Is it cos I's old?

Go down

Is it cos I's old?

Post by pablo on Wed Jul 16, 2014 8:38 pm

It happened yet again today! I go into a shop and start looking around and a couple of minutes later a spotty youth or similar springs out of nowhere and a voice from behind or the far end of the shop says:

 "Are you alright there?" 

Is voice talking to me? Have I turned blue? Do I look shakey on my pins? Am I foaming at the mouth or sweating profusely? Is there blood seeping from my nostrils or are my eyeballs swivelling looney style?

Nope none of those to my knowledge I am just a normal elderly customer browsing. 

Ah! I see! Spotty youth, avoiding eye contact, unsmiling, is not enquiring after my health after all, what they are trying to say is:

"  Good Morning , is there anything you are looking for in particular "  (adding the optional "Sir" can work wonders when it comes to making a sale) 

Or " Hello, please let me know if you would like any information or if I can be of any help".

Is it cos I's old?
avatar
pablo
Member
Member

Male

Posts : 223
Joined : 2014-04-23
Member Age : 66
Location : Devon
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Is it cos I's old?

Post by Bertie Bassett on Thu Jul 17, 2014 12:57 am

pablo wrote:It happened yet again today! I go into a shop and start looking around and a couple of minutes later a spotty youth or similar springs out of nowhere and a voice from behind or the far end of the shop says:

 "Are you alright there?" 

Is voice talking to me? Have I turned blue? Do I look shakey on my pins? Am I foaming at the mouth or sweating profusely? Is there blood seeping from my nostrils or are my eyeballs swivelling looney style?

Nope none of those to my knowledge I am just a normal elderly customer browsing. 

Ah! I see! Spotty youth, avoiding eye contact, unsmiling, is not enquiring after my health after all, what they are trying to say is:

"  Good Morning , is there anything you are looking for in particular "  (adding the optional "Sir" can work wonders when it comes to making a sale) 

Or " Hello, please let me know if you would like any information or if I can be of any help".

Is it cos I's old?



No Pablo it isn't because you are old it's because this is what passes for 'customer service' in twenty first century Britain.
avatar
Bertie Bassett
Member
Member

Male

Posts : 130
Joined : 2014-07-11
Member Age : 69
Location : Wales
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway
Vehicle Year : 2015

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Is it cos I's old?

Post by mikejack on Thu Jul 17, 2014 6:37 am

Lol I find maplin or halfords the worse for this they seem to have lots of staff and no sooner you have told one you are OK just looking another one appears from behind something to ask the same question again. But then when you get to the till there's no one on it so you have to wait.

Mike
avatar
mikejack
Member
Member

Male

Posts : 316
Joined : 2012-07-02
Member Age : 47
Location : Skelmersdale Lancashire
Auto-Sleeper : medallion
Vehicle Year : 1998

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Is it cos I's old?

Post by roli on Thu Jul 17, 2014 7:04 am

Your lucky Mike to find someone in Maplins to either tell you they havnt got it in stock or take your money off you  -  thats the exercise in our local one.   
Must admit Halfords are a couple of steps up the ladder here

_________________
Roger
avatar
roli
Moderator
Moderator

Male

Posts : 7805
Joined : 2011-03-04
Member Age : 73
Location : Warrington
Auto-Sleeper : Warwick Duo
Vehicle Year : 2016

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Is it cos I's old?

Post by boxerman on Thu Jul 17, 2014 8:08 am

Perhaps you would prefer the shop assistants to ignore you completely while they chat amongst themselves/ fiddle with their phones etc..?

"Are you alright there?" would be perfectly acceptable to me, I don't expect to be treated like royalty when I go into a shop, being treated as an equal is good enough. (the "Sir" is optional - I was never knighted so I don't get upset if they omit it)

Frank


Last edited by boxerman on Thu Jul 17, 2014 8:09 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : zpelink korektion)
avatar
boxerman
Donator
Donator

Male

Posts : 4356
Joined : 2011-08-21
Member Age : 71
Location : Preston Lancs
Auto-Sleeper : '95 Symphony
Vehicle Year : 1995

View user profile http://www.rtmr.org

Back to top Go down

Re: Is it cos I's old?

Post by Dutto on Thu Jul 17, 2014 5:35 pm

Frank,

Maybe the lad did say "Sir" and it was misheard due to a clapped-out hearing system (I have one myself) as "there"!!  allthumbz  allthumbz 

My one claim to fame as a youth was that I never suffered from spots or blackheads; but a mate of mine had enough for the both of us!!  hugegrins 

Best regards,
 drinksallround 
Ian

_________________
Dutto - Living more in hope than expectation; and seldom disappointed!
avatar
Dutto
Donator
Donator

Male

Posts : 7865
Joined : 2011-06-14
Location : Lincolnshire
Auto-Sleeper : Duetto

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Is it cos I's old?

Post by pablo on Fri Jul 18, 2014 10:04 am

boxerman wrote:Perhaps you would prefer the shop assistants to ignore you completely while they chat amongst themselves/ fiddle with their phones etc..?

"Are you alright there?" would be perfectly acceptable to me, I don't expect to be treated like royalty when I go into a shop, being treated as an equal is good enough. (the "Sir" is optional - I was never knighted so I don't get upset if they omit it)

Frank
Ah! I get it! It's not cos I's old, its cos I's Royal! Well that's the last time you'll see me shopping in Harrods! 

James take me to Poundland this instant!
avatar
pablo
Member
Member

Male

Posts : 223
Joined : 2014-04-23
Member Age : 66
Location : Devon
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Is it cos I's old?

Post by PennyandDerek on Fri Jul 18, 2014 10:53 am

I think you're right Paul, it is 'cos we's old.

Old enough to remember a time when it was 'ever so slightly' rather different.  thanksverymuch 

 drinksallround 

Derek
avatar
PennyandDerek
Donator
Donator

Male

Posts : 326
Joined : 2012-03-08
Member Age : 69
Location : Dolton, Deepest Devon
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo ES Lowline
Vehicle Year : 2008

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Is it cos I's old?

Post by boxerman on Fri Jul 18, 2014 11:29 am

OLD??? he's only 62  content 

Frank
avatar
boxerman
Donator
Donator

Male

Posts : 4356
Joined : 2011-08-21
Member Age : 71
Location : Preston Lancs
Auto-Sleeper : '95 Symphony
Vehicle Year : 1995

View user profile http://www.rtmr.org

Back to top Go down

Re: Is it cos I's old?

Post by Paulmold on Fri Jul 18, 2014 12:16 pm

Having spent 26 years in retail we were always told not to ask "can I help you sir" as that always got the reply "no", whereas the " are you alright there" will always get the reply "yes". A more positive approach and one I approve of and I'm 63.

_________________
If life just doesn't add up, start subtracting
avatar
Paulmold
Moderator
Moderator

Male

Posts : 13764
Joined : 2011-02-21
Member Age : 67
Location : Mold, North Wales
Auto-Sleeper : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Is it cos I's old?

Post by Dutto on Fri Jul 18, 2014 1:57 pm

Paulmold wrote:Having spent 26 years in retail we were always told not to ask "can I help you sir" as that always got the reply "no", whereas the " are you alright there" will always get the reply "yes". A more positive approach and one I approve of and I'm 63.
That's nowt lad!  wave  wave 

I is old before my time.  So much so that at nineteen I even sleep with a great-grandmother!! champagne  champagne  champagne 

Just when I thought I was old enough to be called "Sir" by sales people, they stopped doing it; but at least I am now old enough to treat persistent salesmen to "Which part of "---- Off" did you not understand?" and get away with it!! hugegrins  hugegrins 

Best regards,
 drinksallround 
Ian

_________________
Dutto - Living more in hope than expectation; and seldom disappointed!
avatar
Dutto
Donator
Donator

Male

Posts : 7865
Joined : 2011-06-14
Location : Lincolnshire
Auto-Sleeper : Duetto

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Is it cos I's old?

Post by groundhog on Wed Sep 03, 2014 9:35 am

Michael O'Leary of Ryanair fame, once said to me "Dave, would you rip off a poor old Paddy." when we were negotiating a deal Those words stuck so how many times have I now said in a shop "Would you rip off a poor old pensioner" and got a discount out of it!! up!
avatar
groundhog
Donator
Donator

Posts : 1905
Joined : 2011-08-01
Location : anywhere West
Auto-Sleeper : Worcester

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Is it cos I's old?

Post by Dutto on Wed Sep 03, 2014 8:34 pm

From what I have heard of Mr. O'Leary I hope you counted your fingers after shaking on the deal! tap_fingers

I also am not too proud to pull the "Old Pensioner" stunt; but it doesn't work too well if you have just cycled up to the store!! think_smiley_46

Best regards,
drinksallround

_________________
Dutto - Living more in hope than expectation; and seldom disappointed!
avatar
Dutto
Donator
Donator

Male

Posts : 7865
Joined : 2011-06-14
Location : Lincolnshire
Auto-Sleeper : Duetto

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Is it cos I's old?

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum