Clubman (& similar): rear coil springs

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Clubman (& similar): rear coil springs

Post by Cymro on Sun Jun 22, 2014 8:05 am

I thought it might be helpful to report a recent experience with rear coil springs on the Clubman. Whilst in the garage for an MOT, it was noticed that a rear spring had broken. It was replaced. But ever since, the Clubman was lower on that side. It has since been discovered that apparently VW make 2 types of spring for the T4, and my Clubman [1998] came with the heavier duty type. Both springs will shortly be replaced, for that heavier duty type.

This may also be relevant to other motorhomes based on VW T4 or possibly T5.
Cymro
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo ES

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Clubman (& similar): rear coil springs

Post by shotley59 on Sun Jun 22, 2014 8:28 am

Hi Cymo, When I took over my Clubman same year as yours, we had a broken spring. As you stated there were two replacements and the lightweight pair had to be sent back and swapped for the heavier version
Mick
shotley59

Auto-Sleeper : VW Clubman GL

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by paul horn on Fri Jun 27, 2014 9:27 am

Hi Cymro,
Ihad lots of problems sourcing the correct springs for my 1994 clubman recently with the tyre rubbing the top of the wheel arch cowling etc, to cut a long story short I sourced some heavy duty springs for a VW T4 FLATBED as thats what the clubmans are on (auto sleepers advised me) yet still I have had to have spacers made to prevent rubbing.
Apparently the springs are colour coded if you remove dirt you should see a splodge of coloured paint?
paul horn

Male

Auto-Sleeper : clubman gl on vw t4

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymro on Fri Jun 27, 2014 10:04 am

That's most helpful, Paul.  Thanks very much.

Cymro
Cymro
Donator
Donator

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by dandywarhol on Fri Jun 27, 2014 6:04 pm

I'd an ongoing problem with rear coils. I bought the van with recently fitted KYB (Kayaba) springs and one failed driving over the speed bump into the MOT station - less than 2 years old. I replaced them with a pair of KYBs and within months they had sagged so much the mudflaps scraped on corners! Another warranty replacement set (for a chassis cab) sagged as much as the previous set.

KYB finally admitted to a problem with their springs and gave a full refund. I got a pair of German manufactured Meyle OEM springs and been fine for 2 years. Coupled to a pair of Sachs dampers the van is good but is still a bit low when laden and a couple of electric bikes (with batteries out) on the rack so I fitted a pair of Airlift air assistors into the coils just this week - I'll keep you posted

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Ex Clubman Anniversa

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by wildburns on Sat Jun 28, 2014 5:04 pm

Just been through the MOT myself and failed on a snapped spring,
Replaced both rears with heavy duty, I drive a standard T4
for work and the clubman sits a lot higher at the front
than a standard van, heavy those habitation areas !

Replaced both, as springs will settle with age and didn't want the
van to lean.

I think the colour coding is only relevant on standard vans,
flat beds are all heavy duty.

Standard vans are rated 800kg 1000kg and 1200kg.
wildburns

Male

Auto-Sleeper : clubman

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by dandywarhol on Sat Jun 28, 2014 8:39 pm

The Meyer springs are 1200 rated

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Ex Clubman Anniversa

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymro on Sat Jun 28, 2014 8:42 pm

I'm not sure how best to thank all contributors to a thread which one has started, and to thank would-be contributors in advance - but please consider yourselves all  gratefully thanked! As ever, the Forum is so helpful. 

Cymro
Cymro
Donator
Donator

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by 34058 on Wed Sep 30, 2015 5:25 pm

Hello.
A quick introduction: I'm David.  My wife and I bought a Clubman anniversary almost a year ago.  We are very happy with it.
Just before going on holiday I noticed that the small, tightly wound coil on the top of the offside rear spring of the VW T4 base vehicle had broken.  After reading a number of very useful posts on both this and the T4 owners forums (fora?) we did not bother replacing it before going on holiday.  All went well, and we drove 3,500 miles without any problems.

Now we are back home I decided to replace the springs, because the MOT is due in about 6 weeks time.  I will post some details in the hope that the information will be of use to other people, and myself too in case I forget what/when I did in a couple of years time.

After getting no help at all from the AS factory ("We don't know what rate springs are on the base vehicle, we just fit the body to the chassis cab."  'But surely you must specify the rating of the springs to be appropriate to the weight of the conversion?'  "I don't know about that"), or much help from my local auto factors, I called Just Kampers (I'm not advertising here; I'm just a happy customer).  They helped me identify the correct rated springs.  I ordered them at 5:20 pm yesterday, they were delivered at 9am today, and I fitted them this afternoon.  Anyway, enough of my rambling; here are the details.

Ride height from tarmac to the highest point of the rear wheel arch with old springs fitted
Near side 26.5"  Off side (with broken spring) 26.25"
Uncompressed length of old unbroken spring 11"
Uncompressed length of new springs is also 11"

Ride height from tarmac to the highest point of the rear wheel arch with new springs fitted
Near side 26.75"  Off side 26.75"

New springs are made in Germany by Suplex.  Suplex part number 39055, with one blob of brown paint.  They hopefully will be well made and of better quality than the Chinese cheese used to make some of the 'GBP39.99 heavy duty' springs I was quoted for by one factor!

Time taken to do the job 1.5 hours.  This includes getting out and putting away tools, two trolley jacks, axle stands, loads of wooden packing blocks and time spent searching for the handle of another hydraulic jack to lift up the rear wishbones.  I have not done this job before.

I have not yet driven anywhere in the vehicle.  When I have given it a good run I will remeasure the ride height, and if it drops a lot I will post back here.

I hope this information is of help to someone.

David.

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Clubman Anniversary

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Clubman Springs

Post by jimandcilla on Wed Sep 30, 2015 8:36 pm

We had a broken offside rear spring and had both replaced with 1200 kg heavy duty and had air assist bags fitted at the same time,made a lot of difference to the stability of the van on corners, only trouble now is we have a different van,have fitted the air bags but noticed that the front end tends to wallow on corners anyone any ideas for the front end stiffening up or is this getting off topic?
jimandcilla

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Clubman Anniversary

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Tallboy on Sun Oct 04, 2015 8:08 pm

Like many ageing VW T4 motorhome owners, I have had problems with broken coil springs, and had them replaced with 'heavy duty' springs from various suppliers. Some are better than others, but all the non-OEM springs I have tried have either broken again or sagged very badly. In desperation, and before resorting to airbags, I went to my local VW Commercial dealer to order the correct items. I was a little surprised at the cost of a pair of springs, £249.62 a few months ago, but when they were delivered I could see why they were so expensive. They were surprisingly hefty, very heavy, and actually looked as though they could do the job. I fitted them myself fairly easily, and now, 5000 miles later they are as good as new and are showing no signs of sagging. It is now quite a climb up into the van- the rear ride height is a good 3 inches higher than it was before. Conclusion- very much more expensive than other aftermarket suppliers (typically £80 each), but the VW parts appear to be well worth the extra.

FWIW, the part number for a heavy duty flat-bed chassis rear spring is 
W701 511 105 B

Rich
Tallboy
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : '99 T4 Clubman GL

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum: