ELAN VALLEY - ELAN OAKS CAMP SITE

View previous topic View next topic Go down

ELAN VALLEY - ELAN OAKS CAMP SITE

Post by journeyman on Sun Apr 27, 2014 3:09 pm

Just thought i'd quickly flag up this site and general area. www.elanoaks.co.uk   Just a couple of miles south of Rhayadar. Ten mins walk from the Elan Valley Visitors centre.

We've just stayed there from Thurs - Sun. The whole area is so quiet, its almost like having the lake district to yourself. What we also liked was the abundance of cycle/footpaths, many of which are flat, so suitable for all ages and abilities. 

The campsite has a C+C CL for members, Additionally also 12 H/S pitches with Water/EHU/SAT/TV and Ethernet….also free Wifi. £20Pn, which is what we selected. This also includes 3 x Toilet suites with shower/sink/toilet. Very clean and secure…keypad entry. On Saturday night only two vans on the super pitches, which is a bit bizarre, the area is so nice. The site is directly alongside the cycleway/footpath so great for dog walkers etc. Across the fairly quiet road is the Elan Hotel.

Once you start walking the lakes and dams, the views are stunning….with an abundance of wildlife. You can also quickly get up into the more exposed high ground, if that suits. Lots of pics on the blog…But either way…a great area for motor homers. Highly recommended.

3G MIFI worked ok on the site
3G iPhone Patchy
No Freeview…other than the campsite connection…Be aware its a male connection. So you may need a female double joint. 
Free Wifi is ok…but might be slow dependant on occupancy

Finally, quick question…Ethernet? How does that work in a motorhome? Don't think my macbook has that connection?

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Symbol 2008

View user profile http://www.motorhomedreamer.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Re: ELAN VALLEY - ELAN OAKS CAMP SITE

Post by Peter Brown on Sun Apr 27, 2014 3:33 pm

"◾ Ethernet port: If you connect to the Internet without Wi-Fi, you probably have a modem or router connected to your computer's Ethernet port. If your Mac doesn't have an Ethernet port but you need one, you can use the Apple USB Ethernet Adapter."

Looking at their web site and guessing; they have an internet router connected via cable to each pitch and you have the ability to run a cable from your device to that connection. Its a lot quicker and reliable than most wifi connections but I've never heard of a campsite having it before.

As you can see from the extract above, if your apple device does not have an Ethernet port you can get an adaptor.

I don't expect anyone coming to the site had an Ethernet cable, never mind a long one (although the site might supply them) so they have now added a wifi router (all relevant pages refer to Ethernet but only the home page to wifi)

Irrespective it sounds like a good place to visit.

Peter

Peter #1
Peter Brown
Staff Member
Staff Member

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Malvern
Vehicle Year : October 2011

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by journeyman on Sun Apr 27, 2014 3:38 pm

Thanks Peter. I won't bother getting one of those if they are rarely seen. 

I also found the TV connection strange, I assume most vans have a male connector emerging from the van…so I was stumped when I went to try and plug it into the campsites box, only to find a male connection at that end as well!!

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Brown on Sun Apr 27, 2014 4:17 pm

You can get a selection of inline adaptors at B&Q and TV aerial shops.

Peter

Peter #1
Peter Brown
Staff Member
Staff Member

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Malvern
Vehicle Year : October 2011

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by bertb on Wed Apr 30, 2014 12:42 pm

Here's a thing. On the subject of broadband:

Bandwidth Limit Exceeded
The server is temporarily unable to service your request due to the site owner reaching his/her bandwidth limit. Please try again later.
www.elanoaks.co.uk

Just tried it…..
bertb

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Dorset
Vehicle Year : 2013

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by journeyman on Wed Apr 30, 2014 12:46 pm

Think there's reviews on Camping UK. You can also phone direct to book.

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by bertb on Wed Apr 30, 2014 1:11 pm

Yes it looks good. Lots of availability, apparently. I am looking for somewhere to go in May, thanks journeyman…..
bertb

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Dorset
Vehicle Year : 2013

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by journeyman on Tue Aug 26, 2014 9:42 am

Just had a few more days on this site, excellent as usual. Used the hotel across the road….Nice bar, wooden floors, leather settees ect. Had a meal in there. Best of all(for us), well behaved dogs allowed.

I quite fancy a couple of nights on here in the depths of winter this year. It's flat, H/S with all facilities. The walks are directly off the site, so if theres a break in the weather, we can have a stroll. I would imagine it will be deserted off-season.

Will see what the pricing is like.

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Bertie Bassett on Thu Aug 28, 2014 11:02 pm

journeyman wrote:Just had a few more days on this site, excellent as usual. Used the hotel across the road….Nice bar, wooden floors, leather settees ect. Had a meal in there. Best of all(for us), well behaved dogs allowed.

I quite fancy a couple of nights on here in the depths of winter this year. It's flat, H/S with all facilities. The walks are directly off the site, so if theres a break in the weather, we can have a stroll. I would imagine it will be deserted off-season.

Will see what the pricing is like.

Thanks for the update, it's a place we've visited but have never stayed. This winter we shall stay as it sounds like our sort of site.

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Broadway
Vehicle Year : 2015

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum