Snowdonia campsites ?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Snowdonia campsites ?

Post by JimCul on Thu Aug 04, 2011 7:40 am

Hi, we are off to North Wales in 2 weeks time. I have checked the caravan and camping club website and found a site at Beddgelert, but with mixed reviews. Has anybody used any campsites in the area they could recommend please.
many thanks,

Jim and Culide
JimCul
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Legend 2.5 td

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Snowdonia campsites ?

Post by andygump on Thu Aug 04, 2011 9:00 am

Hi

There used to be a nice Campsite in Llanrwst, I think it was called Kerry's Orchard. I haven't been there for some years, but Llanrwst is a nice base for exploring Snowdonia.

Andy

andygump

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Topaz
Vehicle Year : 1996

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by cal on Thu Aug 04, 2011 9:51 am

one of our favorite was the Caravan club CL -Joys of Life Country Park www.thejoysoflife.co.uk Bethesda, LL57 4YW

and the other one we stayed at was a CC Club site Coed-Y-Llwyn Caravan Club Site in Gellilydan, Ffestiniog, Gwynedd, LL41 4EN which was very clean and peaceful when we were there.
cal
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Executive

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Snowdonia Sites.

Post by whisky on Thu Aug 04, 2011 10:59 am

Hi Jim and Culide.

Like Cal I have Stayed at the cc club site Coed-Y-Llwyn It suited me. I drive an Executive your Legend is just a tad bigger so do not trust a Sat Nav around Snowdonia it will send you down some impossible roads. Great place to visit don't miss going to the top of Snowdonia itself ( I took the train ) The new centre up there is fantastic. Oh by the way you can park your van in the huge hotel car park just over the road from the train station for a small fee.

Enjoy your trip. Whisky. wave
whisky

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Executive

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by JimCul on Fri Aug 05, 2011 2:00 am

Thank you all for the info, much appreciated, looking forward to the trip now just hope we get some decent weather.
Many thanks,

Jim and Culide
JimCul
Donator
Donator

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

beddgelert

Post by bonnie on Mon Aug 08, 2011 2:55 pm

Hi
We have just come back from Snowdonia. Stayed at the Forest Holidays/ C and C Club campsite, at Beddgelert, and it suited us. It really depends what you are looking for.
If you want quiet, there are pitches well away from the main block/playground. But it is the middle of the Summer holidays and it will be busy. Most of the pitches are level and all have electric I think. Most of the pitches are shady, as it is a forest campsite, and most pitches are surrounded /covered by trees, so not much sunbathing!! Showers and toilets ok.
We found a quiet spot - right next to the railway. Steam trains go past a few times during the day, and people wave to you - so if you don't mind that.
There are forest/hill walks directly from the campsite, so there is no need to drive to do a walk.
There is a shop with very limited supplies, but they do bake fresh bread on the premises. Staff very friendly and helpful.
About a mile + walk along the road to the village, but there is also an (infrequent) bus.
You can get a day pass on the bus and get on and off it as much as you want to go to the start of a walk , then get on again at a different place at the end of a walk.
downside - lots of midgies -tiny ones, but they do bite - take strong insect repellant.
You would really have to drive to get shopping or go out to eat.
We have also stayed at Cwmlanarch campsite, about a mile from Betws y Coed. Smaller campsite - there is a camping/tent field and about six hard standing pitches with water and electric. You can walk along a track into the town - takes about 20-30mins. Shorter along the road, but no footpath, so a bit dodgy, especially with a dog. Lots of places to eat in the town. If you have dog, The Royal Oak Hotel has a big outdoor dining area. Lots of walking gear shops in Betws.

As i said, it really depends what sort of campsite you want.

Hope this helps.

bonnie

Female

Auto-Sleeper : Talisman 1999

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by JimCul on Mon Aug 08, 2011 11:04 pm

Hi Bonnie, many thanks for the info, very informative. I have heard about the midgy problems from friends, it wouldn,t bother myself too much but my other half hates them. I am looking for somewhere close to mount Snowdon, my wife is just looking for peace and tranquillity. So i suppose the big campsites will be a no no, with the school holidays, [ i forgot about that as i work away ]. But many thanks for the info , all the best,

Jim and Culide
JimCul
Donator
Donator

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by bonnie on Tue Aug 09, 2011 9:17 am

Hope you have a good time. If you do find a nice quiet campsite, we'd love to know, as it's an area we like, and it's difficult choosing a site from a book or the internet. Ideally with a dog-friendly pub within walking distance.
Have fun wave wave
bonnie

Female

Auto-Sleeper : Talisman 1999

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Snowdonia campsite

Post by JimCul on Mon Nov 21, 2011 5:29 pm

hi all, we never made it this year, we got as far as Chester, but had to get back home as i got called back to sea. Planning to go next spring now, hopefully,
Jim and Culide
JimCul
Donator
Donator

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum