Hendre Mynach

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Hendre Mynach

Post by mikeyval on Sun Jun 22, 2014 9:36 pm

We have just had a 3 x night short unplanned break to the Hendre Mynach camping site at Barmouth (Wales)
Weather = absolutely superb
Location = Superb. Couple hundred yards from the beach / promenade. 10 / 15 minute into Barmouth.
The Land Train charges £4 return from site to town.
Town = lively & buzzing, nice atmosphere plenty of shops. The original Welsh rock shop is recommended (yummy)

The site =  Units were packed in with barely much space between --- They were very busy this weekend.
Dogs galore (and their faeces not picked up by the dog owner/s) in at least 3 places on the site and in two places on pathways in/out of the site.

The staff were top notch --- Facilities were OK but crowded we thought
too few for so many - eg, mens toilet / shower block just not big enough ---- Impossible to keep your shower floor dressing area dry due to short curtains. (so easy to remedy)
Hook up 10 amp, so no problems there -- fresh water taps were plentiful - waste disposal points plentiful -- refuse disposal points plentiful.
We paid £25 per night - this was for Electric hook / Awning and 4 x Adults.

Recommended - Yes - mid week best for peace and tranquility
Mikeyval

Male

Member Age : 70
Auto-Sleeper : Talisman

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Hendre Mynach

Post by Tommy-Darcy on Mon Jun 23, 2014 10:35 am

Hi there, shame you didn't visit 2012/13 when we were part of the warden team there.

It's proximity to the beach and prom land train make it great if you don't want to move once you have landed. Alas for this reason it does attract those "Party Hard" campers who don't consider other people by their actions whether it be dogs or kids.

We often commented on the safety aspect having tents/vans rammed in, but our thoughts were ignored.

Best time to go is mid week and out of peak season. Becomes a totally different place, very enjoyable and peaceful.

If you go again, take a walk or bike ride up the Mawddach Trail into Dolgellau by crossing the railway bridge. Beautiful scenery and an abundance of wildlife, plus some interesting industrial archaeology  up!

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 55
Auto-Sleeper : Duetto

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by mikeyval on Mon Jun 23, 2014 10:58 am

Forgot to say, there was a downside to this site -  all of us are pickled with bites. Millions of midges and other such beasties, so many they simply get in everywhere, but way too hot to have everything shut up tight. But that's nature for you.
Mike

Male

Member Age : 70

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by journeyman on Tue Aug 19, 2014 4:05 am

Tommy-Darcy wrote:

Best time to go is mid week and out of peak season. Becomes a totally different place, very enjoyable and peaceful.

I agree Tommy, we've used it during the low season, when its hammering with rain…nice and quiet, with a huge beach almost to ourselves and the mutt. We also had an issue with dog faeces on parts of the site. Its a shame, its not something I routinely see on UK campsites.

journeyman
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 56
Auto-Sleeper : Symbol 2008

View user profile http://www.motorhomedreamer.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post by modelman on Tue Aug 19, 2014 8:20 am

We stayed there a couple of years ago for a few nights & found it to be a very nice site, £25.00 a night seemed a bit steep, but hey-ho.
Loved the walk along the seafront into town &  liked Barmouth a lot, took the ferry across the creek to the other side & took the lovely little narrow-gauge steam train into the village of Fairbourne, but it was shut, it was like a ghost-town, never seen anywhere like it!!

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 71
Vehicle Year : 1998

View user profile http://www.modelslipway.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy-Darcy on Fri Aug 22, 2014 8:29 pm

On the subject of owners not picking up following dog fouling.

Unfortunately as long as there are dog owners who refuse to pick up there will always be bad reviews. This I feel is slightly unfair as although we as wardens do our absolute utmost to keep sites faeces free we can not be every where all of the time and will obviously miss some. Perhaps if dog owners were approached by other campers who witness acts of "non pickupness" they would be embarrassed enough to react, and also think twice next time.

It is a constant for us wardens,whether it be at Hendre Mynach or where we are now at Harrogate Caravan Park.

Even worse when we come to strim and hit a pile of it. The first we know about it being there is when it hits the perforated screen, smell it taste it......................!!!!

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 55
Auto-Sleeper : Duetto

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by modelman on Sat Aug 23, 2014 8:13 am

Even worse when we come to strim and hit a pile of it. The first we know about it being there is when it hits the perforated screen, smell it taste it......................!!!!

Ahh, I WONDERED where that saying came from. hugegrins

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 71
Vehicle Year : 1998

View user profile http://www.modelslipway.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy-Darcy on Sat Aug 23, 2014 8:52 am

lol4  lol4  lol4