Well there's a fine how do you do

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Well there's a fine how do you do

Post by nevergiveup on Tue May 13, 2014 4:23 pm

Jaytee wrote:  up! and yes the 'travellers' do have rather a lot to answer for.

I think as my experience grows parking will become easier.

We arrived at a New Forest site ( C&CC run) only to find the "SITE FULL" sign displayed.  We could see from the entrance that it was almost empty inside!!  We asked the staff on duty if they were fully booked and they replied" Oh no, we just put the sign up to stop the travellers"  It avoids confrontation.    What a sad world!!

David
nevergiveup

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Autosleeper Devon 31

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by richardstubbs on Tue May 13, 2014 8:13 pm

rogerblack wrote:Deterring travellers is the standard excuse for height barriers here in the UK. It's interesting how you can travel throughout France where you would imagine the Aires would be a target for 'travellers' but so far I've not seen any being occupied by them.

Some friends who live in France told us they did have some descend on a local open space once.  The mayor issued an instruction to the local police chief to have his patrol cars 'test' their sirens whilst passing by every half-hour or so during the middle of the night. 
                  police 

The 'travellers' left after two days.

Here of course this would be considered an infringement of their ooman rights. Perhaps one day we'll take on board the rights of the majority, rather than all the minority groups.  But I won't hold my breath ...
                                                                            rolleyes

Well, the reason for that is that french 'municipalités' provide sites for travellers. Not manky bits of wasteland, but actually frequently as good as if not better than the 'aires de camping-car, and with a sanitation bulding more often than not. You'll see them signposted sometimes as 'aire de gens de voyage'. That's why they don't take over car parks and aires. But the French still put piles of gravel and boulders in laybys just like here, to stop travellers taking over. And it's a pain for everyone else just the same as here.

But when it comes down to it, if you're not someone like us, then one person living in a thing with wheels is much the same as the next. Nothing to do with the original topic though, sorry. I agree that the site owner in the original posting is obviously a fool, and thanks - we won't stay there.
richardstubbs

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Rapport
Vehicle Year : 1988

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Quilter on Wed May 14, 2014 8:33 pm

We've noticed over the years that more and more French supermarkets are putting in height barriers. I always go in an ask why and invariably am told that it is because of les gens du passage. When I ask if they have problems with travellers I am usually told that no, they don't, but they know supermarkets that have had trouble ! They can't usually name one however.

In winter, autumn and spring anyway many Europeans municipals are kept going by the travellers- for which they were set up originally - as they work for the municipality and so need to be accommodated.  They are interesting to chat to and, if you can wangle a look in their vans, they are beautifully kept and decorated. 

Q
Quilter

Female

Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EK TB LP
Vehicle Year : 2014

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by garyg on Fri Jun 27, 2014 3:07 pm

I've looked on the caravan and camping CL website but can't find 'The Paddock' am I looking on the wrong site or has it been removed ?
garyg

Male

Auto-Sleeper : VW Clubman GL

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Swansea Jac on Fri Jun 27, 2014 3:28 pm

I looked it up under its own name and found that it was an award winner a couple of years ago, and also that the owner is also the local pub landlord.  It does state that advance booking is required, though     http://thepaddockrutlandwater.co.uk/
Swansea Jac
Donator
Donator

Female

Auto-Sleeper : Legend
Vehicle Year : 2000

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by garyg on Fri Jun 27, 2014 5:41 pm

Thanks Jac, it does looks really good. We are newbies at motorhoming so want a friendly welcome !! Thanks for the link and info.
garyg

Male

Auto-Sleeper : VW Clubman GL

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Dutto on Sat Jun 28, 2014 1:34 am

Hi there,

I missed this one on the original Post; we were in France at the time which may tell you something!  up!  up! 

I can't understand anyone in business turning away a paying customer but, like Frank, we haven't had a problem with abusive campsite owners either.

Maybe it's the way you approach people?  Whistle1   Whistle1 

Best regards,
 drinksallround 

PS

With regard to "travellers" in France:

1.  The major cities and towns have many sites specifically designed for travellers with toilet blocks, water, power and regular refuse collection.

2.  Travellers are not allowed on the municipal aires and would be rapidly moved on by the gendarmes if a group arrived.

3.  There are a large number of "illicit sites" tucked away in the countryside where they are left alone if they don't cause too much of a problem.  (Never forget that France is many times larger that the UK, much less populated on a "person per square mile" basis and apparently a lot more tolerant of travellers than we are.)

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Duetto

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Quilter on Sat Jun 28, 2014 10:32 am

I'd take issue with you about the French being more tolerant about travellers than we are ! Talk to some of the locals and you will be told what they think of them !

We use municipal sites a lot - what few there are now as they are being bought out by private chains- and, although you will always find travellers on them, as I said above, in low season, they do cause conflict in some places. As an example,we were at Langres two years ago when the site gave us all notice for the next day as the only means they had of moving off the larger than expected number of travellers who had turned up. All were working in town and most had pre-booked but space for tourists- more lucrative ?- was limited because friends and relatives turned up too.  

There is an excellent traveller site just next to the C&CC site in Oxford but it is always full to bursting and has juts been extended, yet again. 
Q
Quilter

Female

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Dutto on Sat Jun 28, 2014 1:55 pm

Quilter wrote:………. Talk to some of the locals and you will be told what they think of them !

………….
Er ….. for 25 years we have more or less been "locals" in Severac 44530, France!  up! 

Just like the UK, the general population of France don't like "travellers"; but they don't like "foreigners" either (especially the English)! Whistle1 

Thankfully they tolerate us and there is a huge difference between "tolerating" something and "liking" something!  wave  wave 

Best regards,
 drinksallround

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Duetto

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Quilter on Sat Jun 28, 2014 5:17 pm

I suspect that things will only get more difficult in France however.

As more and more municipal sites are taken over by private companies or close because the municipality want the land for houses, as more and more people take to camping for their holidays, as more and more Europeans - including the French- take holidays outside the narrow few weeks in high summer, then there will be less municipals willing to take traveller groups in the off season.  

Many sites can make a lot more money selling or renting their plots to semi-permanent caravanners or using the land for chalets or renting to the big Eurocamping type operations. The municipals used to charge travelers less than they charge tourists and that way make enough to keep employees on all year. They don't need to do this anymore...so where will the travelers go ?

Clearly the French supermarket chains are preparing for possible problems.

Q
Quilter

Female

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum