The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Electric Bikes again

+10
JessTravels
Bad Penny
m8form8
sidecutter
andyiow
nevergiveup
dencol
Paulmold
DuxDeluxe
Molly Motorhome
14 posters

Go down

Electric Bikes again Empty Electric Bikes again

Post by Molly Motorhome Tue Aug 12, 2014 1:18 pm

I found a post about electric bikes but the posts are all about two years old now and I'm hoping members may have more recent experience of electric bikes. I've already decided to have one so I'm not looking for any recommendations as to whether I should or not, just which one(s) I should consider.
There are so many on the market I really don't know what to chose so if anyone can recommend one that's currently available I would appreciate it.
Molly Motorhome
Molly Motorhome

Male

Member Age : 61
Auto-Sleeper : Buford
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Electric Bikes again Empty Re: Electric Bikes again

Post by DuxDeluxe Tue Aug 12, 2014 4:30 pm

Try A/S bikes - they have a good reputation both for the bike and for the customer service. I have one and well pleased with it. They are folding so will either go on the bike rack or in a small MH Garage or even in a bag inside.

http://www.folding-bikes.net/asbikes/

DuxDeluxe
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 69
Auto-Sleeper : Ex Broadway Crown

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Tue Aug 12, 2014 4:36 pm

I would also recommend AS Bikes. I don't have one but my cousin has two and well pleased. I've tried them and was well impressed but the best bit is the service you get. They attend all the major shows so will be at Malvern, Newark and Lincoln Shows this month and next month.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Post by dencol Fri Aug 15, 2014 7:06 pm

Not recommending any particular bike but depending on how you are transporting, watch the weight.  Mine is too heavy to carry on the door based cycle rack and would need a towbar carrier designed for electric bikes as most standard carriers are not designed for the weight.
Regards
dencol
dencol

Male

Member Age : 70
Auto-Sleeper : Dorset

Back to top Go down

Post by nevergiveup Fri Aug 15, 2014 7:42 pm

These are the model that we recently purchased. They weigh 20Kgs each (without battery and saddle which we remove when on bike rack) . We liked this particular type because it has three power levels( equating to 8, 12, and 15MPH) by way of pedal assist, ie pedal before power assists so exercise is still part of the cycling.
The bike does have a direct throttle( right handlebar) just like a scooter etc. This powers you from a standstill up to 8, 12 or 15MPH depending on power setting.
Early days yet but so far we think they are great

David                                  http://www.proridermobility.com/detail.asp?productID=334

PS Our Fiamma Pro C bike rack rated at 60Kgs so OK for both our bikes.
nevergiveup
nevergiveup

Male

Member Age : 87
Auto-Sleeper : SYMBOL
Vehicle Year : 2002

Back to top Go down

Post by Molly Motorhome Mon Aug 18, 2014 9:01 am

Thanks for the recommendation. I hadn't looked at folding bikes at all so I'll have a look at these at the next show.
Molly Motorhome
Molly Motorhome

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Molly Motorhome Mon Aug 18, 2014 9:04 am

Thanks too for the Pro-rider link. Certainly worth a look.
The weight issue shouldn't be a problem - we have a towball mounted rack - but I will be checking the weight as Dencol suggests.
Molly Motorhome
Molly Motorhome

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by andyiow Mon Aug 18, 2014 5:04 pm

Molly Motorhome wrote:I found a post about electric bikes but the posts are all about two years old now and I'm hoping members may have more recent experience of electric bikes. I've already decided to have one so I'm not looking for any recommendations as to whether I should or not, just which one(s) I should consider.
There are so many on the market I really don't know what to chose so if anyone can recommend one that's currently available I would appreciate it.
Have a look at the Kalkhoff. Lots of different models some with 100km range. A google search will give you lots of results

Andy
andyiow
andyiow

Male

Member Age : 70
Auto-Sleeper : Kingham
Vehicle Year : 2019

Back to top Go down

Post by DuxDeluxe Mon Aug 18, 2014 5:15 pm

Was very impressed with the Kalkhoff one that someone had at Malvern - it looked to be a real quality bit of kit

DuxDeluxe
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Ex Broadway Crown

Back to top Go down

Electric Bikes again Empty Electric bike

Post by sidecutter Sun Jan 22, 2017 6:21 pm

Molly Motorhome wrote:I found a post about electric bikes but the posts are all about two years old now and I'm hoping members may have more recent experience of electric bikes. I've already decided to have one so I'm not looking for any recommendations as to whether I should or not, just which one(s) I should consider.
Hi have a look at the Viking E-GO electric folding bike the one with rear suspension, fairly light for an electric bike and the suspension is a great help with our roads had mine for two years  and love it. My other half has a Coyote folding bike Halfords £500 we paid £400 off E-bay and she likes it because it has a rack. Happy bike hunting regard sidecutter.
sidecutter
sidecutter

Male

Auto-Sleeper : broardway EL duo
Vehicle Year : 2014

Back to top Go down

Post by m8form8 Sun Jan 22, 2017 8:45 pm

I have a Viking electric folding bike, its great although I do find the fixed handlebars a trifle low but then I'm a tall ish sort of guy. Goes well and the charge range is fab so far. Got mine at the Range on special offer £399.00. Lent it to a neighbour who has a £2000 quid electric bike when he needed one, his got a puncture. When he returned it he said it was better than his.  hugegrins hugegrins hugegrins Bit weighty but fine in our garage.
m8form8
m8form8

Male

Member Age : 65
Auto-Sleeper : None
Vehicle Year : Vehicle

Back to top Go down

Post by Bad Penny Mon Jan 23, 2017 2:53 pm

We have two full size ebikes and have carried them on a fiamma bike rack with batteries off, the rack was rated at 60kg, the bikes weighed approx 23kg each, so well within it's tolerance.

The problem we had was lifting them on and off the rack, ok if you have young
 muscle.allthumbz

We now have them stored in a garage in our latest MH, much easier.
Depending on how much cycling you do, also look at the folding type.

Good luck
Leighton.
Bad Penny
Bad Penny
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 78
Auto-Sleeper : Ex Broadway owner
Vehicle Year : 2014 mod

Back to top Go down

Post by JessTravels Wed Feb 22, 2017 11:52 pm

Do take a look at eBay before you buy, I found a bargain on there and ended up passing it on to my sister when I no longer needed it. She loves it!
JessTravels
JessTravels

Female

Member Age : 42
Auto-Sleeper : None
Vehicle Year : Vehicle

Back to top Go down

Post by Quilter Fri Feb 24, 2017 7:07 am

Not sure whether your profile is still on default male or whether- Molly motorhome indicates you are a woman. However, before you buy or set your mind on one, check you can actually get on it.

I have a step through version ( Wisper 860) . I found, with many electric bikes that I tried, that I could not get my leg over the crossbar !  I' m quite fit and healthy and supple but, talking to several other women, found this was not uncommon with many models. 

I would strongly  advise trying before y ou buy. A good bike shop should let you ride up and down, at least in their yard, preferably in the street.
Quilter
Quilter
Donator
Donator

Female

Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EK TB LP

Back to top Go down

Post by rogersrimini Thu Apr 27, 2017 8:01 am

I too am thinking about an E-bike.

A question: Is it feasible to maintain the charge on one of these without and electric hook up?
Perhaps by use of a second leisure battery, votage inverter or DC regulator, and a solar panel?

Thanks,
Jon
rogersrimini
rogersrimini

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo
Vehicle Year : 2017

Back to top Go down

Post by Gromit Thu Apr 27, 2017 8:41 am

rogersrimini wrote:I too am thinking about an E-bike.

A question: Is it feasible to maintain the charge on one of these without and electric hook up?
Perhaps by use of a second leisure battery, votage inverter or DC regulator, and a solar panel?

Thanks,
Jon

Watch this space. winks

https://www.autosleeper-ownersforum.com/t20982-charging-electric-bike-batteries-off-ehu#177562
Gromit
Gromit
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 80
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo EK LP
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Post by rogersrimini Thu Apr 27, 2017 8:54 am

Thanks Dave
rogersrimini
rogersrimini

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo
Vehicle Year : 2017

Back to top Go down

Post by sidecutter Thu Apr 27, 2017 10:19 am

Gromit wrote:
rogersrimini wrote:I too am thinking about an E-bike.

Thanks,
Jon

Watch this space. winks

https://www.autosleeper-ownersforum.com/t20982-charging-electric-bike-batteries-off-ehu#177562
Anything is possible but at what expense inverters are not cheap, and neither are solar panels, you can get 25-30 miles if you use the peddle assist on the uphill jaunts and use as a normal bike at other times. We go to York and we are 2miles out of York and our batteries will last a week. Good luck and happy camping.sidecutter
sidecutter
sidecutter

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Apr 27, 2017 7:46 pm

Worth a check that the ebike you are thinking of buying meets current regulations, if not you may not be able to insure them against theft or, although I'm not sure, be able to ride them in some EU counties, if they have a throttle, which means classed as a moped, but I am sure someone on the forum will know
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Electric Bikes again Empty the law & e-bikes

Post by sidecutter Thu Apr 27, 2017 8:16 pm

Redwink wrote:Worth a check that the ebike you are thinking of buying meets current regulations, if not you may not be able to insure them against theft or, although I'm not sure, be able to ride them in some EU counties, if they have a throttle, which means classed as a moped, but I am sure someone on the forum will know
Google UK Electric Bike Law | E-bike Legislation-Pedelecs UK it explains every thing you need to know.
sidecutter
sidecutter

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by bill.teager Tue May 02, 2017 6:53 pm

bicycles 4u. do ebikes foldup starting at 17.5kgs I have 2 very happy with them.
bill
bill.teager
bill.teager

Female

Member Age : 74
Auto-Sleeper : v.w gatcome
Vehicle Year : 2002

Back to top Go down