Fed up and sad

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Fed up and sad

Post by The Mother on Tue Jul 01, 2014 10:12 pm

Sorry all hav`nt been on here for a while life just runs away from me and before I know it months have passed.
really sad as we will have to say good-bye to our lovely auto sleeper. M O T was massive failure ( not if you are a welding mechanic !) as we`ve just been told . But we`re not so that's that and money is tight . But its nice to talk to people who understand just how upsetting this can be. So all of you out there keep driving and having fun.
The Mother

Female

Member Age : 58
Auto-Sleeper : Express

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Fed up and sad

Post by daisy mae on Tue Jul 01, 2014 11:24 pm

So sorry to read this, have you a friend who could help,? can anything be salvage from it,? must be so devastating for you. Hope something turns up for you.

Kind regards,
Margaret
daisy mae
Donator
Donator

Female

Auto-Sleeper : Anniversary Clubman
Vehicle Year : Oct. 2003 VW 2.5 TDI

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Shuggiegreen on Tue Jul 01, 2014 11:45 pm

The mother, would it not be possible to get several welding quotes dont just base everything on the one quote.Also some welders will give you a payment plan over a period of time to make payment easier you will also if you hunt around find welders who do homers which can reduce costs greatly.Even if you have to sell your van after it has been welded you will get a better price for it if it has 12 months MOT good luck with whatever you decide to do.
Shuggiegreen

Male

Member Age : 67
Auto-Sleeper : Clubman GL
Vehicle Year : 1997

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by -mojo- on Tue Jul 01, 2014 11:51 pm

Sorry to hear that - we've been through this several times now on older vans and it's never an easy one.

The thing that we found is that - provided it's not so bad that the only option is for it to be scrapped (fortunately we never owned one that badly gone) - it always makes sense financially to have it fixed, because people will offer only derisory amounts of money for an MOT failure van! So IMO the thing to do is to start asking around for recommended body shops and then get a few quotes.

One thing I would add though - always include some contingency in your budget, as it's very common to find "unexpected" areas of corrosion once they start cutting bodywork away. Our last rust repair job cost (with our agreement) 20% more than the original quote...

Good luck!

Last edited by -mojo- on Wed Jul 02, 2014 3:35 am; edited 1 time in total
-mojo-

Male

Member Age : 20
Auto-Sleeper : Trooper
Vehicle Year : 2006

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Shuggiegreen on Tue Jul 01, 2014 11:56 pm

mojo. Good advice you have given there fella.
Shuggiegreen

Male

Member Age : 67
Auto-Sleeper : Clubman GL
Vehicle Year : 1997

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by mikejack on Wed Jul 02, 2014 12:08 am

There is a guy on the wildcamping forum think his name is old Arthur. I don't know if he fixes vans as a hobby but he did wonders for a wildcampers transit autosleeper. They had been told it would need to be scrapped and looking at the pictures of it i would have said transfer the monocoque over and scrap the transit but he fixed it and it passed the mot. 

Mike
mikejack

Male

Member Age : 46
Auto-Sleeper : medallion
Vehicle Year : 1998

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by The Mother on Wed Jul 02, 2014 1:07 am

Thank you all so much for your advice and best wishes, its kind of you all.
The Mother

Female

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Dutto on Wed Jul 02, 2014 1:37 am

Hi there,

WOW!  That must have been a real shock and I sympathise with you.

However, just from your "Location" there must be at least 200 people within five miles of you with the required welding skills and equipment to repair your pride and joy!

As previously explained, please don't take a single opinion as Gospel and if finances are tight at the moment it may very well be worth your while just hanging on to the van until times get better.

If nothing else, you can sit in the drive and have a dram every so often to replay the memories.  champagne  champagne 

Hope this helps.  allthumbz 

Best regards,
 drinksallround

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Duetto

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Celticbiker on Wed Jul 02, 2014 11:12 am

So sorry to hear this.
I'd be happy to help out if you were closer.
Can I ask though, did you have any advisories on the previous MOT?
It just seems odd that there was nothing, then 12 months later a 'massive' failure.
Could you take a picture of the failure list and post it up or PM it to me.
I once had a car fail and was told it needed new brake pads,discs and hoses all round (which I knew it didn't) at a cost of £650.
Told the guy I'd do it that day and come back in the morning.
Took it to an MOT station that doesn't do repairs and it passed without  any advisories.
If it's fixable and you can get it to Bristol I'd be happy to spend a weekend on it for you.
Celticbiker

Male

Member Age : 45
Auto-Sleeper : Duetto
Vehicle Year : 1998 ish

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by modelman on Wed Jul 02, 2014 5:46 pm

It's very annoying when you find that different testers have different ideas as to what passes & what fails & it seems that even after all this time, there is still not a level playing-field around the country.
My last LWB hi-top Transit van was a cracker, & I loved it to bits, then it failed the  MOT on the rear spring-hangers, now I know it could be fixed & wouldn't cost the earth, but I decided to be rid of it.
I practically gave it away to a friend 100 miles away, pushing his luck, he took it to his local guy to get it tested & yep, it passed, & he had another 2 years trouble free use, then traded it in for the latest model & had nothing but trouble, 3 starters & alternators in 18 months!!

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 71
Auto-Sleeper : Talisman
Vehicle Year : 1998

View user profile http://www.modelslipway.com

Back to top Go down

Post by boxerman on Wed Jul 02, 2014 5:58 pm

Celticbiker wrote:
If it's fixable and you can get it to Bristol I'd be happy to spend a weekend on it for you.

You are a gentleman Sir! worthy of the name "biker"  up! Cetlic or otherwise.  winks 

Frank
boxerman
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 70
Auto-Sleeper : '95 Symphony
Vehicle Year : 1995

View user profile http://www.rtmr.org

Back to top Go down

Post by Wingrider8368 on Wed Jul 02, 2014 6:08 pm

Well said Frank (Boxerman), Celticbiker, a true gent, well done to you sir.  up! 

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 64
Auto-Sleeper : Talisman
Vehicle Year : 2004

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by peugeotboxer on Wed Jul 02, 2014 7:33 pm

modelman wrote:It's very annoying when you find that different testers have different ideas as to what passes & what fails & it seems that even after all this time, there is still not a level playing-field around the country.

I think things have changed since the 'good old days' when you could 'shop' around different MOT stations.
Everything is now electronically captured so wherever you take the vehicle, the Tester will know what it's failed on.
However, not sure if advisorys are recorded?
And yes, different testers still have differing opinions!!

PB
peugeotboxer
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Harmony
Vehicle Year : 2000

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by The Mother on Thu Jul 03, 2014 12:05 am

Again, thank you all for such good advice ,you are a lovely bunch
The Mother

Female

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by The Mother on Thu Jul 03, 2014 12:16 am

forgot to put on a special thank you to Celticbiker, you are a gem
The Mother

Female

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by The Mother on Fri Jul 04, 2014 4:48 am

Well peeps this is good-bye, husband has sold  Katie and brought a matchbox car 2 doors and a hatch. It does spring to mind can one divorce on the grounds of selling much loved camper ???.
Also I had a pm from Celticbiker sorry but I cant seem to get to it.
So it just remains to say farewell and drive safe. I don't know if I will get in this new thing but if I do I shall certainly miss the friendly waving as we pass other campers. Be Lucky xx
The Mother

Female

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Harper22 on Sat Aug 16, 2014 2:56 am

My heart has just broken for you reading this, We had a similar result last year and I ended up having to go to the bank of mum for the 2k to get our beloved Holly sorted. The problem is the people that do the MOT's only look at them as a panel van and ignore the actual value of it being a camper. It took a lot of soul searching and speaking to dealers about the financial sense in ploughing another 2k into a van that had already cost close to 8 but given the use we get out of her (without even going into the sentimental attachment) we decided we just couldn't part with her, I may well be in the same situation again in a week or so when we have this years done but for the time being I shall bury my head and try not to think about the one day inevitable choice I will have to make. The question is i guess how mush do you plough into a van of a certain age before you have to just put your hands up and walk away. I'm certainly more tempted now than ever to try and do a night class on mechanics and engines to try and cut some of the costs. I sincerely hope you can venture back into the wonderful world of campers and moho's. Kindest regards Neil x
Harper22

Male

Member Age : 38

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Swansea Jac on Sat Aug 16, 2014 3:44 am

Sad story!  I feel for you.  Here's hoping you'll win the lottery soon and be able to replace your best friend! Meanwhile...carry on waving at everyone! wave
Swansea Jac
Donator
Donator

Female

Member Age : 78
Auto-Sleeper : Legend
Vehicle Year : 2000

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by boxerman on Sat Aug 16, 2014 6:30 am

Harper22 wrote: I'm certainly more tempted now than ever to try and do a night class on mechanics and engines to try and cut some of the costs.
Well Niel, I certainly couldn't afford to run our van if I had to pay other people to do my maintenance & repairs. Mine you I've been fiddling about with vehicles since I was about 14 - long time! Getting some night classes in would certainly stand you in good stead and give you a better understanding of how things work. Get your partner enrolled too and between you you could probably tackle anything that needs doing  up! 
There are lots of experienced people on here to ask for advice on any jobs that require doing.

Frank
boxerman
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 70
Auto-Sleeper : '95 Symphony
Vehicle Year : 1995

View user profile http://www.rtmr.org

Back to top Go down

Post by Harper22 on Fri Sep 26, 2014 2:00 am

Honestly frank since doing the glow plugs, filters and clutch cable etc (with masses of help and info from this forum) its sounding more and more like something I should look into, monetary saving aside the feeling of accomplishment at getting things working again is fantastic. having passed the mot this year i now have issues with the wipers, the joys of having a teenager eh, always something wrong with them lmao
Harper22

Male

Member Age : 38

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum