Shurflo Water Pump

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Shurflo Water Pump

Post by Tallboy on Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:14 am

Morning All,

For the last few months the water pump in my Clubman GL has been getting noisier, and for the last few weeks I've had suspicions that the pressure switch has been on the blink- the water flow has only started 10 seconds or so after opening the tap. The original pump was a Shurflo Trail King 7, 16psi, model no 2095-204-114, but this is no longer available. The closest match I have found is the Trail King 7, 20psi, model no 2095-204-112, available from Leisure Accesories Direct, £46.95, plus P+P:
http://www.leisureshopdirect.com/caravan/home/product_27889/shurflo_trail_king_7_pump_20psi_12v.aspx

At that price I decided to replace the whole thing rather than mess about stripping it and fitting a service kit- it is 15yrs old after all!
Replacing the pump was dead easy- took about 40 minutes, most of which was removing and replacing the sliding seat behind the driver's seat. The pump is held in place with 4 screws, there are 2 wires and 2 water pipes, inlet and outlet, to disconnect/reconnect. The outlet pipe fitting is a simple plastic nut, hand tight, and the inlet is via an in-line strainer which is best removed by undoing  a jubilee clip. There was minimal spillage when disconnecting the pipes, but I would suggest a poly bag or small baking tray underneath to catch any drips.
The new pump is almost silent and delivers a much better pressure at the taps or shower head. I've checked all the fittings I can see, and there is no sign of any leakage caused by the slight increase in pressure.

Hope thats of some use to someone,
Rich
Tallboy
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : '99 T4 Clubman GL

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Shurflo Water Pump

Post by Paulmold on Wed Apr 23, 2014 12:37 pm

Good post. That pump is the nearest match now available and I'm sure it will be fine.

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo ES

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Katj on Wed Apr 23, 2014 2:38 pm

Am I understanding this correctly if you want to access the water pump you have to dismantle the sliding seat on the offside ... only in the "Winterising" part of the user manual it tells you to take the pipes off the water pump to prevent frost damage ...

I have just been and looked and there seem to be a couple of screws holding a runner but I cannot get the draw to come out ... Do AS employ contortionists  confused3

Katj

Female

Auto-Sleeper : Executive 2001

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Tallboy on Thu Apr 24, 2014 3:09 pm

Hi Katj,

I've had the Clubman for 5 years now, and I am still impressed with the amount of thought that AS put into the design of their vehicles. As far as I know they are an equal opportunities employer, so they may employ some contortionists, but its quite easy to remove the O/S sliding seat. Remove the seat back, lift the seat itself from the rear (i.e under the window), and remove the 3 screws which are located along the front edge of the seat. Now you can remove the soft bit of the seat. Remove the 3 screws from either side of the seat base (i.e behind the driver's seat, and in front of the wardrobe panel) and the seat base will lift away revealing the water pump and water heater. Reassembly, as they say, is a simple reversal of this procedure. Just make sure that the sliding blocks are fully back, and that the seat base is located correctly before replacing the screws.

That said, to drain the van down for winter I just open all the drains (especially the water heater) and taps-  pump off, then when it appears to be fully drained I run the pump for  30 secs or so. I haven't suffered any frost damage at all, even in the harsh winters we had a couple of years ago. I think that taking the pipes off the pump is a bit excessive, but thats just my opinion.

Rich
Tallboy
Donator
Donator

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Katj on Thu Apr 24, 2014 5:29 pm

Thanks Rich

I was not knocking the design of the A/S and I'm sorry if you thought that, if we did not like the design we would hardly have bought one.
The problem comes because our user manual for the Executive does not actually tell how to get to the pump, it does have a schematic of the water system but nothing to tell where anything is.
It is only that we have gone all over the van to find things that we have discovered the location of the pump and heater.
On ours some one has obviously had the bed off and the 'runners' just drop down if you undo the two screws holding them to the bed base, hence the contortionist remark as I could not see how to hold the runner and fix the back to it, fortunately I have a partner to help me when it happened, will have to source some correct replacements.
As you say you don't take the pipes off the pump and have had no trouble I will not bother to do that bit.
regards
Kat

Katj

Female

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold on Thu Apr 24, 2014 5:32 pm

I've certainly not come across anyone that goes as far as removing pipes off pumps, draining down as Rich (Tallboy) says should be sufficient.

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo ES

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Katj on Thu Apr 24, 2014 5:47 pm

I expect they were covering themselves.  The manual is dated 1999 so perhaps they have had a rethink since then.
Doing searches on here have sorted most of the queries I have come across.
Everything is working fine now and once Jezzy has her new cam belt, as I can find nothing in the service history to say she has ever had hers replaced, we will be up for our first trip in her.  hugegrins

Katj

Female

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Update

Post by Tallboy on Fri Apr 25, 2014 10:21 pm

Having replaced the original pump with a new one, I decided, out of idle curiosity, to strip the old one down. Uuurrgghhh! Its full of, erm, stuff! Slightly slimy, a bit gritty, but it cleans off readily, and on reassembling the pump it works perfectly and a lot quieter. So I now have a working spare. Jobs a good 'un!

Rich
Tallboy
Donator
Donator

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by molar on Mon Jun 23, 2014 9:47 pm

Hi Rich,
Thanks for the useful information, however I am a bit confused.  I have only recently bought my 98 Clubman but my water pump is under the sink. Did they change the location at some point? (mine has a small leak so am thinking of replacing).
Adrian
molar

Male

Auto-Sleeper : None

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Tallboy on Mon Jun 23, 2014 11:00 pm

Evening Adrian,

As far as I can see, AS have sited the water pump in various locations over the years, and I am not surpreised to see that yours is beneath the sink. Wherever it is, the pump is more than powerful enough to cope.
Just a thought- are you sure its the pump that leaks? It may be worth nipping up the unions either side of the pump before you consider replacng it. Finger-tight is sufficient- you don't need to get the wrench out. Mine were pretty loose before I removed the pump.

Rich
Tallboy
Donator
Donator

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by algy on Thu Jun 26, 2014 7:09 pm

Reading the o.p by Rich, I was wondering how noisy should a pump be, I certainly know when the pump in our Clubman is running, it runs well  but the thought of near silent sounds good...cheers..Algy
algy
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Clubman GL

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by mattpc on Tue Mar 22, 2016 10:37 pm

Waterpump on my 92 model is under the sink (behind the cupboard under the sink to be precise). They must have changed the design for the very late Clubmans.
mattpc

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Clubman 2.0 LPG

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by mattpc on Tue Mar 22, 2016 10:46 pm

Btw mine was leaking not from the connections but from the body  of the pump itself. A friend of mine took the pump apart and found all sorts of rubbish in there. We cleaned it out, he put it back together and I refitted it. Amazingly it has now been working ok. Think I might buy a new one to keep in the van for when it finally does snuff it. Changing the water pump is pretty simple. It took a while to safely take the cupboard and back of cupboard apart to access the area though.
mattpc

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Clubman 2.0 LPG

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by daisy mae on Tue Mar 22, 2016 11:09 pm

AS certainly moved the pumps about, mine is under the OS settee next to the wardrobe, very easy to get at just lift up the seat, lift off the  cover,  pump, battery and Zig charger in there.
daisy mae
Donator
Donator

Female

Auto-Sleeper : Anniversary Clubman

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum