What age.

View previous topic View next topic Go down

What age.

Post by Shuggiegreen on Mon Jun 16, 2014 10:46 am

What age would you guys say an Auto Sleeper was a classic ? for example my Clubman is 17 years old would it be to young to be a classic.?
Shuggiegreen

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Clubman GL
Vehicle Year : 1997

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: What age.

Post by daisy mae on Mon Jun 16, 2014 11:49 am

I would say it is an icon, as I consider my 2003 Anniversary Clubman to be, do not make them like that any more, mores the pity.
daisy mae
Donator
Donator

Female

Auto-Sleeper : Anniversary Clubman
Vehicle Year : Oct. 2003 VW 2.5 TDI

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold on Mon Jun 16, 2014 12:08 pm

In the MMM mag there is a section on Classic Campers and in this they use 15 years as a rough guide which would make all Talbot based vans classics and also many Boxer based vans plus many VW T4 based vans. I don't think Boxer based ones are classic yet nor the VW T4's and certainly some Talbots are in too good condition to be called classic so it really is a personal thing as to what can be called a classic.  Going older, I would call campers based on Bedfords, Transit Mk1 & 2 and Commers classic.

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo ES
Vehicle Year : 2006

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Roo on Tue Jun 17, 2014 12:11 pm

I'd say my '81 Bedford CF SV100 was a classic nowadays, and probably the Talbot that superseded it but would struggle with anything newer than that. It is all just a matter of opinion though!
Roo

Male

Auto-Sleeper : SV100

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by SherpaSam on Wed Sep 17, 2014 12:29 am

The "What's Vintage" thread from April decided much the same: Vintage or Classic is dependent on how old You are as much as how old your Van is, and changes depending on where you are.
Go to a Vintage rally in a van made in the 90s and you'll look out of place, whereas on a camper site surrounded by the latest thing you'll have loads of people reminiscing about what fun they remember having in their youth.

I still have trouble thinking of my '78 Sherpa as Old, since I remember them as New when I was a Teenager, but to my Teenage Kids it's as old as a wartime vehicle would be to me.
If that makes any sense.
It's a Classic if people have fond memories of it, so the more distinctive the style the easier it is to remember.
Whew!
SherpaSam

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum