Preferring a local dealer

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Preferring a local dealer

Post by Guest on Thu May 08, 2014 9:20 pm

We have an Inca, which we like. However, I get the feeling it won't be too long before we are looking for a bit more space. It will need to be a used model.
We have a good sized A/S dealer within 30 miles, and would ideally like to buy from them. However, waiting for the right used model to turn up at one specific dealer could take forever. So I wondered, if we found a model we wanted hundreds of miles away, would our local dealer buy it for us, and then we buy it from them? Obviously with a financial implication, but we bought the Inca from a dealer 200 miles away, and won't do it again.
Hypothetical at present, but has anybody done this?

Sorry, posted in wrong place. How can it be moved to Miscellaneous?

Last edited by candapack on Thu May 08, 2014 9:24 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : posted in wrong place)

Back to top Go down

Re: Preferring a local dealer

Post by Peter Brown on Thu May 08, 2014 9:54 pm

Moved.

You are right about being near the dealer but I've never heard of the suggestion you make being implemented. I think you would end up paying a premium on the transaction that was far more than the cost and trouble of visiting a distant dealer.

We had and EL Inca and moved up to the Wilton as it was exactly(ish) the same layout but 3' longer. We loved the Wilton but fell for the convenience of a fixed bed and actually a more usable space to entertain in on rallies.

Peter

Peter #1
Peter Brown
Staff Member
Staff Member

Male

Member Age : 65
Auto-Sleeper : Malvern
Vehicle Year : October 2011

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by boxerman on Thu May 08, 2014 10:21 pm

We bought our Symphony from Marquis at Preston, but the van we wanted (and bought) was in another Marquis branch. We were asked for a refundable deposit of £1000 and they brought the van to the Preston depot for us to inspect on the agreement that if the van did not come up to our expectations, we would get our deposit back.

This was over 10 years ago though and much water has passed under the bridge. Don't know if Marquis would still do this.

Frank
boxerman
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 70
Auto-Sleeper : '95 Symphony
Vehicle Year : 1995

View user profile http://www.rtmr.org

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Thu May 08, 2014 10:22 pm

Hi there
A much simpler and cost effective method would simply be to ask you local A/S dealer to find you the van you are after. Most dealers have connections with some others and trade vans between themselves. If you are spending a reasonable amount of money they should be keen to help.

John

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Thu May 08, 2014 10:41 pm

On Frank's line Marquis currently provide the following service for £250......
"BUY - COLLECT - SERVICE
A MOTORHOME OR CARAVAN AT ANY ONE OF OUR NATIONWIDE BRANCHES
Through an integrated computer system, all vehicle information is readily available across our sales teams at every branch. If you see a motorhome or caravan on this website and would like to view it in person we will arrange to have the vehicle available for you to view at your nearest branch.*"

* Subject to a fully refundable deposit of £250 if the vehicle is at a branch other than your nearest one.

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Brown on Fri May 09, 2014 6:30 am

I think its nearly 200 miles from Candapack to the nearest Marquis.

Peter

Peter #1
Peter Brown
Staff Member
Staff Member

Male

Member Age : 65
Auto-Sleeper : Malvern
Vehicle Year : October 2011

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ubuntu1 on Fri May 09, 2014 7:37 am

Dealers move vehicles around all of the time. Speak to your local dealer and they will try and source a vehicle for you.

Male

Member Age : 55
Auto-Sleeper : M/H engineer

View user profile http://www.chatsworth-service.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri May 09, 2014 7:18 pm

Thanks for all the replies. Lots of good advice, as usual.
I think I will speak to our nearest dealer, and find out what they are prepared to do.

Cheers,

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Mon May 26, 2014 8:29 pm

candapack wrote:Thanks for all the replies. Lots of good advice, as usual.
I think I will speak to our nearest dealer, and find out what they are prepared to do.

Cheers,

A quick update. I was in at the local dealer a couple of days ago, and had a chat with a salesman.
What they would be prepared to do is - absolutely nothing. As far as used vans are concerned, if it's not on their forecourt, they're not interested.
Seems a bit short sighted to me, but hey ho. shrugg

Back to top Go down

Post by ubuntu1 on Mon May 26, 2014 8:50 pm

That's a rubbish response - I suggest that you find a better dealer.

Male

Member Age : 55
Auto-Sleeper : M/H engineer

View user profile http://www.chatsworth-service.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Mon May 26, 2014 9:07 pm

I think that tells you all you need to know about you local dealer. Suggest you would be better off looking further a field for someone who will be more supportive.

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum