Storage & Weight reduction

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Storage & Weight reduction

Post by Fiona on Sun Aug 14, 2011 7:57 pm

We are new to motorhoming and have a 1995 Symphony which we are delighted with. However, I’m always on the look out for finding new storage solutions and ways to reduce the weight being carried. So I thought I’d share my findings with you so far…

First of all, I’ve made some storage bags to fit over the backs of the cab seats. I made these out of an old duvet cover I had, and they are a brilliant match for the upholstery of our Symphony. They fit onto the seats like a ruck-sack, with straps fitting together with Velcro. I have made the one on the passenger’s seat removable by using Velcro to attach it to the straps, so that it can be easily removed when swivelling the seat to face the rear. The bags are really useful for storing our large road atlas, newspapers, magazines, torches, pens, books etc. I would post a photo of the bags, but I don’t know how! Perhaps someone could help me. scratch head

While I had my sewing machine out, I made some very simple bags of all sizes out of an old sheet. I use these for saucepans, grill pan, tools, dustpan & brush, even the cutlery in the drawer, to stop them all rattling while on the move.

We sleep on the double bed transversally across the van (this works fine, even though my husband is 5’11”). So we don’t need any of the in-fill cushions (2 stored in the overcab locker and 1 stored behind the single rear seat). This gives us extra storage space, and the space behind the single seat is useful for storing the computer, TV, cushion, rucksack etc.

I notice that someone has asked about using the space between the left hand back door and the back of the washroom. We just push the electric hook-up cable reel , and the water hose and a tarpaulin for covering table & chairs outside into this space. Just be careful if you need to open the left door!

We found that when we slept with our heads against the side-opening door, there was a bit of a draught. So we now put a silvered car windscreen shade (£1 in Homebase) between the blind and the curtain. The press-studs on the curtain hold it in place. No more draughts.

To help reduce the weight in the van, we have removed the folding screen from the back of the washroom door. We have also taken out the larger table which was stored behind the long seat, as the small table is enough for us inside the van. We have bought a cheap lightweight folding picnic table which fits perfectly in the same space, so we now have an outside table as well.

I hope these ramblings are of some use to someone! smile!
Fiona
Fiona

Female

Auto-Sleeper : Symphony

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Storage & Weight reduction

Post by Waves117 on Sun Aug 14, 2011 8:06 pm

Hi Fiona

An excellent tutorial from Admin regarding how to post photos, click on the link below

http://www.autosleeper-ownersforum.com/t160-how-to-add-photos-to-your-posts

Good luck

Waves117 wave
Waves117
Donator
Donator

Female

Auto-Sleeper : TRIDENT

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Storage Bags Photos

Post by Fiona on Wed Aug 17, 2011 2:58 pm

Thank you Waves117 for the instructions for uploading photos. I'll have a go at posting photos of my seat storage bags ........... Here goes............ ! think_smiley_46

Well, I hope that worked! fingersx
Fiona
Fiona

Female

Auto-Sleeper : Symphony

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Waves117 on Wed Aug 17, 2011 3:55 pm

Fiona wrote:
Well, I hope that worked! fingersx
Fiona

Hi Fiona - it worked well - great idea for a seat storage bag -and it fits snuggly to the seat - brill up!

Waves117 wave
Waves117
Donator
Donator

Female

Auto-Sleeper : TRIDENT

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ASOF Staff on Wed Aug 17, 2011 4:56 pm

Excellent storage solution there Fiona, thanks for sharing good2

Staff Member
Staff Member

View user profile http://www.auto-sleeperownersgroup.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by roli on Wed Aug 17, 2011 10:49 pm

Good post. Many owners come up with some super ideas for storage and its great to share them particularly if it relates to a smaller van with limited storage.
It does amaze me though the number of people who remove and then dont use the supplied tables, mainly on the styrofoam bodies vans. Probably to to size and weight. (worth noting AS Marketing if you read this)

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Warwick Duo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum