Heater on T25

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Heater on T25

Post by mbcamper on Mon Mar 03, 2014 8:35 pm

I'm in the process of cleaning up / welding / and eventually painting my 1986 VW T25 Autosleeper.

Now on the side of my van is this:

So in order to clean up the rust around it I decided to remove it... whereupon it kind of fell apart.

Oh well, at least the side of the van has cleaned up okay and will repaint without new sections welding in place  allthumbz .  Which is a good point considering other areas I'm having to repair  uncertain ... I do like these faces you can put on your post smile! .

Anyway back to the point...  I've researched the interesting red box on the inside of my van to which the rusty thing is connected to.  It's a Propex heater which is powered my both electric and gas with a thermostat too!!!  High tech stuff!  From what I understand the hole is an air intake (there is an exhaust that comes out from the bottom of the van which you can see in the first photograph).

So I have a hole in the side of my van which is currently plugged with a convenient rubber bung to stop the rain from getting in.  This isn't a permanent solution, so after a long winded post...  who sells a replacement air intake for my Propex heater?  I'd like something which doesn't rust to bits!

Thanks

Mark
mbcamper

Male

Member Age : 45
Auto-Sleeper : T25

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Heater on T25

Post by -mojo- on Mon Mar 03, 2014 9:35 pm

Propex heaters are still made and are very popular (though my experience of the gas side is that they are pretty expensive to run). You may even still be able to get spares, depending on the exact model.

http://www.propexheatsource.co.uk/type/air
-mojo-

Male

Member Age : 18
Auto-Sleeper : Trooper
Vehicle Year : 2006

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by algy on Tue Mar 04, 2014 10:00 am

Hi Mark, I had a Propex heater in my VW Bay, they are really efficient, my point is that I had a problem with the fan sticking and so rang Propex technical and they are really helpful even though the heater I had was now obsolete, they advised me on a repair when I had it in bits... cheers.Algy
algy
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 61
Auto-Sleeper : Clubman GL
Vehicle Year : 1996

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold on Tue Mar 04, 2014 10:44 am

The Propex with exhaust and inlet pipes coming out at different angles i.e side and down was the X1. Instructions are still available to download if you haven't got them..

http://www.propexheatsource.co.uk/pdf/instructions

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 66
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo ES

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by mbcamper on Tue Mar 04, 2014 3:33 pm

Thanks for replies. 

I have today contacted Propex and they said that the intake component was not supplied by them and that it was something which Autosleeper will have sourced and installed.

So I contacted Autosleeper and their parts person had never seen anything like it, so suggested it wasn't a part they have any more. 

Ah the joys of owning an older van.

I feel a bit of resourceful adapting of some other items :-)   Will post back with what I end up with.
mbcamper

Male

Member Age : 45
Auto-Sleeper : T25

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold on Tue Mar 04, 2014 4:30 pm

Propex do a marine outlet 'through hull fitting', it is to take both inlet and exhaust. Perhaps you could adapt it in some way..

http://www.propexleisure.co.uk/shop/marine-through-hull-fitting

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 66
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo ES

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by AS Rambler on Wed Mar 05, 2014 10:53 am

Hi Mark - We are just selling our 1985 T25 having now purchased a Rambler.
I fitted a propex heater which worked well although the fan was a bit noisy. 
Propex were really helpful with regarding info etc. I also do quite a lot of sailing and
have seen numerous cruisers with a stainless steel hull fitting which might solve your problem. Good luck with your T25, we traveled miles and miles in ours and it was a reluctant sale

regards peter
AS Rambler

Male

Member Age : 65
Auto-Sleeper : Rambler

View user profile

Back to top Go down

t25 heater.

Post by kamperman on Fri Jun 27, 2014 4:30 pm

we have an 84 t25,with the same heater as yours,only the inlet is under the van,mid point ,facing out on the edge of the sill.saves cutting holes in the panels. still cannot get it to fire up though,after 11yrs.
kamperman

Male

Member Age : 67
Auto-Sleeper : VHT

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum