Dog in Topaz?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Dog in Topaz?

Post by JPCoetzee on Sun May 11, 2014 2:26 pm

My wife and I are about to adopt an 8-month old rescue dog. She's quite small.

How do you manage with dogs? Where do they sit while you're driving? Where do they sleep at night in a little motorhome?

Any recommendations for suitable travel baskets?

many thanks
JPCoetzee

Male

Member Age : 55
Auto-Sleeper : Topaz (2000)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Dog in Topaz?

Post by Paulwest55 on Sun May 11, 2014 3:12 pm

Hi we have a Lancashire healer who is three ,she travels in a small cat basket secure inbeteen the jump seat and sofa,very happy and safe .we have a lead that fixes to the tow bar at the front on site outside and inside the van a duetto similar sized to Topaz she uses her basket during the day and at night but can usually be found chilling on the drivers seat.
Caz
Paulwest55
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 62
Auto-Sleeper : Duetto

View user profile http://www.our-duetto.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Traficlady on Mon May 12, 2014 8:31 am

My dog has a small crate but, being just the two of us, the crate sits on the passenger seat. She travels on there so she can see what's going on and I swivel the seat round when we're on site. I make the whole bed up at night as a double and the crate just stays on the seat. I think that side of the bed would still be long enough for a person as long as they're not 6ft 5!! The crate does actually fit between the two front seats if I need the space. It's the small Argos crate but I'm not sure they haven't changed the sizes recently.

If we go out in my friend's van while we're away, I put the crate behind the gap between the seats so she's close to us and she's quite happy down there.

On site, I have a 6ft training lead which I attach to the bar under the passenger seat and have the side sliding door open so she can come and go and still be under control.

Nora
Traficlady

Female

Member Age : 69
Auto-Sleeper : None
Vehicle Year : None

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by davela on Mon May 12, 2014 9:26 am

My wife and I have a Border Collie and had our first night in our Topaz just recently. The dog has a travel harness which is padded and clips to a seat belt. We attach this to the belt for the seat by the sliding door and he sits/lays on his bed behind the front seats. Like other replies above, we have a long lead if he's outside while parked up and would attach that to the front/rear towing eyes or the side of the van if the sliding door was open.
At night, he finds it cramped with the beds made up as 2 singles as he only just fits between them and can't turn round, so (against our normal house rules) he was allowed on the beds. Next time we'll probably make it up as a double and have a bit more room for the 3 of us!
Although it was a bit tight with all of us in there, it worked OK - just needs a little organisation.

Cheers, Dave
davela

Male

Member Age : 48
Auto-Sleeper : 1999 Topaz

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by johnnybee on Mon May 12, 2014 12:46 pm

we have a pug who loves the van and will soon be getting another pug!

Hogan travels on a bean bag by the fridge just behind the front seats, the bean bag supports him really well and he loves it!

At night he sleeps in the foot well on the passenger side, also on his bean bag. in fact,we now use his bean bag at home as his bed as he loves it so much. 

As a backup we also carry a fold up fabric dog crate should we need it.

Male

Member Age : 36
Auto-Sleeper : VW trooper

View user profile

Back to top Go down

dog in topaz

Post by baileyboy42 on Mon May 12, 2014 1:31 pm

Hi i am new to posting,
We have a topaz, we travel around with a large donkey of a rottweiler, when travelling he is harnessed to the side opening seat by a lead attached
to the seatbelt, he can just stand between the two front seats. this he loves, at night i have to say he shares the bed not good but we all fit in nicely.
baileyboy42

Male

Member Age : 56
Auto-Sleeper : topaz

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Ann B on Tue May 13, 2014 10:09 am

Our our small dog travels in a harness on the third seat in out Topaz and settles down for a nap as soon as we fasten her in.  At home she sleeps in a crate but as that's not practical in a small van she shares the double bed when away.  Did try training her to sleep in the seat filler at the bottom and makeup the beds as singles but she wasn't happy so it's the double and she tucks in down the middle, usually behind my knees.  
Here's a photo of her on the M5 last month (I wasn't driving).
Ann B
Donator
Donator

Female

Member Age : 67
Auto-Sleeper : Topaz

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by davela on Tue May 13, 2014 2:35 pm

That's the same setup we use with our collie while traveling, but he lays on the floor with the seat belt running round the front of the seat box as he's too big to stay on the seat.

Dave
davela

Male

Member Age : 48
Auto-Sleeper : 1999 Topaz

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by JPCoetzee on Wed May 14, 2014 10:47 am

Thanks for all the advice! Didn't know about doggie seat belts. Can't believe you have a Rottie in your Topaz, baileyboy42. Must get busy in there!
JPCoetzee

Male

Member Age : 55
Auto-Sleeper : Topaz (2000)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Ann B on Wed May 14, 2014 12:51 pm

The seat belt is the normal one.  We got a 'good' harness from Pets at Home and this has a loop of webbing that you slot the seat belt through.  Very secure and safe and it has a d ring on it do you can attach the lead if you go for a walk.  Had a lighter weight safety harness first but it wasn't very strong and she couldn't change position very well, this is much better.
Ann B
Donator
Donator

Female

Member Age : 67
Auto-Sleeper : Topaz

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by fioroe on Thu Jun 19, 2014 9:09 pm

We used to camp with 2 adults,2 children & a greyhound in a Mk1 Transit pop top autosleeper for 3 weeks touring the west country!! Kids were in hammocks in the roof, we had a double bed made across the width of the van, as there wasnt room for the dog on the bed she was happy to sleep curled up on the passenger seat or on a blanket by the fridge. 

We now have a Talbot talisman with plenty of room & am afraid to say that our springer spaniel starts off on the front seat & ends up on the bed.

Dont use a dog harness on the front passenger seat as i did when travelling alone with the dog...i was on the M11 & suddenly losing power with no acceleration & then realised the dog had slid off the seat & knocked the van out of gear!!! hugegrins  was a relief not to need the AA but she now is tied to one of the rear seat belts to her padded car harness
Fiona
fioroe
Donator
Donator

Female

Member Age : 54
Auto-Sleeper : Talbot Talisman

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Swansea Jac on Sat Jun 21, 2014 8:48 am

Our lurcher travels on a crate (with a folded duvet in it for her comfort) The crate is folded when we arrive, and stowed under the van  Our previous dog, a Staffi X,  always travelled in a canvas folding kennel, but this little rescue dog ate that the first time she used it, (she was then 8 months old and very insecure) which is why we bought the metal crate from Pets At Home.  Since I always use it in my car too, she is used to it and loves it so much that sometimes she prefers to stay in it, even when the door is open.  The folded duvet acts as her bed in the van, but like others on here, we find she often ends the night curled up on our feet.  Enjoy your rescue dog!
Swansea Jac
Donator
Donator

Female

Member Age : 78
Auto-Sleeper : Legend
Vehicle Year : 2000

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum