Betty's roof

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Betty's roof

Post by Betty Bedford on Sun Apr 06, 2014 8:31 pm

ok so as you may or may not know poor old Betty's roof blew off in all of those high winds that we had. Well after a lot of trouble getting the joiner to actually make the wood up for us as the old bits were rotten we started work this weekend! we were a bit dubious about it and to be honest not to sure were to start, so we started by screwing the new bits of wood on to the hinges. This caused more trouble because as i pointed out a few weeks ago the hinges looked pretty rotten (but no one likes a know it all so i shall leave it there lol) so off we went to get a new hinge. Now the hinge was pot riveted on to the metal so we had to redo all of that. 

In the above photo is my glamorous assistant (aka my husband Matt) eyeing up the old hinge (see what i mean!) now below is the nice new bit of wood. As you can see the holes in the new hinge didn't match up to the old one so we had to make new ones.

so then we put the beam that joins the sections together in and flaps the roof down. We joined it to the one end bit of wood before placing it on in a giant 'T' see below.

then we connected that to the bit we just put in and screwed that in and put all the handles and fastenings on it again see below.

looking good yes! now things were going very well and pretty smooth and then we stopped for a cuppa and saw this.

Now the more observant of you with your specs on may notice that the back piece of wood is sitting higher that the front, now as we have never seen her with her roof off and her bare bits showing we presumed (hoped!) that this was how it was meant to be but oh sugar lumps it was not! as you can see when we put the roof on the top!

What happened was as the back piece of wood was severely rotten we presumed (which you should never do folks because you know what it makes of you) that the two pieces were the same hight, they are not, the back piece is about 1.5 inches lower than the front. So its back to the joiner with that and we shall resume progress when we get it back.  All in all its not been to hard of a job and we have surprised ourselves with it if only we had paid attention in the start we could have it done by now but never mind.
Betty Bedford

Female

Auto-Sleeper : Bedford CF

View user profile http://www.our-duetto.com/betty.html

Back to top Go down

Re: Betty's roof

Post by Dutto on Sun Apr 06, 2014 8:39 pm

Well done!! allthumbz  allthumbz 

Don't worry about the mistakes, we all have 20-20 hindsight and play "If only …..!" tap_fingers  tap_fingers 

Best regards,
 drinksallround

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Duetto

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Betty Bedford on Sun Apr 06, 2014 8:45 pm

Thanks I thought I would post what we have done because i tried looking for info on it myself but could not for love nor money find any, so i am hoping that this might inspire someone else to take up this or a similar challenge :)
Betty Bedford

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Betty's Mum on Sun Apr 06, 2014 10:37 pm

My Betty is really pleased to know that your Betty is getting lots of TLC. allthumbz
Betty's Mum

Female

Auto-Sleeper : VW T4 Trophy
Vehicle Year : 1995

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Roo on Mon Apr 07, 2014 11:32 am

Excellent work!
Great to see another CF getting the attention they deserve. I too have found it very difficult to find information. Fortunately, we live in a world with Google! Most of my finds are through there or on Ebay.
Will look forward to seeing the end results.  smile!
Roo

Male

Auto-Sleeper : SV100

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by daisy mae on Mon Apr 07, 2014 4:37 pm

Well done looking good.  up!
daisy mae
Donator
Donator

Female

Auto-Sleeper : Anniversary Clubman
Vehicle Year : Oct. 2003 VW 2.5 TDI

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Betty Bedford on Mon Apr 07, 2014 8:02 pm

Thanks everyone for your kind words ;)

Well Matt managed to get the wood to the joiner this morning and he got it done for us for we commenced work this afternoon! this is the new piece of wood in place.

DA Da Da!!!!! what a difference then we put the lid back on which felt very odd after being able to walk around inside without being bent double.

and then we braced out the top were we screwed it with some thin wood which is going to be fiber-glassed over to strengthen it out more.

and now all is finished; well for now, the next stage is to take it back to the bodywork guy to finish fiber-glassing it and paint it and then i am going to re carpet the roof as the old stuff was malting like a polar bear in the sahara. So all in all we should be kept busy and out of mischief for a while :)
Betty Bedford

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulwest55 on Mon Apr 07, 2014 8:30 pm

Great work, that's our girl!  allthumbz
Paulwest55
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Duetto

View user profile http://www.our-duetto.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Betty Bedford on Mon Apr 07, 2014 8:32 pm

Thank you Ma and Pa lol ;) xxx
Betty Bedford

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by SherpaSam on Tue Sep 16, 2014 11:30 pm

Is it done yet ??
Glad to see someone rebuilding one of these roofs, it was going to be my project for this summer as I wince every time I put mine up due to the rusted out hinge pins and rotten timbers holding it together; Luckily Phoebe (my 78 Sherpa) doesn't go very fast.

Unfortunately This Summer has been taken up with 20 feet of welding (was meant to be 2 feet for the Mot, but when I started, I discovered the entire side was screwed to a length of wood I thought was part of the seat, and once I'd taken out the filler, screws and wood, there was nothing joining the floor to the sill or either to the upper part of the body along the entire side :¬) and then Two engine changes as the 1.8 bmc diesel died of old age and Cornish hills, so I adapted a 2.0 de-turboed Montego engine (with no history)  to fit as I couldn't find a non-turbo Sherpa version, then one turned up just as the Montego engine was showing how knackered it really was and dying on me. Having just finished re-adapting everything to work with this engine (one week rather than the previous 4 ), I don't really think there's enough Summer left to risk taking the roof apart.
Perhaps I should stick a strap over it for the winter.
I can't see it on your pictures, but I assume your roof should have the rubber edging strip on the outer edge. Is yours still good, or are you thinking of replacing it ? Mine's pretty rotten and I don't think it'll come off and go back without copious amounts of TigerSeal.
Finally, is that some form of Mahogany you've used ? I'm pretty certain my original wood is Oak, and wondered if you had decided to change it or perhaps they were made with various woods.
SherpaSam

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Betty Bedford on Mon Dec 22, 2014 9:02 pm

hia sorry for not replying i haven't been on in ages as we have been moving house and Betty is in having some welding done its been so long i can no longer remember what she looks like!! the seals around the doors and the roof are cream cracked and need urgently replacing but i haven't gotten round to doing it yet they are sort of glued in to rusted metal (no expert but pretty sure thats not good lol!) yeah it is mahogany used which isn't the original wood but it was FREE so i wasn't complaining ;) cant WAIT to get her back and hopefully she is having some anchor point put in and some seat belts put in the back for the little-un. Anyway thats a brief update Merry Christmas one and all! xxx
Betty Bedford

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by roli on Tue Dec 23, 2014 7:56 am

I think its great you take the trouble to detail the work you have done on the van. It will help and inspire others to have a go. In particular to the CFs as there are still quite a few around

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Warwick Duo
Vehicle Year : 2016

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Betty Bedford on Sun Dec 28, 2014 8:37 pm

Thanks Roil we do hope our misadventures are helpful to others and help people to have a go. 
allthumbz
Betty Bedford

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Betty Bedford on Tue Jun 02, 2015 11:47 am

Ok so I have Betty back for now, and feeling very disheartened. The wood that we put on the roof has now well pretty much rotted and is leaking through with all of these storms that have hit it. Soooo I'm thinking that I shall replace with a thin metal and this time make sure that someone SEALS IT DOWN WITH SEALENT !!!!!  right as for the rust the wheel arches have been done but the gutters STILL need doing and bodge it and scarper (aka hubby and father in law) are now talking about completely removing the roof to do this as the original roof under the fibreglass has rooted away. Please please please can anyone give some better advice or calm my nerves over this also is there any way to remove the gutters or make them so they don't have the tendency to rot and leak? Thanks very much from a Bedford in need.
Betty Bedford

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by daisy mae on Tue Jun 02, 2015 12:29 pm

Oh dear, I feel gutted for you, sorry I cannot help re-repairs, sure someone else will be able to help.

Keep your chin up, all is not lost, she will survive, so take heart and help will be along shortly.

Sorry I cannot help.
Kind regards,
Margaret
daisy mae
Donator
Donator

Female

Auto-Sleeper : Anniversary Clubman
Vehicle Year : Oct. 2003 VW 2.5 TDI

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top