What's Vintage ?

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

What's Vintage

Post by newterry on Sun Jul 01, 2012 3:26 pm

When does a 'van become 'Veteran' then ??
newterry
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Harmony 1.9TD
Vehicle Year : 1999 reg

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Relative Vintage

Post by Otto on Sun Jun 30, 2013 5:18 pm

Hi, Otto my 20 year old VW T4 Trident I would regard as modern, especially compared to other  VW campers I've pitched with, but often on campsites Otto is by far the most senior, smallest and most basic outfit around and usually the only one without a satellite dish ! So I guess it's relative.
Colin
Otto

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Trident

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Teething problems ! Sorry a bit long winded

Post by triclops on Tue Sep 03, 2013 11:10 pm

I have recently purchased a 1985 Bedford CF250 2.3 with overdrive and a gas conversion and love it to bits - but at the moment it's in two different counties!
After our first couple of short runs out for the day, we went away for the Bank Holiday to a motorhome DA at St Annes cricket club - great, got there and parked up and found that we were not level - so out with the levelling blocks and started to reverse up - and "Bang" and stalled! I thought "What was that?" It was jammed in reverse - so after rocking it about it came out of gear and I rolled forward to try again. On starting to reverse it moved about 8" and stopped - that's when I knew a tooth had broken off the reverse gear. So not wanting to spoil the weekend I drove forward onto the blocks where it stayed all weekend.
We set off back on the Monday and it drove forwards OK, so home we went. Then a friend phoned and said he had found us a little Suzuki for the bike rack on the back of the camper,  but the bike was in York! I said OK we can pick it up, but I can't reverse anywhere with the broken gear so he agreed to meet us on the main road. 
So we then set off back with the bike and just before we reached the A1M I noticed the temp gauge starting to climb - so straight into the lay-by, let it cool and checked for leaks. The radiator seemed OK but the water was down, so on topping it up I noticed that the water starting to leak from behind the belt cover. I thought "Great, that looks like it could be the water pump" - so not wanting to damage the engine I called the RAC.
I made the call at 7.30pm and the patrol man arrived at 8.15pm and agreed it was more than likely the water pump so he called for a recovery truck - which would be with us in 45 minutes. At 10.00pm a contractor arrived with his flat bed truck and said "Oh, I can't take that - its too heavy" I said "You are joking" and he asked how heavy it was.  I told him about 2.5 ton, then he wanted to see the weight plate and the bottom weight shows GVW 3500kg. He said "That's too heavy" I said "That's the GVW - the van weighs 2570kg". So off to his phone he toddled, muttering "I've been on since 9.00am and don't want to be taking something too heavy". His boss must have told him it's not too heavy, and he can carry 3500kg providing as its not over 21 feet. So he said "That's too long for me" - he obviously didn't want to take it and wanted to get home. So I said "It's not 21 feet, it's only 16 feet" to which he replied "But you have a bike on the back and that's another 2 feet" and I replied "Yes, and when I went to school 16 + 2 = 18 - so its not too long" - so a bit miffed he agreed to load it. We got the front wheels on and the rear just touching the bed of the truck and it started to scrape the ramp which is fixed under the bike rack.  "Oh, I can't take that its scraping" to which I replied "Give me two minutes whilst I remove the securing nut and R clip and put the ramp inside the van",  which gave him enough clearance. After getting all four wheels on he stopped the winch and said "I will just check the back". I said "I will come with you". "Oh you can't get out of the van, Health & Safety and all that". When he came back he said "It won't go on, I will pull your bumper off" and I said "That's not a bumper - that's a tow bar made of 4" box section!"  He said "I'm not willing to take the risk" and took the van off - he then made his excuses to the RAC and said it needed a bigger vehicle to recover us and left.
With it being Bank Holiday Monday the RAC were very busy and we were told it would be 4 to 5 hours before they could get a vehicle of that size to recover us! So at 1.30am the biggest recovery truck I have ever seen turned up - the type that recovers 40 foot HGV's!! The guy asked why the other company could not recover us - so I told him the story to which he laughed lol4. "I could have been here hours earlier with the same small truck he had, and got you and a car on as well. What a sensored1 " So we finally got home at  4.30am 
The gearbox is out and in Leeds at Adrian Bailey Classics, and the van is at my local garage waiting for the gearbox and water pump to be returned - which hopefully will be some time time next week and then put back together. 
But that's not the end of it yet folks I've been told today by my local garage that his mechanic's wife is ready to have a baby and if the parts are not back before then he will be on two weeks paternity leave     :- to be continued lol   lol4   lol4   lol4
triclops

Male

Auto-Sleeper : 1984 Bedford Clubman

View user profile

Back to top Go down

what is vintage

Post by tomkilner on Sun Feb 23, 2014 11:20 pm

Something happens to a vehicle when it stops depreciating due to age, and is then judged on its condition. It's no longer modern, and many owners develop an interest in the vehicles' history - if only because parts and information are harder to source.
Then there comes the age at which its relative rarity and the nostalgia inspired by its design start to add value.
The actual date of design and trendiness affect how old a vehicle will have to be to get into this second group. A vw t2 camper from 2000 would generally be seen as more classic than a 1985 Talbot express, due to the age of design.
tomkilner

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Frisky
Vehicle Year : 1993

View user profile http://www.bikeworkshop.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Re: What's Vintage ?

Post by eddioke on Tue Mar 25, 2014 10:37 am

Boxerman has me even more confused I have a 1987 Renault trafic which I always call a 1987 Renault trafic when I had VW`s mind I called all the t2`s I had ether early bay or late bay depending on the location of the front Indicators to assist me futher my "Renault Trafic" has the word Rapport written on the bonet, does that make it a Renault trafic Rapport?

eddie smile!
eddioke

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Renault Trafic Rappo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold on Tue Mar 25, 2014 10:55 am

Your base vehicle is a Renault Trafic and your conversion is an Autosleeper Rapport.

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo ES
Vehicle Year : 2006

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by eddioke on Sat Mar 29, 2014 6:34 am

Thanks Paulmold it also say T1000 does that mean anything?
eddioke

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold on Sat Mar 29, 2014 7:41 am

T refers to it being front wheel drive, the rest of the numbers refer to wheelbase length and height, see this it's as clear as mud..

http://www.renaultownersclub.com/trafic.shtml

Donator
Donator

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by eddioke on Wed Apr 02, 2014 5:32 pm

I see what you mean about the mud lol I got as far as the most popular engines and stopped because almost every one ive looked at on ebay mainly for insperation plus the few owners I have spoken to seem to have the same 1720cc engine mine has and thats not in that list, Thanks for all the help. I am now fighting the inside of my van its had three diffrent layouts this week, I think I have settled on current one which is: Removing the fridge (dont need it) I have now replaced the fridge near side beside the barn door with the wardrobe from the off side opposite, I have reversed all the pannels / packing pieces so it ready to go. I am now making one good out of two poor cabinets that held the cooker one side and sink / drainer the other side the reason for this was the previouse owner cut and added to the cooker side one so he could fit a portapotty under the cooker !!!!!!!!!! I didnt like that idea one bit, The remains of the cabinet that held the fridge will make up into a new cabinet for the sink and I will fill the space where the wardrobe was with a low locker to cover the wheel arch with a coffee table for the top.

Eddie
eddioke

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold on Wed Apr 02, 2014 5:41 pm

Why not post some photos of the job as you progress? Be interesting to see. Good luck with the renovation.

Donator
Donator

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave 418 on Fri Sep 26, 2014 11:35 am

A certain Motorhome magazine has a 1996 van for sale in its vintage van pages. As this the same age as my Duetto is this implying any van of that age is a Vintage. shrugg From what I seen on the Forum there appears to be more older vans appearing. Is this due to the rising cost of new vans, we certainly cant justify paying more for a new van than our house cost.
We hope to keep ours a bit longer yet hence the body work being restored at the moment. campervan

Dave 418
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Rienza
Vehicle Year : 2005

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by SherpaSam on Fri Sep 26, 2014 4:23 pm

Keeping vehicles on the road is the greenest way.
The CO2 involved in scrapping one vehicle and building another far outweighs the CO2 from use; Particularly with Campers, which have higher CO2 involved in construction due to all the extra stuff, and Lower emissions due to  (generally) fewer road miles.
Also, getting local tradespeople to repair them keeps the money in the local economy, rather than some multi-national vehicle producer. Although, if it's another Auto-sleeper at least the conversion is uk based :¬)
SherpaSam

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Gran on Fri Sep 26, 2014 4:27 pm

Well as far as we are concerned, our 1996 Boxer is young, whatever anyone says. We regard her as the last word in luxury - on the rare occasions when all her systems are working as they should!
Gran
Gran

Female

Auto-Sleeper : Harmony

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by eddioke on Sat Mar 14, 2015 9:45 am

Paulmold wrote:Why not post some photos of the job as you progress? Be interesting to see. Good luck with the renovation.

Would a camera with a top shutter speed of 1000th of a second be fast enough to catch my design change before I change my mind and start all over again, I doubt it, when (or if) it come back from the MOT test station with a new test certificate, I am going to try the 3/4 size Rock & Roll bed (on the side door side) design, any one done this? any advice. confused3  

Hopefully I will be able to build a box to store the spare wheel jack etc on the fixed part of the bed (as would be on top of the engine bay on a VW T25) scratch head
eddioke

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Pooky on Sat Mar 28, 2015 8:29 am

Does my 1989 transit Autosleeper Flair count ?
Pooky

Male

Auto-Sleeper : 1989 Ford

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Shuggiegreen on Mon Mar 30, 2015 10:02 am

My van is 18 years old I consider it a classic but not vintage.
Shuggiegreen

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Clubman GL
Vehicle Year : 1997

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by m8form8 on Mon Mar 30, 2015 2:16 pm

I certainly think were on the edge of Classic with a 20 year old van, but I do feel to "claim to be a classic" any modification's to original specifications should be done very carefully and in some cases should not been made. The former owner of ours was fanatical about keeping it as it was, so a new colour scheme is out of the question to start with, so its hard to say if something is a classic or just an old van.  hugegrins hugegrins hugegrins
m8form8

Male

Auto-Sleeper : None
Vehicle Year : Vehicle

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Shuggiegreen on Mon Mar 30, 2015 4:59 pm

m8form8. I see your van as a Classic I have thought of re upholstering mine but as it is original I have left it as it is for the time being.
Shuggiegreen

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Clubman GL
Vehicle Year : 1997

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by m8form8 on Mon Mar 30, 2015 5:13 pm

Its pretty classic and much admired by garage i still think its not quite in the full role of a classic although all original apart from led bulbs. But to my mind classic is a bit older lol.  wave IT will be a classic if I look after it as well as last owner internally it is excellent, only one mark on upholstery. Underneath I am told it is cleaner than a 3 year old van.. I just dread the dog deciding to chew something.  snigger snigger snigger That is going to make it just an old van !
m8form8

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by CC on Mon Mar 30, 2015 8:31 pm

m8form8 wrote:I certainly think were on the edge of Classic with a 20 year old van, but I do feel to "claim to be a classic" any modification's to original specifications should be done very carefully and in some cases should not been made. The former owner of ours was fanatical about keeping it as it was, so a new colour scheme is out of the question to start with, so its hard to say if something is a classic or just an old van.  hugegrins hugegrins hugegrins

I agree leaving it original is the best route, personally I'd hate to buy one of these vehicles where it had been altered or updated by the previous owner, it would be enough for me to walk away. They are great vehicles and deserve to be cherished as they are up!

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EL Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

View user profile http://www.autosleeperforum.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post by Peel on Wed May 06, 2015 2:41 pm

Otto wrote:Hi, Otto my 20 year old VW T4 Trident I would regard as modern, especially compared to other  VW campers I've pitched with, but often on campsites Otto is by far the most senior, smallest and most basic outfit around and usually the only one without a satellite dish ! So I guess it's relative.
Colin

Agreed that it's all relative. When people ask me about my camper I usually say "It's a Volkswagen, but not an old one" to avoid them thinking I run something air-cooled. But my bus is now 21 years old with a petrol engine, wind-up windows, fully analogue dash and plenty more besides that would mark her out as ancient to a lot of people.
Peel

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Trident

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by m8form8 on Wed May 06, 2015 2:49 pm

Cruising Comet wrote:

I agree leaving it original is the best route, personally I'd hate to buy one of these vehicles where it had been altered or updated by the previous owner, it would be enough for me to walk away. They are great vehicles and deserve to be cherished as they are up!
I wish you would tell my dog this he shredded all the original curtains last week in a fit because he got out of his cage while we were out of the van for 15 minutes.  lol4 He suffers separation anxiety silly dog! Oh well they were a bit thin and the header tapes a bit on the sun bleached and nearly rotted stage. Will not make the same mistake again but as we were house hunting thought he would be ok for a little while.  Whistle1 Whistle1 Whistle1  That's a No then..
m8form8

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum