The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mercedes based central locking problem

+7
plato2012
inspiredron
stoneb
Peter Brown
Liam
Claytaa
padraigpost
11 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

Mercedes based central locking problem  - Page 3 Empty Re: Mercedes based central locking problem

Post by Shuggiegreen Fri Sep 12, 2014 7:01 pm

I was quoted £65,000 for a new A/S Mercedes Bourton now for me a pensioner that is a huge amount of money I would for that money expect a perfect product from Mercedes and Auto sleeper.Now you may say as they are man made you have to expect teething problems the very attitude that killed the British car Industry and allowed the Japanese to provide us with  much better products.I read on this forum the problems encountered by owners of new motor homes I have decided I will keep my reliable old girl and when anything is needed to keep her on the road the money I have saved by not purchasing the Bourton will be there to pay for her up keep in my opinion Auto Sleeper are over priceing there vehicles.
Shuggiegreen
Shuggiegreen

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper : Clubman GL
Vehicle Year : 1997

Back to top Go down

Mercedes based central locking problem  - Page 3 Empty Re: Mercedes based central locking problem

Post by stoneb Tue Sep 16, 2014 8:39 pm

Hooray! Winnie's central locking works properly again now, due to having the SAM unit replaced today. It's been eight long weeks since I first visited City West Mercedes about it, when Winnie was just four weeks old. What a difference this has made already.

There are a couple of added features now, too:- 

When the key fob unlocks the central locking, the indicators flash once and (1) the step under the habitation door unfolds from the chassis, (2) the awning light comes on for about 30 seconds. 

If I haven't opened a cab door, after 40 seconds the  central locking activates without flashing the indicators.

When I relock the doors with the key fob, the indicators flash three times and (1) the step under the habitation door refolds itself under the chassis, (2) the awning light comes on for about 30 seconds.

My immediate reaction is that this is an awful lot of over-use of the step and awning light. However, I'll use it as it is for a while, but check within Sargent's website information ref the electronic control unit fitted over the habitation door. It has settings relevant to the step and awning light automation. I'll see if I can change the set-up as it stands to suit my preferences, ie leave the step and awning light unused by the central locking.

Regards, Barry.
stoneb
stoneb

Male

Member Age : 74
Auto-Sleeper : Winchcombe
Vehicle Year : 2014

Back to top Go down

Post by padraigpost Wed Sep 17, 2014 8:25 am

His Barry,
         Glad to hear you have had the SAM unit fitted, I get my wiring patch on Friday and then I will ring Brynn to book in for the SAM unit to be fitted
Don
padraigpost
padraigpost

Male

Member Age : 79
Auto-Sleeper : Mercedes Bourton

Back to top Go down

Post by stoneb Wed Sep 17, 2014 6:58 pm

Hi Don, Padraigpost,

Good to hear from you again. I wish you well with the rewiring on Friday, but I would suggest that you contact Brynn of City West Mercedes (CWM) immediately to arrange the fitting of your Bourton's new SAM box.

It all seemed to take CWM ages to get organised (eight weeks from my initial contact with them!), and I'll bet they didn't order two replacements to suit us both when they ordered mine! Also CWM had Winnie from 07.30 to 15.30 to fit the SAM (they had originally said about five hours.) Brynn kindly drove me home in-between, using his vehicle but I had to get someone to take me back to the garage when it was all done.

I am however, very happy to say to all readers that the return to normality is VERY welcome.
stoneb
stoneb

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Jaytee Mon Sep 22, 2014 11:31 pm

Just back from Willersey and patch done. Asked Mark if he could do a couple of other jobs while there and he managed to fit them in.
Top team they are  allthumbz

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 75
Vehicle Year : 2013

Back to top Go down

Post by inspiredron Mon Sep 22, 2014 11:46 pm

stoneb wrote:Hooray! Winnie's central locking works properly again now, due to having the SAM unit replaced today. It's been eight long weeks since I first visited City West Mercedes about it, when Winnie was just four weeks old. What a difference this has made already.

There are a couple of added features now, too:- 

When the key fob unlocks the central locking, the indicators flash once and (1) the step under the habitation door unfolds from the chassis, (2) the awning light comes on for about 30 seconds. 

If I haven't opened a cab door, after 40 seconds the  central locking activates without flashing the indicators.

When I relock the doors with the key fob, the indicators flash three times and (1) the step under the habitation door refolds itself under the chassis, (2) the awning light comes on for about 30 seconds.

My immediate reaction is that this is an awful lot of over-use of the step and awning light. However, I'll use it as it is for a while, but check within Sargent's website information ref the electronic control unit fitted over the habitation door. It has settings relevant to the step and awning light automation. I'll see if I can change the set-up as it stands to suit my preferences, ie leave the step and awning light unused by the central locking.

Regards, Barry.
I don't know whether the Mercs use the same interface box as is fitted behind the driver's seat on modern Pugs but, if so, the step snd awning light are controlled by jumpers in the EM50 interface unit. There are 3 jumpers, one for step up, one for step down and one for awning light on. There is also a modification published that removes the "Step up" jumper for safety reasons - in case the van is locked with someone on the step!  scratch head
See this link 
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
For details.

Male

Member Age : 82
Auto-Sleeper : Lancashire
Vehicle Year : 2012

Back to top Go down

Post by Jaytee Tue Sep 23, 2014 8:50 am

Yes, ours is all controlled through the Sargent panel. We don't have ours set on auto other than retract if driving away.

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by padraigpost Tue Sep 30, 2014 3:18 pm

Just had new SAM unit fitted and all working ok now but fitter had to download a fix to a problem from Germany, after fitting the SAM unit both side and head lights were on all the time, on looking the fitter said I had the new cab but the old dashboard without steering wheel controls which can alter settings for lights etc, after connecting the STAR computer to the van and the factory in Germany the problem was soon solved but with the new dash it would have been much easier, has anyone got a Merc with the new cab that is fitted with steering wheel controls or have A/S down specified the cab to reduce costs?
Don
padraigpost
padraigpost

Male

Member Age : 79
Auto-Sleeper : Mercedes Bourton

Back to top Go down

Post by Jaytee Tue Sep 30, 2014 3:39 pm

Ours is the 'cheap version'. As you say probably cost saving. Mind you I am happy to keep it simple, less to go wrong allthumbz

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Claytaa Tue Sep 30, 2014 4:25 pm

I asked about the new steering wheel controls for the 2015 model Bourton and was told NO, so looks like AS have down specced the cab interiors for obvious cost reasons.
Claytaa
Claytaa

Male

Member Age : 71
Auto-Sleeper : Bourton

Back to top Go down

Post by stoneb Sun Oct 05, 2014 9:49 pm

Refering back to my 17 Sept posting, I am very happy to confirm that, now repairs have been done, Winnie's central locking continues to function as perfectly as hoped. One press of the bottom key button unlocks all doors simultaneously. One press of the other (top) locks all doors simultaneously also. It was well worth the hassel we went through to have this excellent feature working properly.

Like others writing herein, I am curious as to why A/S Mercs are fitted with steering wheels without extra buttons. Winnie is built this way also. But is this not an indicator that requires a seperate topic start-up? I'm sure it would certainly raise lively debate.

Regards, Barry.
stoneb
stoneb

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete Taylor Tue Oct 14, 2014 3:16 pm

stoneb wrote:
Like others writing herein, I am curious as to why A/S Mercs are fitted with steering wheels without extra buttons. Winnie is built this way also. But is this not an indicator that requires a seperate topic start-up? I'm sure it would certainly raise lively debate.

Regards, Barry.
Here is a thread starter!

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Cheers,
Pete.
Pete Taylor
Pete Taylor
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper : Stanton.