How do I affix a Khyam Drive Away awning

View previous topic View next topic Go down

How do I affix a Khyam Drive Away awning

Post by Phil Sadler on Mon Jun 02, 2014 2:19 pm

Hi,
I have bought a Kyham Motordome drive away awning, can anyone help me with tips of how to fasten the awning to the side of my van please?

thanks

Phil Sadler
Phil Sadler

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Topaz

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: How do I affix a Khyam Drive Away awning

Post by rose49f on Mon Jun 02, 2014 4:17 pm

There are many ways. Your best bet is to go to the Kyham web page. I have a J rail fitted on the side of my van. I then use the figure of eight strips and clamp the awning to the rail. Very hard to find J rails now but I noticed one on ebay the other day.  I had a C rail on my last van but found the J rail much easier to fit the awning to.
Hope this link works as down the bottom are all ways you can fit an awning

http://www.khyam.co.uk/detail.asp?p=203144&product=Motordome Classic PACKAGE OFFER      look here
rose49f
Donator
Donator

Female

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo ES

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by gareth111278 on Thu Aug 07, 2014 9:12 am

I have C rail on mine & bought 2 figure '8' strips & a narrow fabric adaptor strip with awing bead both sides, this slides into the C rail then I just slide the two figure 8 strips in & out to attach / detach.

https://www.facebook.com/eviethemotorhome
gareth111278

Male

Auto-Sleeper : talisman

View user profile https://www.facebook.com/eviethemotorhome

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold on Thu Aug 07, 2014 10:16 am

If you have beading on your awning, you only need the figure of 8 strips. Slide the 8's onto the beading on the awning and then simply clip the 8's to either a J rail or C rail.

Donator
Donator

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by rendene on Sun Oct 05, 2014 1:37 pm

I also have a kyat awning ann found that setting up the first is ok the problem comes when you want take your van out., when you return it s a job getting back in
Exactly the right place hence we no longer fix it to the van but leave it free standing
rendene

Auto-Sleeper : legend h reg

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by rose49f on Sun Oct 05, 2014 8:42 pm

It's the same with all drive away awnings. You just have to mark where the side and front of the wheels nearest the awning are and get back in the same place.  More you do it easier it is .

broomstick broomstick
rose49f
Donator
Donator

Female

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by daisy mae on Sun Oct 26, 2014 12:48 pm

My figure of 8s would not go on the C rail without the Kador strip, which I still have as I never used them,  sold my awning,when I sold my Topaz,  couldn`t see how the 8`s  would go on the C rail. The 3metre kador was sold with 8`s
daisy mae
Donator
Donator

Female

Auto-Sleeper : Anniversary Clubman

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Paul 300358 on Sun Oct 26, 2014 4:48 pm

I always put a peg in the ground next to the off side wheels. When returning to the site I wind the drivers window down and reverse so that the wheels are back in the same place next to the pegs.
Paul 300358
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Symbol

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by rose49f on Sun Oct 26, 2014 5:06 pm

Paul 300358 wrote:I always put a peg in the ground next to the off side wheels. When returning to the site I wind the drivers window down and reverse so that the wheels are back in the same place next to the pegs.

Better idea than mine Paul especially when you're on your own.
allthumbz
rose49f
Donator
Donator

Female

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold on Sun Oct 26, 2014 5:35 pm

daisy mae wrote:My figure of 8s would not go on the C rail without the Kador strip, which I still have as I never used them,  sold my awning,when I sold my Topaz,  couldn`t see how the 8`s  would go on the C rail. The 3metre kador was sold with 8`s

The C rail (or J rail) needs to be higher than the tunnel connecting strip so that the figure of 8 pulls down against the rail.
Paulmold
Donator
Donator

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by daisy mae on Sun Oct 26, 2014 6:23 pm

Paul how does the figure 8 go in to a channel,?  confused0 all the folks that I know . also on other forums, also saw them on campsites,  use the kador and fig 8 ,and are usually sold together, the Kador stays in the channel had two awning end stops to stop the wind moving  a sun canopy  along the channel,  when leaving the site just pull the figure 8`s out, leave Kador strip on the van,  I tried mine out on the drive and it worked well, I sold the awning as it wouldn`t fit my Clubman , don`t know why I kept the Kador and 8`s as I will not use them, have a Fiamma 45S
daisy mae
Donator
Donator

Female

Auto-Sleeper : Anniversary Clubman

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sunbeampizza on Tue Dec 02, 2014 2:34 pm

By far the easiest way to fix the Kyham to the van canopy is to extend the canopy out for about one metre and insert the figure of eight into the groove in the leading edge of the canopy, Then erect the kyham tent but do not peg it down. Walk it right up to the canopy which gives you plenty of slack to easily thread the tent into the figure of eight. Then rewind the canopy all the way back. Walk the tent back until the tunnel is nice and tight and peg it all down. This method never fails and we can get the tent up in 10 minutes. If you don't have an awning the same principle will apply to fixing onto a rain channel etc. If the van is to be used, however, it is a bit more difficult as the pegs will all need extracting first. We have found that the Kayham is an excellent bit of kit of top quality and copes well in all weathers.
Sunbeampizza

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EK

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum