The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Washing up bowl wanted !

+4
rogerblack
johnnybee
Peter Brown
Quilter
8 posters

Go down

Washing up bowl wanted ! Empty Washing up bowl wanted !

Post by Quilter Fri May 16, 2014 6:14 pm

This seems a very trivial problem but I can't find a washing up bowl small enough, or the right oblong shape, to fit into the sink of our new Broadway.  The sink has a glass lid so the bowl must be no taller than 13 cm if the lid is to close with the bowl in place.  My current bowl is round and won't fit at all.  I've tried the Outwell silicone folding one but that is ever so slightly too big all round ( as well as being rather expensive).

Can any kind person point me in the right direction please ? 

Q
Quilter
Quilter
Donator
Donator

Female

Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EK TB LP
Vehicle Year : 2014

Back to top Go down

Washing up bowl wanted ! Empty Re: Washing up bowl wanted !

Post by Peter Brown Fri May 16, 2014 6:24 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

This is what we have in our Malvern. I think you have the sink without drainer so I don't know if it will fit yours.

Peter

Peter #1
Peter Brown
Peter Brown
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 71
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EB
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by Quilter Fri May 16, 2014 6:37 pm

Thanks Peter: It's so irritating when a seller doesn't put the dimensions on their website. We've got to find one that will fit a space 36 x 27 x 13 cm.  I'll contact them to ask as that is a good price and colour choice.
Quilter
Quilter
Donator
Donator

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by johnnybee Fri May 16, 2014 6:50 pm

They do:
PLASTIC WASHING UP BOWL SQUARE
STRONG BUT LIGHT WEIGHT PLASTIC
SIZE = 29CM SQUARE X 13CM HEIGHT
PLEASE CHOOSE COLOR OF YOUR CHOICE

FAST & FREE POSTAGE

Male

Member Age : 42
Auto-Sleeper : VW trooper

Back to top Go down

Post by Quilter Fri May 16, 2014 7:01 pm

Doh ! We've only got 27 cm width so ever so slightly too wide.

Many thanks though, I didn't find that and you've saved me much scrabbling around to find my e-bay password without which I can't contact them.

Q
Quilter
Quilter
Donator
Donator

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by rogerblack Fri May 16, 2014 10:25 pm

Just curious (killed the cat!) as to why you need a washing up bowl to fit in the sink??

If we wash up in the van, we wash up in the sink.   

We used to carry a large washing up bowl in a cupboard, to carry dishes to the sinks, if using the site facilities, however we have now bought a couple of natty collapsible canvas buckets which our local Robert Dyas store were selling off for £3 each.

rogerblack
rogerblack
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 68
Auto-Sleeper : Pollensa/Boxer2.8HDi
Vehicle Year : 2002

Back to top Go down

Post by Quilter Fri May 16, 2014 10:38 pm

Lots of reasons really Roger. I tend to wash up as I cook ( my only instance of being organised and tidy !) and you can't drain anything into the sink if it is full of water. I also have an absolute ban on putting any water that's drained from rice, pasta or boiled eggs into the tank as it's the quickest way to make it smelly, so that water goes in the bowl to wait until it can be got rid of elsewhere if possible. 

Also, from bitter experience, I find that the satin-finish stainless steel rapidly stops being both stainless and unscratched and the best way to avoid this is to use a plastic bowl to wash up in. Fewer things get broken by being clashed against a metal surface too. We don't use site facilities much, especially in wet or cold weather, so tend to wash up in the van usually. We do have a bucket to take things to the sinks in or, more often, use the washing up bowl and a tea tray with a bit of non-slip matting for draining onto.

I've also never found sink plugs, as supplied for van sinks, stay in when you are washing up. They come out and so you lose all your precious hot soapy water.

Looks like I might have to learn new tricks however if I can't find a bowl !

Q
Quilter
Quilter
Donator
Donator

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by rogerblack Fri May 16, 2014 11:18 pm

OK, I get it now!

Agree with taking care over what gets drained into waste tank - we used to use a spare plastic bowl; now one of the natty little canvas buckets will do.

We have an enamel sink and draining board so that doesn't scratch.

The little sink plug that came with the van was rubbish.  Just as you got a nice hot soapy sinkful of water, it decided to come out.  We've since tried several replacements and this is the best universal one, which is also handy for campsite sinks with no plug (we bought a few since SOMEONE has a habit of leaving them behind!): 

All good fun!

rogerblack
rogerblack
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Quilter Sat May 17, 2014 6:05 am

Looks a useful plug Roger.

About the canvas bucket...I bought a garden centre folding canvas bucket in a bag some time ago and we've carried it with us- just in case ! - but never used it. Does it clean up well after all the smelly water you put in and how long does it take to dry after use and before folding up ? Is the handle OK for carrying a bucket full of water any distance ?
Quilter
Quilter
Donator
Donator

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Traficlady Sat May 17, 2014 7:56 am

In the cheap shops (Poundland, Home Bargains etc) you can buy mats for £1.99, like the non-slip ones you put in the bath, for putting in the bottom of the sink.

I also like to use a washing up bowl in the van but keep it in the corner by the back doors, or in the shower, when I'm not using it.

Also they do towelling-covered mats for draining which I also find useful in the van.

Nora

Female

Member Age : 76
Auto-Sleeper : None
Vehicle Year : None

Back to top Go down

Post by Quilter Sat May 17, 2014 9:34 am

Thanks Nora. I think this is the way we will have to go though I'll keep looking in the hope of finding something small enough. I think the washing up bowl is going to have to travel in the shower room or, perhaps, I'll treat myself to a folding one and it can squash into a cupboard.

We're just about to go off on our first trip in the new van so I'll see how we go.

Q
Quilter
Quilter
Donator
Donator

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by rogerblack Sat May 17, 2014 2:51 pm

Here's a link to the folding buckets we bought:

They are more rigid than the canvas ones, they stand up on their own no problem even when not full but they still fold flat so take up very little room when stored.  The inside is lined with a waterproof coating, the top ring and base are plastic.

Although we got them for £3 each as a clearance bargain, I'd still happily pay £5 for them if I needed more.

They'll also be ideal for use as bait/catch buckets on my little boat. 
                                                                                               fishing

EDIT:  Just found a couple of cheaper sources for the same thing:

rogerblack
rogerblack
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by art Sat May 17, 2014 9:01 pm

Off subject but- I have never seen a washing up bowl anywhere other than in the UK.
I heard that many years ago the idea was marketed globally ,but did not "catch on" , maybe an urban myth.
art
art

Male

Member Age : 76
Auto-Sleeper : Duetto

Back to top Go down

Post by Doris Sat May 17, 2014 10:35 pm

Hi
This might help you

A round fabric one could be used to line your bowl and would let you lift it out when you need to pour water down the sink and also let you strain the dishwashing water thro a strainer.
Louise
Doris
Doris
Donator
Donator

Female

Member Age : 77
Auto-Sleeper : Executive
Vehicle Year : 1992

Back to top Go down

Post by Quilter Sat May 17, 2014 10:49 pm

Doris wrote:Hi
This might help you

A round fabric one could be used to line your bowl and would let you lift it out when you need to pour water down the sink and also let you strain the dishwashing water thro a strainer.
Louise
Thanks you very much. One on there- from Peak accessories- looks just the job and will fit. £1.99 as well ! I'll send for one next week. They've got some other good stuff too !

Thanks Rogerblack; worth knowing that the buckets are useful. I think we'll have to start using ours.

I've seen washing up bowls being used by Germans and Dutch but big ones that are more useful for carrying things to sinks than for washing up in so I suppose strictly not washing up bowls...if you see what I mean. I shall keep my eyes open.

Again, thanks all for you help.

Q
Quilter
Quilter
Donator
Donator

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by daisy mae Sun May 18, 2014 5:26 pm

Mine is 26.5cm diameter x 10cm high,  had it my my Topaz, now I have room for a larger one, I bought it from a caravan /motorhome dealer.

I never use the washing up facilities on site, can do it in comfort, rather than traipse about. why have a sink if you don`t use it, plus some folk leave bits/food behind after they have finished ukk, not me thank you.

Dr. Seuss
daisy mae
daisy mae
Donator
Donator

Female

Auto-Sleeper : Hampshire Topaz
Vehicle Year : 2008 98

Back to top Go down

Post by Quilter Sat May 24, 2014 6:45 pm

Just an update after our shake-down trip: I was fussing too early ! Our existing washing up bowl sits neatly in the Broadway sink for washing up and then travelled under the bucket in the bathroom. I do like the small chrome draining rack which hangs off the glass sink cover. That, in addition to the grey plastic draining board, is a much more sensible answer to dish draining than we had in our last van.

Incidentally, we went to Broadway and, browsing in the excellent ironmongers on the Oxford Road ( Cotswolds Building Supplies I think it was called ) came across the very small £1.99 washing up bowls mentioned above.

I agree daisy mae that you sometimes get grot left in the sinks but, in summer anyway, you can't beat a good gossip over the washing up ! You meet some nice people and it's useful to exchange information. It's a different matter on a winter night or in wet weather and then I am glad we are completely self-contained.

Thank you everyone for your help and information.

Q
Quilter
Quilter
Donator
Donator

Female

Back to top Go down