank
boxerman
boxerman
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 76
Auto-Sleeper : '95 Symphony
Vehicle Year : 1995

Back to top Go down

Post by Dutto Fri Aug 15, 2014 11:10 pm

boxerman wrote:Can it not walk?

Frank
Frank,

I love dogs and I love to see a fit dog but I hate seeing a dog running alongside a bike for a number of reasons.

1.  The dog isn''t under control and therefore it is a danger to itself, its owner and anyone else who passes by, especially cyclists!

2.  Yes a dog can run, and run; but their paws aren't geared to run on rough tracks or tarmac roads and apart from Dalmatians most dogs aren't bred for running long distances.

I agree that in Holland they carry anything and everything on their bikes in a wide variety of bewilderingly designed baskets.

It is an ideal solution, but ONLY if the dog is trained and amiable to sitting in a basket for prolonged periods of time AND the rider has also practised with the dog in the basket before taking it on to a public road.

One of these may also be suitable (I have one that I use for shopping and taking stuff to the local tip):

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

I think that something similar would be suitable for a dog, the problem being that even when folded down it will take up a fair bit of space in the van.

Hope this helps. allthumbz 

Best regards,
 drinksallround

PS

Up in Scotland we used to cycle into the mountains before beginning the major mountain walks.

One time, a fellow guide locked up two bikes (his own and the Client's) about five miles from the road and then lost the key.

I went in the next day with a spare key to recover both bikes and just as I was leaving the house SWMBO suggested that I take both of our dogs with me and foolishly I agreed.

Two dogs, two bikes, two extending leads and a five mile walk along a rough track.  (We were in stalking season so I didn't like to let the dogs off their leads.)

I wrapped the leads around the handlebars of the bike I was about to ride, climbed onboard, gripped the handlebars of the other bike, started pedalling and shouted "Get on." to the dogs.  Brilliant!!  Like a couple of trained huskies they put their backs into the task and within twenty yards I was up to 10 miles an hour and having to apply the brakes to slow them down.

This carried on for a full mile without any problem and both the dogs (two English Springer Spaniels) and myself were enjoying ourselves.

I saw the rabbit start up from the side of the track about one second before the dogs noticed its little white tail bound across in front of the their noses!  tap_fingers  tap_fingers 

One second later I was still attached to the two bikes, but now being dragged through the heather on my side in a tangle of metal and extending leads!!

To add insult to injury, when the dogs realised that they weren't going to catch the rabbit, they looked behind them and here was Dad apparently laying down in the heather with his two bikes and ready to play with them.  Rabbit forgotten, they returned and mugged me with delight!!  tap_fingers  tap_fingers 

It took about fifteen minutes to sort out the tangle of bikes, leads, dogs and me so that I could carry on and WALK ("limp" is a better word) the rest of the way back to the mini-bus!!!

Happy Days!! allthumbz  allthumbz

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Duetto

Back to top Go down

Post by jt2011 Sat Aug 16, 2014 7:09 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

you could always train the dog to ride the bike!  hugegrins
jt2011
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 49
Auto-Sleeper : trooper
Vehicle Year : 1992

Back to top Go down

Post by pablo Sat Aug 16, 2014 8:34 pm

allthumbz yes! Genius! With a dog that size I could attach a trailer to the bike and he could tow me and SWMBO!
Unfortunately a Border Terrier is a tad smaller and would probably have something to say about it!  Nice idea though!
pablo
pablo

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by ginner38 Mon Aug 18, 2014 9:50 pm

i use one of these for my patterdale terrier  [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
cheers Dave

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 61
Auto-Sleeper : executive 2000

Back to top Go down

Post by johnnybee Thu Aug 21, 2014 7:32 am

hey, you should try this: http://www.buddyrider.co/purchase.html

its a lot better for the dog as they dont have to sit in a basket that moves when you turn the handle bar and they also feel closer to you.

its better for you as you have no weight on the handlebars as you ride, giving you full control.

The down side is that its quite expensive, but worth I feel its worth it.

Male

Member Age : 42
Auto-Sleeper : VW trooper

Back to top Go down

Post by Dutto Thu Aug 21, 2014 9:11 am

Hi there,

Looks the business!  allthumbz 

Have re-done the link because the one above didn't work.  Here's hoping.  champagne 

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

drinksallround

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Duetto

Back to top Go down

Post by pablo Thu Aug 21, 2014 8:02 pm

Thanks for all your replies . Trailer would work but be a pain to drag behind and store etc, the basket on the front would be unwieldly as our Terrier is a tad big\heavy, unless I got a butchers bike with front carrier but they weigh a ton and bit OTT as a solution. For a 20 mile bike ride with some downhills walking is not really an option so the Buddyrider, yes pricey, looks to be the best option.......the dog bolxxxxs you could say! Problem is they are sold out and awaiting stock so must be good!
pablo
pablo

Male

Back to top Go down