The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Adjusting pitch on a Thule/omnistore awning

+10
FreelanderUK
Caraman
stoneb
Gram
Spospe
Swansea Jac
ajrm
chrisvesey
modelman
padraigpost
14 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Adjusting pitch on a Thule/omnistore awning Empty Adjusting pitch on a Thule/omnistore awning

Post by padraigpost Sat 21 Jun 2014 - 15:35

Can anyone tell me how to adjust the pitch on the Thule/omnistore awning fitted to my new Bourton, when wound out the front rail is far to high and the legs just dangle in the air unless at the highest setting, I am sure there is some easy way of doing it but cannot seem to find any information about it.
Many thanks in advance
Don
padraigpost
padraigpost

Male

Member Age : 79
Auto-Sleeper : Mercedes Bourton
Vehicle Year : 2014

Back to top Go down

Adjusting pitch on a Thule/omnistore awning Empty Re: Adjusting pitch on a Thule/omnistore awning

Post by modelman Sat 21 Jun 2014 - 16:49

I think I'd be a bit careful when winding it out, there is a fair old load on the inner pivots when its fully-out, & you can possibly do some damage, I wind mine out about a metre or so, then drop the legs to the ground to take the weight, (even lifting it slightly) then carry on winding-out & adjusting the legs as I go.
Mine will only 'drop down' until its wound-out fully, so if yours is 'hanging-high', maybe its not fully wound out.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 77
Auto-Sleeper : Amethyst
Vehicle Year : 2003

Back to top Go down

Adjusting pitch on a Thule/omnistore awning Empty Re: Adjusting pitch on a Thule/omnistore awning

Post by padraigpost Sat 21 Jun 2014 - 17:10

Hi modelman, 
                      The awning is fully wound out as it has reached the stage where it goes "slack" and you have to take it in a little to restore tension, I think the problem is that A/S have mounted it at the point of the roof joining the side panel and it is on a curve, I have searched online and the pitch is adjustable but I cannot find a site which will tell me how to do it.
Don
padraigpost
padraigpost

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by chrisvesey Sat 21 Jun 2014 - 18:14

hi,
I suggest you contact Johns cross motorhomes, they are good at all things including awnings,
Chris
chrisvesey
chrisvesey
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 76
Auto-Sleeper : sold it
Vehicle Year : 2001

Back to top Go down

Post by ajrm Sun 22 Jun 2014 - 22:53

I have to wind mine out ( Broadway FB, same awning) about a metre and a half before I can reach the legs and lower them. The legs telescope out quite a lot, you should be able to lower them so they don't dangle in the air.
I think the pitch adjustment is more of a gimmick than a real adjustment. I noticed a couple of weeks ago that if I get hold of a leg and push the awning up, the brackets swivel upwards a tad. I think thats all it is. You are already on the low setting, pushing the whole thing up adjusts to the higher setting.
I never found out any more info on it but can't check the manual tonight as the van is with Peugeot being serviced.
Allan
ajrm
ajrm

Male

Member Age : 69
Auto-Sleeper : Ex 2013 Broadway FB
Vehicle Year : 2018

Back to top Go down

Post by Swansea Jac Mon 23 Jun 2014 - 1:13

Just a thought... Are you on level ground?  If the ground drops away on the side where the door is, that could lead to rather a lot of 'dangle'.
Swansea Jac
Swansea Jac
Donator
Donator

Female

Member Age : 84
Auto-Sleeper : Legend
Vehicle Year : 2000

Back to top Go down

Post by padraigpost Mon 23 Jun 2014 - 14:39

Hi ajrm,
           The awning when extended a metre and a half needs a step to reach the front rail and as I am 5ft 10 the pitch is set wrong, and as I do not want the awning set that high I have managed to discover via another forum how to adjust the pitch and also via the Thule website so as soon as I return home I will adjust it which hopefully should solve the problem, many thanks to all who have replied.
Don
padraigpost
padraigpost

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by ajrm Mon 23 Jun 2014 - 15:39

Hi Don
I'd appreciate if you could post the information. I'm 5'11' and still can't read it till its almost 2 metres out!
Allan

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by padraigpost Tue 24 Jun 2014 - 11:20

Hi Allan,
            The pitch adjustment seems to be only on the roof mounted awnings , mine is on the rounded section where the roof and side meets, it is a thule 6200 awning ( the model number is on a plate on the inside of the front rail) the adjustment is on the blocks where the arms join the main section, if you go on the Thule website, go to awnings and select the roof mounted 6200 model which yours probably is and then download the user manual ( at the bottom of the page) for it it gives you the details, it is only in a pictogram form with no written instructions but seems easy to follow, under the cover for the blocks there are 2 bolts it is the top one you turn anticlockwise to lower the pitch, I have not done mine yet as I am away at the moment and need a stepladder to reach the main body of the awning but I will be doing it this weekend when I return home, I will post how successful it is.
Don

PS if yours is adjustable it will say on the mounting blocks " adjustable pitch system"
padraigpost
padraigpost

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by ajrm Tue 24 Jun 2014 - 13:51

Hi Don, got my van back today so will have a look later. Mine says it is an adjustable pitch system
Allan

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by chrisvesey Tue 24 Jun 2014 - 21:14

hi,
I'm surprised you didn't notice this when the van was handed over by the dealer, I would have rejected it as unusable,
Chris
chrisvesey
chrisvesey
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 76
Auto-Sleeper : sold it
Vehicle Year : 2001

Back to top Go down

Post by ajrm Tue 24 Jun 2014 - 21:33

I was wearing bigger shoes.....

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Spospe Wed 25 Jun 2014 - 17:53

The Thule system allows for various pitch angles depending on how many washers you put under the head of the 4 mm Allen bolts that regulate it. For a Boxer panel van the suggestion is to use 2 washers (that is what I have on my Warwick Duo). The diagram showing the options can be seen at:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]  

and take the User Manual button.

My Warwick came with an extra sheet of instructions recommending the use of just 2 washers, as per diagram "I" on the above webpage.

EDIT: Sorry folks, I don't know why, but the above link will not post properly. If you use Google and search for "thule omnistor 6200 instructions", you will find it OK
Spospe
Spospe
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Warwick Duo

Back to top Go down

Post by ajrm Wed 25 Jun 2014 - 18:10

I think as Don says, on ours it's just a case of winding in or out an adjuster. I haven't had time to have a look yet. When we had the handover, reaching for the awning end was easy because we were on a flat concrete workshop floor, we rarely stay on a level site and the awning is always a lot higher than the ground!
Allan

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by padraigpost Wed 25 Jun 2014 - 20:41

Hi Allan, just had another look at thule website and as Spospe says it appears that an Allen bolt has to be adjusted with various amounts of washers dependant on the pitch required, I think we will need 4 for our coachbuilts, I will be setting off for home tomorrow so hopefully on Friday or Saturday I should be able to adjust mine, I will post results.
Don
padraigpost
padraigpost

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Spospe Wed 25 Jun 2014 - 20:58

padraigpost wrote:Hi Allan, just had another look at thule website and as Spospe says it appears that an Allen bolt has to be adjusted with various amounts of washers dependant on the pitch required, I think we will need 4 for our coachbuilts, I will be setting off for home tomorrow so hopefully on Friday or Saturday I should be able to adjust mine, I will post results.
Don

I think that you are right and 4 washers will be required for your coachbuilt van. Generally coachbuilts are higher and have more upright sides than panel van conversions and so need more 'droop' on the canopy, so that it is easier to reach the legs when the canopy is rolled out a small amount.
Spospe
Spospe
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by ajrm Wed 25 Jun 2014 - 22:02

Well, I looked in the van and have the awning instructions. You are all right, looks like adjustment consists of adding / removing washers to get the right angle. Took this image from my handbook.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Just need to check how many washers are under the bolt on mine.
Allan

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Spospe Thu 26 Jun 2014 - 18:12

ajrm wrote:Well, I looked in the van and have the awning instructions. You are all right, looks like adjustment consists of adding / removing washers to get the right angle. Took this image from my handbook.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Just need to check how many washers are under the bolt on mine.
Allan

When we got our Warwick Duo, there was an extra, loose-leaf page to the instructions and it was annotated with recommendations for various vans. The X250 series of panel vans were specifically shown as needing two washers to clear the side door when open and the awning light. The basic message is to adjust the awning until you can open and close it without it hitting anything and you being able to reach it easily to release / replace the legs.
Spospe
Spospe
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by padraigpost Fri 27 Jun 2014 - 16:27

Just adjusted mine today, it had only 2 washers fitted and as my washers seemed thinner I added 3 and it seems about perfect, it is just a matter of winding out the awning about 18 inches and removing the  plastic cover on both adjusters and  using an allen key to remove the bolt, add washers and replace, I found it made it easier to screw back in if you support and lift slightly the front rail with one hand while putting the bolt back in with the other, all in all took about 10 to 15 minutes
padraigpost
padraigpost

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Gram Fri 27 Jun 2014 - 21:03

Does anyone know if Fiamma awnings have a pitch adjustment?

G
Gram
Gram

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Symbol
Vehicle Year : 2009

Back to top Go down

Post by Spospe Mon 30 Jun 2014 - 16:54

Gram: sorry for the delay in replying.

Our two Fiamma awnings fitted to Duettos had no pitch adjustment at all and did not need it either. I do not know if this applies to all their models or not; the ones fitted to the Duetto were the rather short 2.5 metre types and longer models may droop more.
Spospe
Spospe
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Gram Mon 30 Jun 2014 - 21:07

Thanks, Spospe.

It's just that the awning on my Symbol is rather high so it's a bit of a stretch to reach to unfold the legs when the awning is a metre or so extended,

G
Gram
Gram

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Symbol
Vehicle Year : 2009

Back to top Go down

Post by stoneb Fri 25 Jul 2014 - 20:49

It's ok for you tall fellas to complain about the height of your awning front rails! Imagine how it is for people like me, I'm only 5'3" !! And I know motorhomers who make me feel tall (not many though) even at my shorty height.

Barry.

Last edited by stoneb on Fri 25 Jul 2014 - 20:52; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Sorry, I pushed the button too early in excitement.)
stoneb
stoneb

Male

Member Age : 74
Auto-Sleeper : Winchcombe

Back to top Go down

Post by ajrm Fri 25 Jul 2014 - 21:11

Hi Barry. We aren't all that tall either otherwise we would be able to reach!
We are in France at the moment, it's very hot and I have used the awning every day for the last week.
I ignore the instructions and wind the awning out till I can reach it( about 1.5 metres).
Nothing bad has happened to me yet!
Allan

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by padraigpost Fri 25 Jul 2014 - 21:18

Barry,
         your Winchcombe awning is positioned the same as my Bourton on the roof and not the side of the van, you will probably find that it is set up the same as mine was for a van conversion with only 2 washers on each of the adjustment blocks, you will need to add probably another 2 each side I added 3 per side on mine and now I can reach the front rail after it is wound out about 1 metre.
Don
padraigpost
padraigpost

Male

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next